Trail dash by superchips.

4x4fun

Hey guys. Looking to buy a trail dash by superchips and was wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on this unit. Thx.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you have an automatic, it's a nice addition that will allow you to do a lot of cool things. On a manual, you really won't see a whole lot of change if any in terms of performance tunes. I just wish it had a GPS built into it.

4x4fun

Yeah ur not the only one that would like the gps feature lol. Was just wondering will it really perform better fuel efficiency.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't consider buying it if you're strictly concerned about fuel savings. It'd take a while to recoup the cost of the traildash on fuel savings. I'd look into it for the other functions it offers. And as Eddie mentioned, if you have a manual, the benefits won't be very noticeable.

4x4fun

Yeah. I agree for sure. I def want it for other things. Specially the timeing of the gear changing because on the highway I'm constantly on the gas to keep to speed. And the increase of power while off roading. Feels like the jeep has no balls. Was just curious about the gas because everyone talks about it.

JohnnyX

I've had mine for a while now n I do like all the tunes n other features it offers but I didn't realy see the benefits of it till after my regear n the shift points on my auto were right on point. I mean it helped a lil before the regear but if u want more power on the highway n up grades w/ bigger tires u gotta regear it too

4x4fun

Thx man. What did you regear it to. 4.88 or 5.13. And is it something your really satisfied with.

Off Pavement

I've got a stick in my '13 Rubicon with Trail Dash... works exactly like I want but probably not very useful for non Rubicons IMO. Though I tried the different tunes, for me I like the stock tune best for driveability. I didn't try the economy tune for effect. I found the "crawl" mode too difficult to get used to as it drastically changes the throttle response. The 87 tune created a "seat of the pants" improvement in performance as again, throttle response seems better, but I found it too responsive for my trail uses so I stick with the stock tune. If I was a pavement pounder, I'd probably use the tunes available.

As far as the other goodies I actually bought it for...

Rubicon sway bar disconnect up to 30MPH even in 2H.
Rubi E-Lockers available in 2H, 4H and of course 4L. All up to 30MPH
Tire Pressure monitor override.
Electronic inclinometer is actually pretty good as it doesn't bounce like the analog oil filled units I've seen.
Tire size and gear ratio computer corrections.
Read and clear diagnostic codes.

There are numerous vehicle metrics that can be monitored, but I don't use it much for that. You must cycle through different screens for all the data available. You have the ability to pick and choose what you wish to display per screen.
It has a high idle adjust but unless you are extended winching or perhaps have engine driven onboard air service, I've not seen a use for it.

There are several maintenance reminders programmable like oil changes etc but I don't use 'em. There are more bells and whistles than I can remember or use. All in all, if you've got a Rubicon, you may really like the TD as I do.

4x4fun

Thx for the info guys. Much appreciated. Gonna go with the trail dash and put 5.13 gears in after the holidays. ;) can't wait.

MoveRight

On their website, it says that:

Transmission performance* ('07-'10 JK Wrangler only)

Does this mean that the ability to change shift points and firmness won't work on my 2014 JKUR?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On their website, it says that:

Transmission performance* ('07-'10 JK Wrangler only)

Does this mean that the ability to change shift points and firmness won't work on my 2014 JKUR?

Not sure what that means but, so long as you have your speedometer calibrated to the gears and tires you're running, your shift points should be on. In fact, on a 2012-up JK, failure to calibrate your speedometer will result in your Jeep going into limp mode.

2011jk

Contact them but trans tuning works on my '11.
Even if you don't have a rubicon but you have arb's the trail dash will still control them using a EAS kit.

Matymaty

When I go to Amazon or EBay it says trail dash not compatible with my 2013 Moab. I took the model number straight from super chip website.

I just put on 35's and I need some recalibration. I love all the features it has. Will it work as advertised?

OJK12

I was under the understanding that we were only waiting on tunes for the 2015 models for the actual tuners. I'd shoot them an email but I think your golden.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
When I go to Amazon or EBay it says trail dash not compatible with my 2013 Moab. I took the model number straight from super chip website.

I just put on 35's and I need some recalibration. I love all the features it has. Will it work as advertised?

90% of things on Amazon show up as not compatible for my 2015. Not reliable to say the least.

Templar

I believe it will work up to and including 2014. I have had one sitting in my garage since December but still no update for it to work with 2015. Crazy that it is already July and still no update.... :eek:

Top Bottom