PDA

View Full Version : Devil's Peak Las Vegas Oct 18

MTG
10-19-2012, 09:23 AM
I decided I could use a break from the grind and joined up with the guys from warmachines702 for a little night run. We had 6 jeeps total including 4 2012 JKs.

Devil's Peak is a great little run south of Las Vegas. Little bit of a dirt road to the trail head with just enough washed out ruts to make sure you are paying attention and not going too fast. There are two big obstacles that have no bypass near the beginning, followed by a long run of washes with baby head sized boulders strategically placed to keep you on your toes. At the top is a flat area with clear views of the stars and the milky way. All in all another great run!

Managed to get a few cell phone pics to turn out.

Some old mining equipment on the way up.

Chris (2012jkfng702) working his way up.

Getting a little hang time.

Craig (FoxC) barely keeping all four on the floor.

Keith...not so much!

The only thing keeping him in place was his rear bumper.

Craig showing how it's done on the way down.

Keith needs a few more rock lights don't you think?

JeepFan
10-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Awesome! Looks like you had a great time. We must get to Vegas one day for some wheeling! What about a special Suds n Grub in Vegas and a trail run the next day! :-))

wayoflife
10-19-2012, 02:06 PM
LOL!! i don't typically "choose" to do night runs but, i can imagine there are reasons why you guys always do. :crazyeyes:

looks like you guys had a great time :cool:

jktubby
10-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Looks like fun! Glad you shared those pics with us. Its hard for me to wheel at night, to dark and not enough lighting.

MTG
10-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Awesome! Looks like you had a great time. We must get to Vegas one day for some wheeling! What about a special Suds n Grub in Vegas and a trail run the next day! :-))

Yeah, I've done 3 or 4 with these guys and have had a great time on each. There are so many trails in the area.

A suds and grub would be a lot of fun. If planned far enough out you SoCal and Az folks could make it part of a little vaca. I'll leave that to the locals to plan.

MTG
10-19-2012, 02:52 PM
LOL!! i don't typically "choose" to do night runs but, i can imagine there are reasons why you guys always do. :crazyeyes:

LOL! My usual wake up time is between 4 and 5 am so they are a bit rough on me. But when the day time temp is 110 in the summer down here, the cooler night temps (in the high 90s) are a welcome break! Also being a 24 hour town, there are a lot of work shifts that most people would consider to be odd so getting a group together can be challenging.

I have say though, wheeling a night adds a whole new element and makes it that much more challenging and fun.

MTG
10-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Looks like fun! Glad you shared those pics with us. Its hard for me to wheel at night, to dark and not enough lighting.

Sure thing. Agreed, it's harder on the eyes, both driving and spotting. Especially without rock lights!

Notajerryskid
10-19-2012, 04:14 PM
was trying to make this run. but could not find a sitter. >:(

FoxC
10-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Mike...thanks for the pics, and glad to see ya as always! A suds n grub/ trail run sounds great. I'm sure we can get something orginized and get it posted up...:standing wave:

Skirmish
10-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Well, I've got three more rear bumper rock lights to wire in plus the two rear accents so yeah, I probably do have enough rock lights. Now I need engine compartment lights. :0

Great running with ya again Mike. Next time it's your turn to put on a show. My plan was to disappear in a cloud of smoke. I got the smoke part down.

Sharkey
10-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Bets on how long it is before MTG purchases night vision goggles?

piginajeep
10-19-2012, 06:31 PM

You might not choose, but you certainly do enough of them

2012jkfng702
10-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Holy Just waking up!!! That was a great run last night guys, great Pics mike. Got home at 1:30 then had baby duty til 5:30. A Suds and Grub would be awesome, If any out of towners want to get something together like that just give us a week or two notice and we can make it happen. Kieth my bad on being dyslexic but it made for some cool pics ;). Mike, always a pleasure making your mornings a little more difficult to get up to. What time did I say we were gonna be done??? 11:30:cheesy:. Craig, another good one glad your in my neighborhood now :beer:. Now, just got to go out to the Jeep and unload, hopefully there isn't a Mt. Lion in there... I know I heard a door shut last night!!!:beer::beer::beer:

MTG
10-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Holy Just waking up!!!
Damn you!

Now, just got to go out to the Jeep and unload, hopefully there isn't a Mt. Lion in there... I know I heard a door shut last night!!!:

Yeah, me too. That was pretty trippy.

For everyone else...we were all standing around at the summit having a good chat and enjoying the gorgeous view of the night sky before heading back down (oh and trying to see how much fluid had leaked out of Keith's engine during his bumper stand). Three jeeps, including mine and Chris', were parked about 50 feet away. All of a sudden it sounded like one of the jeep doors slammed shut! We immediately go over to investigate, but found nothing to give us a clue as to what it was. :thinking:

Maybe that's why they call it Devil Peak? :eek:

MTG
10-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Bets on how long it is before MTG purchases night vision goggles?

LOL! If I thought it would help I might. First up is a set of trucklites.

Skirmish
10-20-2012, 02:19 AM
No worries Chris. The girls didn't freak out as much there as on the way down the first waterfall so we did alright. I think we are going to have to tie a couple anchors to Knuckles cause I didn't see Mike struggle enough out there.

For anyone interested and Mike who hasn't seen it in the daylight I have video of a day run up Devil's Peak. It can be brutal or really brutal depending on what you run.

www.youtube.com/skirmishstudios702

http://youtu.be/vFdnSc_unio

http://youtu.be/lCAaAlyPS8w

http://youtu.be/d5npMymEOTE

http://youtu.be/GX61oMIe0Ic

JKAnimal
10-23-2012, 07:28 PM
No worries Chris. The girls didn't freak out as much there as on the way down the first waterfall so we did alright. I think we are going to have to tie a couple anchors to Knuckles cause I didn't see Mike struggle enough out there.

For anyone interested and Mike who hasn't seen it in the daylight I have video of a day run up Devil's Peak. It can be brutal or really brutal depending on what you run.

www.youtube.com/skirmishstudios702

Great Videos! That looks really brutal! I can't imagine doing it at night :crazyeyes:

Hats off to you guys!! I'll hopefully have my rig built up enough to get out there some day.

What would be the average size lift and tires needed for this type of trail?

OverlanderJK
10-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Awesome pics and videos! Would love to go there someday. Is there easier trails for the less modified?

Skirmish
10-23-2012, 09:27 PM
For Devil's peak you could do it with 33's and probably 2 1/2. We had a TJ on 33's with us that struggled but more because he is open. I've done the first two obstacles stock but got hung on my belly pan on the second. Needed a little winch help.

Really what you need is a good spotter and a lot of armor. My stock plastic is pretty much destroyed from the few runs I did with it on. We have trails of every level out here, I just ran a guy on 29's open and stock through another trail Sunday. It has bigger stuff for the built rigs and bypasses easy enough to get a Liberty through.

MTG
10-23-2012, 11:41 PM
There are no by passes on this particular run for the first two obstacles.

wayoflife
10-24-2012, 03:18 AM
There are no by passes on this particular run for the first two obstacles.

it's been a long while since we've run anything out that way. definitely gonna have to make some time to do them again :yup:

MTG
10-24-2012, 03:48 AM
it's been a long while since we've run anything out that way. definitely gonna have to make some time to do them again :yup:

Hopefully before the Mojave run. Knuckles is heading home to Reno sometime in November. :thumb:

Skirmish
10-24-2012, 07:02 AM
Maybe we can get you both on the South Vegas Marathon Run I've been working on. Four trails in one day covering Potato Ridge, Tie Rod Canyon, Devil Peak and Copper Cache. Should be epic if we can get it done. Probably be early March maybe?

FYI, if anyone needs to view the Devil Peak videos on mobile, use the web version. The video links there will get you past the copy write issues.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2219-Devil-s-Peak-Las-Vegas-Oct-18/page2

wayoflife
10-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Hopefully before the Mojave run. Knuckles is heading home to Reno sometime in November. :thumb:

unfortunately, i don't think that'll be possible for us even though we'll be in the area all next week. :grayno:

Maybe we can get you both on the South Vegas Marathon Run I've been working on. Four trails in one day covering Potato Ridge, Tie Rod Canyon, Devil Peak and Copper Cache. Should be epic if we can get it done. Probably be early March maybe?

FYI, if anyone needs to view the Devil Peak videos on mobile, use the web version. The video links there will get you past the copy write issues.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2219-Devil-s-Peak-Las-Vegas-Oct-18/page2

sounds like fun. that's pretty close to ejs and i suppose it'll depend on how our rigs are running or if they're running at that time :crazyeyes: