Installing corners and armor on body

Panda

Hey guys I'm about to install evo corners to get ready for the tire carrier and I'm wondering what's the best way to keep rust from growing behind them, when I removed the tailgate plate that came with the ps bumper and tire carrier there was a fair amount of rust behind it after only a year, rust never sleeps.. :grayno: I was wondering if any of you had a method to prevent this, maybe silicone? Or some type of gasket? I appreciate any input you guys may have

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Some good silicone, not that cheap stuff for windows. Good luck on the install. They were easier than the rock skins for me

Be sure to check to make sure the silicone is acid free.

I would recommend using some sort of lubricant as a Fluid Film Liquid A http://www.fluid-film.com. Use it when applying the skins. Also great for the undercarriage area as well.

R/
Will

I bought some mirror relocation brackets a couple years ago and they had some foam stuck to the inside mounting face. I haven't had any issues with rust (knock on wood) with them. I'm actually thinking of putting it all over the inside of my corners before installing... ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417981102.985566.jpg
It sure has been easier to take off, inspect and reinstall than silicone.

Panda

Thanks guys for your input :thumb: I got some clear RTV I'll be painting this week for install next weekend :rock:

KingCopperhead

When I installed my rocker skins we used a lot of anti seize on the nutserts and a layer of sikaflex 221 on the perimeter and around the evo logo. So far it's holding up nicely.

Gratz on the skins Panda man! Can't wait to see em. I want them for my 2 door also. Gonna have to envy you for a little while :)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I would put a lot of RTV on them. I think I used one tube on each skin when I installed mine. (And my I, I mean my friends as I stood there doing nothing)

Panda

When I installed my rocker skins we used a lot of anti seize on the nutserts and a layer of sikaflex 221 on the perimeter and around the evo logo. So far it's holding up nicely.

Gratz on the skins Panda man! Can't wait to see em. I want them for my 2 door also. Gonna have to envy you for a little while :)

Thanks King! I saw a 2 dr with the corners a couple weeks ago, looked so bad ass I had to get some, I'll post lots of pics :thumb:

Panda

I would put a lot of RTV on them. I think I used one tube on each skin when I installed mine. (And my I, I mean my friends as I stood there doing nothing)

I got two of the squeeze tubes of RTV , maybe I should get a couple more for corners thanks!

Jaydoc1

So did you just do the perimeter or coat the whole skin? I've got a pair coming from the fat man in a red suit this year and have wondered about this.

p.s. You and I use the same installation technique. I feel like Tom Sawyer whitewashing a fence sometimes.

Top Bottom