Metal Cloak fenderz

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
The consideration point for me on any fender is whether you a) want to have to do touchup and b) care about body damage. With the cut factory flares you have lots of give so they just bend and come back. With all the guys I've seen with nice metal flares they look great but if you hit something you're either doing touchup or you're going to have some body damage sometimes because there is no give.

If you really like the MC flares, go for it, but from a protection stand point I don't think they're worth the money really because they just don't do much for you.

Mikead40

If you really like the MC flares, go for it, but from a protection stand point I don't think they're worth the money really because they just don't do much for you.

Just curious - what do you base this on? Are you running or have you installed MC fenders? Have you seen some fail to protect the tub on the trail?

Maybe Poison Spyder or Gen-Right or whomever are just as good, but either way I'd reorder these fenders any day.
The few pics (wish I had more) below are from a trail where the right side of my JK was constantly dragging along rocks, ledges and packed earth. On several occasions the fenders were bearing a significant amount of my Jeep's weight. When it was all said and done, the powder coat had taken a beating (see pic - but nothing a rattle can couldnt fix), but structurally everything was perfect. The standoff inserts (see pic from install) do a lot to reinforce the exoskin and fender, which is why I think the system does in fact provide a significant amount of tub protection.

IMG_0784.JPG

View attachment 102320

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0783.JPG
    IMG_0783.JPG
    285.6 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Just curious - what do you base this on? Are you running or have you installed MC fenders? Have you seen some fail to protect the tub on the trail?

I have a lot of MC stuff on my JK - some of which I wish I never bought, some of it is pretty good but I probably could have done just as well with another company and saved money - the one thing that I absolutely love though is their fenders and armor. Maybe Poison Spyder or Gen-Right or whomever are just as good, but either way I'd reorder these fenders any day.
The few pics (wish I had more) below are from a trail where the right side of my JK was constantly dragging along rocks, ledges and packed earth. On several occasions the fenders were bearing a significant amount of my Jeep's weight. When it was all said and done, the powder coat had taken a beating (see pic - but nothing a rattle can couldnt fix), but structurally everything was perfect. The standoff inserts (see pic from install) do a lot to reinforce the exoskin and fender, which is why I think the system does in fact provide a significant amount of tub protection.

I base this on a lot of trail running in a lot of different terrains. Especially on tree heavy trails in Oklahoma, Missouri, among other places. I'm speaking to FF in general, not MC's specifically. And to be specific, I did say that you can get damage, not that you will. Some hold up better than others. My main point was that IMO the stock flares when cut have a nice give that works well for most purposes. I have run plenty of trails where metal flares were nice, but not necessary, and in many cases worse than the plastic.

And looking at your photos, I totally see why metal ones would be important if you're running those types of trails with deep ruts..

Last edited:

Armydog

I have the MC sliders and they are holding up well. I dropped the Pumpkin on them a couple of times and they held straight and true. I have the mod cut rear fender mounts minus the flares and am ordering the arched front fenders minus flares as well

I may be a victim of cleaver marketing, but two things that I like about the MC components are that all three (rear mounts, sliders, and front fenders) tie into each other and that the flares are quickly removable.

I plan on running without flares until the 5-0 force me to put some flares on. Then I can put them on for the street and pull them off with my doors when I hit a trail. I like that the widest part of my jeep, and thus the first thing to contact a tree or a rock is the rubber side wall of my tires and NOT my sheet metal.

Agreed, I am a novice and new to this sport but that is my two cents and my plan thus far. I really like the wide stance, narrow body look on my jeep.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

DemonSpunk

I'm looking at changing my fenders out and I have seen and really like the Metal Cloak fenders. being as I'm new to all of this, I was just wandering if anyone had any experience with them, their durability, craftsmanship, and customer service?

Any stories, pics, info is appreciated.

I have the MC JK fenders with a 3" lift and 37's. Powder coating is great. Fenders are fantastic. I have an MBRP roof rack and am able to stand on the fenders to load gear (I'm 220lbs).

Attachments

• 2014-10-03 10.01.33.jpg
    2014-10-03 10.01.33.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 218
  • Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 218
I have the MC JK fenders with a 3" lift and 37's. Powder coating is great. Fenders are fantastic. I have an MBRP roof rack and am able to stand on the fenders to load gear (I'm 220lbs).

Spend one winter in an area with winter salted roads and you will feel differently about the quality of the powder coating.

I've never understood people saying a fender flare is strong because they can stand on it... The strength that is needed on the trail is from a side impact.

sent via my phone... which means I'm waiting for something and have gotten bored

CanadianJK

I've never understood people saying a fender flare is strong because they can stand on it... The strength that is needed on the trail is from a side impact.

Isn't the idea that the flares can be removed from the fenders when you're on a trail?

Isn't the idea that the flares can be removed from the fenders when you're on a trail?

I believe it is, but not all Metalcloak flares have this feature... Also my comment wasn't directed at only the MC flares but it seems ALL hard flare manufacturers seem to prove their strength by having some big guy stand on them. The truth is this only proves the factory support is strong... Stand in the right place and the factory plastic ones can be stood on :crazyeyes:

Mikead40

Stand in the right place and the factory plastic ones can be stood on :crazyeyes:

The reason that a 220lb guy standing on a fender shows strength is because in order to do without damaging or bending anything the tub has to be reinforced by the fender/skin system. The MC system does this. This reinforcement translates to lateral strength. See my pics above - I've tested them.

I'd like to see a pic of a 220 lb guy standing in the right spot on plastic fenders.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
People talk mc, I think of these. I hope these fenders are stronger than their tie rods

Attachments

• 1413657822460.jpg
    1413657822460.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 98
Top Bottom