Metal Cloak fenderz

titus7

I'm looking at changing my fenders out and I have seen and really like the Metal Cloak fenders. being as I'm new to all of this, I was just wandering if anyone had any experience with them, their durability, craftsmanship, and customer service?

Any stories, pics, info is appreciated.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
You want stories of the fenderz? Or of the company and their products in general?

KingCopperhead

I have their overlander front fenders on my TJ. They're nice. Powder coating is garbage, I'd paint em myself if I were to do it again. Their jk lineup of parts doesn't interest me though.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I like the ideas of the fenders and running a smaller lift to clear 37s....but I was able to do that with flats and a 2.5 lift so yeah lol.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
They're really nice, just pricey. They seem to think they'd give you more clearance than any other brand's fenders, which just sounds like marketing hype to me. I'd love to see someone do a true comparison against a set of Poison Spyder to see if the clearance claims are really true.

That being said, their inner fenders probably do give more tire clearance than the stock plastic ones and still give your engine bay some coverage.

The highline fenders are only an advantage if you run the 6-pack shocks, which I am not a fan of. Any other flat or trimmed fender will get you all the up travel a standard shock can handle. (I'm not sure how this plays out with coil-overs.)

I like the lines and design but both sets I have seen in person were poorly rusted (one year old). There is rumor of aluminium in the future.... That would be nice.

ltdanlj

No experience with their JK line, but I run them on my LJ with about 1" of lift and I clear 35's... I'll echo what everybody else says about the powdercoating though!!!

CanadianJK

I like the ideas of the fenders and running a smaller lift to clear 37s....but I was able to do that with flats and a 2.5 lift so yeah lol.

MC claims 37s with no lift. I don't want to lift too much so was considering this.

Your profile says 3" plush rides, did you only net 2.5?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
MC claims 37s with no lift. I don't want to lift too much so was considering this.

You can "fit" 37s by cutting your factory fenders. Do they claim that they wont rub as well?

Loading please wait....

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

before he had the 3" plush rides hinrich had 2.5" lift. he was able to fit 37's with flat fenders just fine.

CanadianJK

I agree with you guys on free cut fenders, my main concern is the amount of tree rubbing that I get into up here, have been considering the high lines as a solution to keeping trees at bay. The curvature should allow the jeep to slide off.

The other side of the argument (I argue with myself regularly) is to put the fender $$ into the suspension. Likely better bang for my buck. Thoughts?

CanadianJK

before he had the 3" plush rides hinrich had 2.5" lift. he was able to fit 37's with flat fenders just fine.

I figured as much, darn. I love the reviews I hear for plush ride, but being a light 2dr I figure I'll net 3.5 and don't want that much... Hmm

I agree with you guys on free cut fenders, my main concern is the amount of tree rubbing that I get into up here, have been considering the high lines as a solution to keeping trees at bay. The curvature should allow the jeep to slide off.

The other side of the argument (I argue with myself regularly) is to put the fender $$ into the suspension. Likely better bang for my buck. Thoughts?

Many will argue that the stock fenders will simply break away when you hit a tree. I absolutely agree with this theory when the fenders are trimmed, but I know first hand that the stockers will/can cause considerable damage to the sheet metal before giving up.

I have the PSC narrow fronts and like them. I have hit trees and rocks and they have held up well. I chose them because they come with some inner supports to tie the flare to the inner structure and don't just hang on the sheet metal.

Metalcloak has this too but I believe it is an adder. I have not seen how they hold up to a hit so I can't make comment.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I figured as much, darn. I love the reviews I hear for plush ride, but being a light 2dr I figure I'll net 3.5 and don't want that much... Hmm

with heavy front 1/4 pounder, genright carrier, and 37's with slabs i believe he yeilded about 3.5 if not less. my teraflex 2.5 makes me sit almost the same height as him and im on 35's. as for the ride, its amazing! as soon as he took me for a ride i instantly hated my lift lol

CanadianJK

Jnabird - thanks for the input, the trimmed fenders sound like a good option. Both your answers have given great info ref flare options!

Coz - damn you! Lol I guess I'll look into what it takes to get plush coils in Canada. I'll likely just order the coils and build the rest with a local company to avoid import fees etc at the border.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
yeah im around 3.5 of lift which was only slightly more than the tf kit...I just got tired of the ride on those. I have a set sitting around if your interested and the shipping isn't crazy to get them to you.

CanadianJK

Really don't want a stiffer ride. I won't hijack the thread to discuss coils, but thanks for the offer! I'll keep ya in mind as I sort out the way ahead for my JK. Currently doing a bunch of 'accessory' mods (OBA lighting etc). Lift still in the planning stages

Top Bottom