jku soft top

shortyokc

i have been keeping a eye out looking for a soft top to mainly use to get to the trails since i have a 1 year old that gets constant ear infections and likes to go with me on the trails i cant really travel with the top off. i found a used one in my local jeep club for $150 with all hardware, bracing, crossmembers, and header bar from a 2007 jku that he says is in ok shape, he also mentioned he modified the header bar to fit his 2014? is this pretty normal or anyone heard of this? what are the issues to look for besides the obvious tears, dry rott, zipper, velcro issues. help!! i really would like to wheel with the top off and i think my son would love it the more he can see...

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
i have been keeping a eye out looking for a soft top to mainly use to get to the trails since i have a 1 year old that gets constant ear infections and likes to go with me on the trails i cant really travel with the top off. i found a used one in my local jeep club for $150 with all hardware, bracing, crossmembers, and header bar from a 2007 jku that he says is in ok shape, he also mentioned he modified the header bar to fit his 2014? is this pretty normal or anyone heard of this? what are the issues to look for besides the obvious tears, dry rott, zipper, velcro issues. help!! i really would like to wheel with the top off and i think my son would love it the more he can see...

I would insist on trying that header before you take off - but for $150, that's so damn cheap it's almost worth the risk.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
as long as you get all the door surrounds and all the hardware it should fit with no issues.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. For $150, it's worth getting so long as you make sure it comes with all the hardware. If not, you'll be stuck with $150 worth of a soft top that'll just sit in your garage.

TheStick

Totally depends on your budget, but the newer style soft top, which was (2010 or 2011?) is a really nice upgrade. Might want to consider making the jump.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I picked up a brand new '12 top with tinted windows for $400 in Tucson. When I was checking around OKC, they seemed a little pretty pricey there.

The center wind shield loop is in a different spot on the earlier years, by about an inch. I think 10 or 11 was the change. The easy fix was to simply move the loop on the windshield frame.

I would look at that area on the soft top header bar to see how he "fixed" it.

Like has been said, $150 may be worth it if the top and windows are in decent shape and the "fix" is no big deal.

Good luck.

shortyokc

thanks for the info, i am suppose to go check it out some time this week or weekend. i really want a trek top but for the $ it will do what i need

RMC2

Caught the Bug
When I bought mine, i took along the factory instructions/parts list to ensure I got all the bolts and brackets. I was only missing the four bolts that hold the bows to the roll bar.

Off the top of my head: for the four door
Six bolt/thumb wheels for the door surrounds (short and long)
4 small bolts for the roll bar brakets
2 roll bar brackets (where the bows attach and may or may not be on the bows. Hard to remember the older style and haven't seen mine in months.)
2 front/2rear door surrounds
Rear window bar
Two rear window bar keepers. ( dont remember all the correct names)
Rear window, two side windows.
Top with header bar and the bows/frames attached.

Don't rely on my memory though, track down the 07 instructions.

And if it all looks good, drop your hard top and do a test install if you can to ensure all is present and functional. The fabric will possibly be tight since it is cool in OKC. If you install it, remove it from the roll bar before you put the hardtop back on.

All just recommendations from someone who spent time looking too. I hope it helps.

From a fellow Okie

Top Bottom