Currie AntiRock and how it works

sparkymoffett

So I upgraded about a month ago from standard front sway bar to the AntiRock. I actually don't mind the body roll on the highway on ramps. It keeps me awake.
However, when looking at a picture from this weekend, it seems to me that it's not doing what it's supposed to do. Or maybe i'm smoking crack.
I did remove the rear sway bar as it was only as big around as my thumb.
So, is my lack of rear sway bar not allowing the antirock to do it's job?

jess caribou.jpg

With no sway bar in the rear it doesn't surprize me that all the flex is happening there first. Until you hit the end of your travel in the rear the Antirock (or any ) sway bar will reduce flex ease out of the front.

Also, while the rear sway bar is small I would never run without it. Sometimes too much flex is actually a bad thing (off camber being one). At times I actually reconnect my rubi sway bar to intentionally carry a tire over a hole or add stability in off-camber situations. The only place I can see this being an advantage is on an RTI ramp...

sparkymoffett

Thanks man. after seeing the picture, i'm like "damn, it doesn't seem to work" (seeing the amount of lean on the jeep.) then I started thinking about the physics of it and remembered that i did away with the rear and so now, that is flexing.
oh darn, i have to wrench on the jeep again.

UpsideUp

Sorry to bring up a dead thread but I was hoping for a clearer picture on how an AntiRock worked.
I understand disco's and how it allows the body to not attach to the axle therefore allowing the axle to "dance" independent of the body.
But I just don't get the science behind the antirock. LoL
How does it accomplish the same idea if it remains connected while off road? Does it allow more flex than the standard sway bar by being longer?
Seems like it would not be a stiff as stock one on the road and not as flexible as a disconnected sway off road. Is it more of a compromise between the two that makes it effective?
And I thought having one in the rear would be a poor compromise on road yet you always see them in both front and rear?
Can anybody help me understand?
Thanks in advance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
An Antirock is just a sway bar with a softer than factory torsion rate. The idea is that it'll still offer enough resistance to help provide stability but not so much that it will limit flex. From experience, I can tell you that it doesn't work as well as the faithful fanboys will try and tell you it does. As mentioned, the torsion bar is A LOT thicker than the factory rear sway bar and it WILL limit your flex. Of course, I have always found them to squeak like a banshee as well.

That being said, I would NOT run my Jeep without a factory rear sway bar. It may be thin but it does a great job of providing stability and I have NOT found it to limit my flex even with my EVO Lever and it's 14" of vertical travel.

UpsideUp

Squeak squeak..
LOL! ! That was pretty funny. I instantly could picture what that might be like.

And thanks Eddie for that detailed explanation. I was looking at them for a minute and I guess I will just stick to my simple Disco's and save the money for a locker/gears.
Your help is always appreciated.

sparkymoffett

I've since added the rear antirock. I like the fact that I don't have to deal with connecting/disconnecting at trails (Sahara model so no e-disco)
Haven't had any squeaks as of yet.
Yes, you don't get as much flex as you would with being fully disconnected but, it's not horrible. see my avatar pic..

UpsideUp

I've since added the rear antirock. I like the fact that I don't have to deal with connecting/disconnecting at trails (Sahara model so no e-disco)
Haven't had any squeaks as of yet.
Yes, you don't get as much flex as you would with being fully disconnected but, it's not horrible. see my avatar pic..

Thanks for chiming in. Kind of impressed me that you saw my post today even though the thread is a year old.:thumb:
Glad you enjoy your AntiRock. I was thinking if I were to do one I would imagine the back would be my first choice and disconnected in front. But as Eddie mentioned...his sees huge flex while still being connected so I guess I will just save the money for now and learn from his experience. And not saying they all squeak but that is the last thing I need is another squeak on a quiet trail. LoL

sparkymoffett

No worries at all. I sit at a computer all day long, so I keep a tab open to WAL. And it refreshes with the new posts.
I would have re-installed my stock rear but, alas, I gave it to a buddy..

Top Bottom