BFG KM2, Nitto T/G, and a carrier question.

bthomas

I've searched every way can think of and can't really seem to find what I'm looking for. Ive got a 2012 2 door sport, 17" moabs, 2.5+ lift. I've had KM2's in a metric 33x10.50 that were really a 31-32" at best, I just got 35's and as I found out/knew they are just a bit over 33" at proper psi on the jeep, on the ground. I did find lots of posts about them being undersize before and after the fact...I thought I wouldn't be quite this disappointed in them. Had good luck with my previous set, so I went back to the thing I knew, ya know?
I have 30 days to return them to discount. Is a Nitto Trail Grappler M/T 35 going to be much taller if I swap, or am I splitting hairs?
It's an E load range tire, so are they really stiff at proper psi for a jeep? Something around 25-28 psi would be my guess. My 33's were stiff at 28!and the 35's are almost mushy at 30, same D rating so I guess it's the extra sidewall? On the the weight part of the equation... I have rubi rails temporarily, holding out for real sliders, EVO full skid set, and am in the process of adding bumpers (PSP Brawler lite front and Brawler2 rear) and a winch, so I have some extra weight but not 4 door fully armored up kind of weight, nothing that even comes close to the rated load capacity. That also brings me to my next question, I was all set to use my stock carrier with an MBRP extension and
Daystar extended snubbers. Is this a good permanent solution for 35's or should I pony up the extra cash for the bumper with carrier? I've already ordered a Poison Soyder Rock Brawler 2 without the carrier, but now I'm starting to doubt that decision too. I've read that it will be just fine in many threads here, then I've read it's a good temporary fix until a carrier can be had. Thanks for the help, and I hope this isn't another one of "those" threads!! Sorry it's a bit long...

For what it's worth, I'm also going in for gears, probably 4.56,front gussets and a rear air locker in the next week or two, any thoughts on those are appreciated also. Thanks!

Last edited:
Nitto tires run more true to their size, but IMO not enough to justify the swap...

I have Nitto TGs on my 2-door and do not like them. IMO the "E" rating makes them too stiff for a 2-door. I know many will not agree with me but this is my opinion. They are also way heavier than the BFGs. My 35" Nittos are 6 pounds heavier than the 37 MTRs I have on my other Jeep (although the wheel likely has some to do with this as well.)

Also, the softer sidewall will be more forgiving to you running a narrow wheel. I run the Nittos at 25 psi to get even wear across the tread on a 9" wide wheel.

Edit to add...

Also, I prefer to remove the tire from the gate because I am worried about backing into something on the trail or sliding off something and catching it on the departure. This said if you control the wiggle you will likely be just fine. The JK hinge and tire carrier gets a bad wrap from inadequacies in previous generation Wranglers.

Last edited:

bthomas

Nitto tires run more true to their size, but IMO not enough to justify the swap...

I have Nitto TGs on my 2-door and do not like them. IMO the "E" rating makes them too stiff for a 2-door. I know many will not agree with me but this is my opinion. They are also way heavier than the BFGs. My 35" Nittos are 6 pounds heavier than the 37 MTRs I have on my other Jeep (although the wheel likely has some to do with this as well.)

Also, the softer sidewall will be more forgiving to you running a narrow wheel. I run the Nittos at 25 psi to get even wear across the tread on a 9" wide wheel.

Edit to add...

Also, I prefer to remove the tire from the gate because I am worried about backing into something on the trail or sliding off something and catching it on the departure. This said if you control the wiggle you will likely be just fine. The JK hinge and tire carrier gets a bad wrap from inadequacies in previous generation Wranglers.

Thanks for the response. I do like the idea of a lighter softer riding tire as it is my DD and my lift seems a bit stiff (for now) to boot. Maybe it will be better as I add some weight.
Florence Junction AZ. is basically my back yard, I can be on any of those trails in 30 minutes or so. That's where I go most often, and it's rocky. My previous KM2's never let me down. I'd like to carry my spare in the back but I can't, It's usually occupied by my daughter or my dogs. I appreciate the input from a fellow 2 door owner!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
ALL tires measure smaller than what is written on the sidewalls AND, when talking about what tires will fit a specified lift, what's written on the sidewalls IS what you should be referring to. In other words, if you have a 2.5" lift, you can run an advertised 35" tire which has an actual measurement of about 33". The ONLY time you should refer to actual tire size is when calibrating your speedometer.

JKWrang

I run a 35" mud grappler on my stock carrier with ZERO issues.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

bthomas

ALL tires measure smaller than what is written on the sidewalls AND, when talking about what tires will fit a specified lift, what's written on the sidewalls IS what you should be referring to. In other words, if you have a 2.5" lift, you can run an advertised 35" tire which has an actual measurement of about 33". The ONLY time you should refer to actual tire size is when calibrating your speedometer.

I get all that. What I was trying to find out is if there is an appreciable size difference between a 35" BFG KM2 & a 35" Nitto Trail Grappler, enough so to warrant exchanging my tires? As in, lets say a KM2 measures 33" on the ground as you would measure for speedo calibration, and a Nitto Trail Grappler measures just shy of 35" in the same situation. That might warrant a tire swap as that's close to an inch of ground clearance that can be gained. I know its only an inch... Not saying I wheel hard enough to need to get that last inch, but it'd be nice to have for the same price tire for tire.
Now if the difference is only say 33" on one and 33 3/4" to another than I wouldn't bother. The other question was regarding the Nitto being a Load D range tire and me having a 2dr that'd not super heavy. If getting the extra height meant a super stiff tire, I don't think it would be worth it for me either. They don't need to ride like a clouud of air, but my smaller KM's were quite a bit stiffer, & it would start to get pretty irritating after being in the jeep all day. In all fairness, I don't think it's all the tires as I feel my coils/shocks are too stiff for me as well. I don't personally know anyone who has the TG's so I can go "kick the tires". I know ride is purely subjective and no two butt dyno's are calibrated the same. :cheesy:

My last question was regarding the stock carrier. I know you and many others here have said time and again that it will be fine with 35's, My wheels are the stock 17's so I got an MBRP extender http://northridge4x4.com/shop/mbrp-jk-2007-14-off-camber-fabrications-spare-tire-relocate-bracket-130718 and Daystar extended snubbers.
Is this good as a permanent solution, or is it good as a temporary solution? I would think permanent for me if guys are running heavy 37's and slabs back there. :yup:

Thanks!

bthomas

I run a 35" mud grappler on my stock carrier with ZERO issues.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I know those are heavy! I would think Ill be fine as everyone has said. I read a few horror stories here and there & I guess it got me nervous.

Top Bottom