Weird whining noise after lift.

Randonizer

Just installed a 6 inch rough country long arm on my rubicon and installed new rough country drive shafts. Today I just got a real loud whining noise when I'm moving. When I stop the noise stops. Didn't do it until today. My guess is the driveshaft but I may be wrong. Anyone have any ideas or experience on this issue??

Just installed a 6 inch rough country long arm on my rubicon and installed new rough country drive shafts. Today I just got a real loud whining noise when I'm moving. When I stop the noise stops. Didn't do it until today. My guess is the driveshaft but I may be wrong. Anyone have any ideas or experience on this issue??

If you can post up a short video. that way we might be able to assist.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
yup prob the DS. did you set your caster and pinion angle correctly? caster should be around 4.2* and the pinion angle should be pointing right at the transfer case.

Randonizer

yup prob the DS. did you set your caster and pinion angle correctly? caster should be around 4.2* and the pinion angle should be pointing right at the transfer case.

I had a shop do the install. First time I didn't do a lift myself. I'll crawl under and check the angle.

Randonizer

Alright so I'm not very knowledgable on drive shafts. First time I put them on since my last jeep only had a four inch lift. I took some pictures. Maybe that will help. I'll try to get a video. Their is a consent by subtle whining noise but then a random loud whine will occur but stop.

Front

Back

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416520311.384224.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416520311.384224.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 148
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416520329.307448.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416520329.307448.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 146
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416520342.824207.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416520342.824207.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Your rear looks low. Needs to be more inline with the driveshaft.
Front .. Measure at the pinion flange or the two flat circles on each side of the differential. For 4 degrees caster the pinion would measure 2 degrees.
The 6 degrees between caster/pinion doesn't change. Running too much caster (and with that much lift) will almost certainly cause issues ie driveshaft/TC failure.
I'm guessing a 3/3 split will work for you. 6" is a lot of lift with the factory housing, you might have to give up caster for pinion -or- start saving for a Prorock Unlimited.

SFNick

Sounds like when you put the drive shaft yoke on that the dust shield was lose. So it's spinning freely.I did the same thing. You'll have to remove the drive shaft & yoke. Take the dust cover off & through it in the trash.

Last edited:

Randonizer

I don't believe it's coming from the motor. It has only made a noise once in the past two weeks and that was after driving on the interstate. I don't know if it being colder now would have an effect on anything. Someone told me it may be because my brake pads are sticking

SFNick

I don't believe it's coming from the motor. It has only made a noise once in the past two weeks and that was after driving on the interstate. I don't know if it being colder now would have an effect on anything. Someone told me it may be because my brake pads are sticking

1'm 100% sure it's the rear yoke dust shield. One day you'll hit a big bump & it'll start up again and over time you'll start seeing metal flakes & Rust gathering In between the yoke & the shield.

Last edited:

Kavanji

1'm 100% sure it's the rear yoke dust shield. One day you'll hit a big bump & it'll start up again and over time you'll start seeing metal flakes & Rust gathering In between the yoke & the shield.

that is true. could be just that.

Randonizer

now that i think about it it does occur if i hit a bump sometimes. ill see if that is the problem. thanks!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, first off, your rear pinion is NOT set and needs to be. Second, I listened to the first clip and didn't hear anything - the second clip had a harsh sound in the beginning but wasn't sure if that's what you're referring to. If it is, the pinion yoke dust shield should be the culprit and removing it may be what you're wanting to do to fix it.

Top Bottom