P0455 Check Engine Code

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
So a few days ago I got the "EVAP Purge System Large Leak" check engine code P0455. I checked all of the hoses and their connections including to the EVAP and found nothing wrong. Not even the O-ring. After feeling I may had "tightened" a few things, I ran the engine test and had the same code. A bit frustrated, I decided to look at it again when I had some more time and most importantly day light.

So I had some time to look at it today and after looking into a few threads I got a few more ideas of some things to look for. With the daylight and the hood being folded all the way back against the windshield, I found a hole in one of my lines just as others have due to a battery power cable. If you look closely in the picture below you can see the hole in the line (from my view point where I saw it).

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417825390.959602.jpg

The hole was caused by the negative battery cable's rubber sheathing rubbing on it until it had worn a hole through the plastic line.

So I cut the line right above the hole and removed the rest of the line. I used a fuel hose to bridge the gap and "fix" the line.

Here are a few pictures of what I did.

Here's the hole worn through the plastic line (just under where I cut the line off at the line's bend).
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417825969.237145.jpg

I assembled the plastic line with the fuel hose while working on my mobile work table (the Jeep's fender)
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417826103.326318.jpg

Installing the modified line.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417826187.609343.jpg

Install complete.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417826241.327123.jpg

I pulled the negative battery cable for a little more than 15 minutes. Re-attached, tested and no more codes or check engine light!

I hope this helps someone in the future,
Matt

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice!! There are a lot of folks who have this problem with their JK's and it's great that you've just shown where to look for a potential problem and how to get it fixed!! Great job :thumb:

SWRUBI

Maybe a dumb question but does this only affect the 3.6? I keep getting the 0456 code on my 3.8 and have been assuming it's the gas cap??

TheDuff

Maybe a dumb question but does this only affect the 3.6? I keep getting the 0456 code on my 3.8 and have been assuming it's the gas cap??

The OP has an 07 listed as his vehicle. It's been my understanding that it's almost never the gas cap that causes the evap codes. The evap canister is sadly in a very exposed area under the Jeep and prone to getting smashed and ripped off its mounting bracket. this hose issue is also not the first I've heard of. You can have the gas cap tested and also have the evap system smoke checked for leaks, that way you don't just throw money at the issue.

SWRUBI

The OP has an 07 listed as his vehicle. It's been my understanding that it's almost never the gas cap that causes the evap codes. The evap canister is sadly in a very exposed area under the Jeep and prone to getting smashed and ripped off its mounting bracket. this hose issue is also not the first I've heard of. You can have the gas cap tested and also have the evap system smoke checked for leaks, that way you don't just throw money at the issue.

It's pays to read the user profile! I made the assumption it was a 3.6 issue as I (at least I think I have) seen posts of this nature describing this exact issue on a couple 3.6 Jeeps! On the check list of to do's now!

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys!

It was frustrating trouble shooting this engine code, but the irony was that it was right in front of me. I just needed enough light to see it at the right angle. So I decided to share it in case someone else has the same problem in the future.

Top Bottom