Turning Radius

thadeus618

I am trying to improve my turning radius.

I have a 2013 JKU with a 2.5" Rock Krawler kit, PR44 Unlimited front axle with RCV axles and Reid knuckles. I am getting 37" MTR tires and Method Beadlocks with 3.5" back spacing.

I lost some turning when I added the PR44 so last night I ground down the turn stops which helped turning one direction but the other direction the turn stops already didn't touch.

To find out what was limiting I took off the steering stabilizer and then the drag link. I found out with out the drag link connected I get more steering but eventually the knuckle touched the C on the axle. I have read that the max angle on the Reid's is 45 degrees and when I roughly measure mine it appears to be about only 30 degrees. I assume it is the steering box limiting my steering so I am wondering the best way to improve my radius. I would guess maybe a longer pitman arm?

The reason this is important to me is that a lot of the trails I run are pretty tight with trees and I have to do 3-4 point turns multiple times. Just trying to lessen the number of times I have to back up to make a turn I hope.

Last edited:

thadeus618

I know it is never going to be as nice as 2 Door but I wan't to get the most out the my 4 Door I can. My tires on level ground have a couple more inches before hitting anything while turning so I am hoping to use up that space and turn a little tighter.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Forget this being a 4-door problem and really, this is NOT a problem with your ProRock 44. My ProRock 44 has great turning just like stock!! You want to see sucky turning radius, run a 60 front axle. Don't get me wrong but, your problem is with your orange knuckles and maybe you should reinstall your factory ones to fix your problem. I mean, you yourself have said that you see the problem IS coming from your orange knuckles and really, what have they given you... maybe an inch or so more clearance? Hardly enough to keep your tie-rod from hitting rocks. Needless to say, they seem to be more of a hindrance than a benefit. Just a thought.

thadeus618

Forget this being a 4-door problem and really, this is NOT a problem with your ProRock 44. My ProRock 44 has great turning just like stock!! You want to see sucky turning radius, run a 60 front axle. Don't get me wrong but, your problem is with your orange knuckles and maybe you should reinstall your factory ones to fix your problem. I mean, you yourself have said that you see the problem IS coming from your orange knuckles and really, what have they given you... maybe an inch or so more clearance? Hardly enough to keep your tie-rod from hitting rocks. Needless to say, they seem to be more of a hindrance than a benefit. Just a thought.

I thought it was them also but with the drag link disconnected I do get more turning radius, not a lot but more. Unless the connection point for the drag link on the Reid knuckle is shorter giving me less throw. I never thought of that. That would be a bad design.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I thought it was them also but with the drag link disconnected I do get more turning radius, not a lot but more. Unless the connection point for the drag link on the Reid knuckle is shorter giving me less throw. I never thought of that. That would be a bad design.

Right, but as you yourself have pointed out, this is only the case with the drag link disconnected and you can't drive without your drag link. Of course, what is your drag link connected to? Your orange knuckles. Trust me, if turning radius is important to you, I would seriously consider going back to factory knuckles as they are very strong. You can easily sell what you have and get back most of what you paid for them and use the money to get an HD tie-rod if you don't already have one. Being that you're only 2.5" of lift, you don't really need a drag link flip or track bar relocation bracket installed and so you should be good to go.

thadeus618

Right, but as you yourself have pointed out, this is only the case with the drag link disconnected and you can't drive without your drag link. Of course, what is your drag link connected to? Your orange knuckles. Trust me, if turning radius is important to you, I would seriously consider going back to factory knuckles as they are very strong. You can easily sell what you have and get back most of what you paid for them and use the money to get an HD tie-rod if you don't already have one. Being that you're only 2.5" of lift, you don't really need a drag link flip or track bar relocation bracket installed and so you should be good to go.

That is the route I think I am going to go. I would like to find out how much I lost and why though. I do plan on getting the EVO bolt on coil-overs next spring after I pay off the PR44 so I may eventually need the flip and trackbar relocation.

Anyone know how many degrees they can get out of the stock knuckles? I hope the stock setup can get closer to 42-45 degrees.

Top Bottom