High Sierra irrigation

Rebel JK

Was telling my buddy about this and thought some of you guys may have come across similar setups. Curious to hear about any one elses experiences. To say the least we didn't follow the line too far. Looks like we weren't far from some ones remote garden.

Attachments

• 20130625_170259 - resized.jpg
    20130625_170259 - resized.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 20130625_171434 - resized.jpg
    20130625_171434 - resized.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 160

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Was this on the western side of the Sierra's or the eastern side? Some of the plumbing looks modern and if it is, you should be cautious as it could be irrigation for an illegal pot farm run by Mexican cartels - SERIOUSLY. This is a very real and dangerous problem in the Sierra's now.

Rebel JK

Was this on the western side of the Sierra's or the eastern side? Some of the plumbing looks modern and if it is, you should be cautious as it could be irrigation for an illegal pot farm run by Mexican cartels - SERIOUSLY. This is a very real and dangerous problem in the Sierra's now.

Eastern side. And I can assure you we were really careful as we backtracked out of the area with the Rem 710 and 870 locked loaded, ready to go.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eastern side. And I can assure you we were really careful as we backtracked out of the area with the Rem 710 and 870 locked loaded, ready to go.

Okay, most of the pot farms are on the western slope. The eastern scarp has a lot of old irrigation channels from the old days back when people used to live and farm there - back before LA took all their water. Some of the old concrete channels have been updated with modern plumbing to feed cisterns, watering troughs and some vegetation and I wouldn't be as concerned. There are some good concrete ones out north of Independence that go for a long way. Still, I would always be careful as you were when exploring them.

It's funny Wayalife mentioned the western slope, (where I live of course). About two months ago I was outside working and noticed a "skunky" smell and just about the same time along came a sheriffs office SUV up the hill pulling a trailer loaded down from a recent raid. Getting to be a common sight in my area.

Rebel JK

Yep, its pretty bad that the state ohv park website has instructions on what to do in case you come across this. They mention the skunk smell as well.

linehand08

the best part is we have the power to stop them. but we never will. saddens me that this country is falling this far.

Rubizon

It's not just the irrigation. Fences as well. I was warned about this a little while ago hiking in Mendocino. Go figure...came across a fence in the middle of nowhere and two dogs vicious dogs appeared on the trail about 50 yards ahead of me. This stuff is no joke.

cbetts

About where were you? I never saw any pot gardens around there.

Just asking since I was born and raised in the Eastern Sierras.

cbetts

Thanks to DWP, the water wars up there can get brutal. I know there is some unwanted element up there, but the locals typically do a good job of remediating the issue.

Then again, it has been many years since I have lived up there. I am still mourning over Dave McCoy selling Mammoth Ski Resort.

Top Bottom