Superchip tuner & auto trans cooler

Clark Collins

I have a 2010 JKU sport automatic that I've just installed rubi axles in with 5.13 gears. I've increased the tire size to 315x75x16 and chopped the fenders with a leveling lift. I used the superchips tuner to set everything correctly for this combination. I'm also running the 87 octane tune which seems to work well at our nearly 5,000' altitude. Everything seems to work really well with this combination, but I have a question about transmission oil cooling. I've reset the cooling fan settings from the standard 222 at high and medium speed to 210 and set the low speed turn on from 209 to 200. Is this likely to be sufficient to prevent auto transmission overheating or should I consider an additional transmission oil cooler?

If I'm reading Eddie's Lil Nemo modifications correctly I don't see a transmission oil cooler addition and it is running 37" tires. I do moderate off-roading with no sustained high speed running and no super slow rock crawling.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you remember to use lower gears - 2nd or 1st gear when climbing long grades or 4WD LOW when needed on the trail, you won't need to worry about your transmission overheating. This is even without a tranny cooler or fan settings modified. The problem occurs when you leave your transmission in a higher gear or leave your over drive on and allow the transmission to hunt for gears.

Clark Collins

If you remember to use lower gears - 2nd or 1st gear when climbing long grades or 4WD LOW when needed on the trail, you won't need to worry about your transmission overheating. This is even without a tranny cooler or fan settings modified. The problem occurs when you leave your transmission in a higher gear or leave your over drive on and allow the transmission to hunt for gears.

Thanks for the quick response Eddie! This forum has been such a great resource and extremely helpful with my axle swap. :rock:

Top Bottom