Front Axle what to do?

NAUJK

Hey everyone I am in a kind of predicament with my front JK D 30. My front D30 is bent pretty bad in a nice smiley face, and is leaking gear fluid so bad that it empties in a day or so. I know I could put new axle seal but it is still bent very very noticeably. I do not have the money to put in a new prorock and do a regear for the rear. I would love to do it but I do not think I can make it happen. I am just kinda thinking out loud, I am not 100% sure what to do. Ill see if I can get a good picture of it tomorrow. So I guess im trying to decide what to do with it. Get another D 30 (with 3.2 gears...) or Find a Rubi take off and regear the rear?

For either one... If you have either axle and are willing to sell for a good price and you are close to the Southwest (Arizona) Area let me know!

Whats yalls opinion on this?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
"The cheapest and the fastest" would be another Dana 30. You could probably find one for free if you looked long enough.

However, you've bent your current 30 somehow or another to where it looses fluid in under a day. So I would assume you would most likely do the same again. Your thinking a Rubi 44 which would be cheaper than a PR44. However, you would have to regear it to match your current rear axle or regear the rear to match the front or regear both depending on tire size now and future. This would be a good time to change both if needed. The Rubi 44 is essentially a Dana 30 with a different center section. So again I would assume you would/could do the same to it as you've done to your 30.

So while it costs more money right now go with the PR44 at the least. Then regear the rear. You'll be money ahead in the long run.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, if you're in a pinch for cash, I would look for a used Dana 30 to hold you over. It'll be your cheapest bet and will buy you some time until you can afford a real upgrade. I personally would not waste any money on a Rubicon 44 (which have the exact same axle tubes as a 30) as you'll find yourself in the exact same position sooner than later only with less money to work with.

NAUJK

I'm getting the prorock 44!!! Can't wait!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom