Shock upgrade

When i bought my 2.5 coil lift i did so from a cost effective angle so i just got the shock extentions. Knowing performance wise, thats not the best route, ill be lookin to replace my factory shocks and ditch the extensions. What do you all recommend. Moderate "east of the mississippi" wheeling.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I ran rancho's on my 09 and liked them. They came with their 2" leveling kit that also came with new front springs so the combination really improved the on road ride (in my opinion). I plan on getting the 9000s when I get the Enforcer lift kit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There's really nothing wrong with running factory shocks with extensions. I have run them with both Rubicon shocks and Sport/Sahara shocks and if you have Rubicon ones, I'd just leave well enough alone. But, if you're really wanting to upgrade and need to work on a budget, I personally would recommend a set of Rancho 7000's. They are a great monotube shock and are very affordable. If you want adjustability in your ride comfort, a set of 9000's would be what I think most here would recommend. Of course, there are a lot of more expensive options out there but, I don't know if they are what you really need.

There's really nothing wrong with running factory shocks with extensions. I have run them with both Rubicon shocks and Sport/Sahara shocks and if you have Rubicon ones, I'd just leave well enough alone. But, if you're really wanting to upgrade and need to work on a budget, I personally would recommend a set of Rancho 7000's. They are a great monotube shock and are very affordable. If you want adjustability in your ride comfort, a set of 9000's would be what I think most here would recommend. Of course, there are a lot of more expensive options out there but, I don't know if they are what you really need.

Im piloting a jkus, w/ only 9000 miles on it so i hated "waste" the factories. But also, being w/o lockers and on a smaller build budget, i wanna get as much flex/traction as i can. Wasnt sure if the extensions on factory length shocks would ultimately hinder that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Im piloting a jkus, w/ only 9000 miles on it so i hated "waste" the factories. But also, being w/o lockers and on a smaller build budget, i wanna get as much flex/traction as i can. Wasnt sure if the extensions on factory length shocks would ultimately hinder that.

Shock extensions will provide you with more droop but they will limit your up travel. But really, these are in a way, good things as you really don't want more droop than they would offer unless you are running exhaust spacers or really, a new u-joint style drive shaft (the better way to go) as any more droop will result in the slip shaft boot on your factory front drive shaft to get damaged as it makes contact with your exhaust cross over. As far as up travel goes, you really should be running bump stop extensions at about the same height as you have lift as that will help to prevent the over compression of your coils.

Shock extensions will provide you with more droop but they will limit your up travel. But really, these are in a way, good things as you really don't want more droop than they would offer unless you are running exhaust spacers or really, a new u-joint style drive shaft (the better way to go) as any more droop will result in the slip shaft boot on your factory front drive shaft to get damaged as it makes contact with your exhaust cross over. As far as up travel goes, you really should be running bump stop extensions at about the same height as you have lift as that will help to prevent the over compression of your coils.

Ok im with ya. Ive got bump stops on the way. If you dont think it will matter much, than there is no sense in replacing perfectly good shocks then. Hopefully quick discos will show up with santa, so that ought to help. Trying to make this rig as capable as money will allow at this point.

Top Bottom