The MotoBrain PDU

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
GCM 2 sent me a link to this new power distribution unit called "The Motobrain" and thought it was definitely something that needed to be shared here. Essentially, it's an sPod like power module that you can operate using your iPhone via Bluetooth. Check it out!

THE MOTOBRAIN PDU
IMG_9846-1024x682.jpg

So, what is it?
The Motobrain PDU (power distribution unit) is a small form factor, next generation power distribution unit. You can install the PDU in your car, truck, motorcycle, RV, boat, or pretty much anything that runs on a 12V DC system. The PDU will supply power to any sort of accessory, like aux lights, heated gear, pumps, fans, relays, or DC motors. What’s really amazing is that the PDU will pair to your mobile phone or tablet via Bluetooth 4, so you can monitor, program, and even control everything right from your touchscreen. The PDU also supports switch installations so you also have the option of controlling circuits via a dash mounted toggle switch, button, or rheostat.

Motobrain allows you to wire vehicles a whole new way. It is like networking for your vehicle’s electrical components. Similar to adding a circuit breaker box and home automation system to your vehicle. It also reduces reliance on fuses by creating current limited circuits that will shut down automatically in case of an over-current situation.

Capabilities:
◦Eight 15A circuits with PWM
◦100A maximum current
◦Fixed 20A maximum transient current
◦Programmable over-current protection on all outputs
◦Real-time telemetry via Bluetooth 4 ◦System voltage
◦Total current
◦Channel current
◦Channel PWM
◦Channel current limit
◦Channel status

◦Programmable default output behavior ◦Turn on outputs based on key, ignition, or low voltage
◦Turn off outputs based on key, ignition, low voltage, or high voltage
◦Modulate output duty cycle to create pulsing effects

◦System wide over current circuit priority
◦8 programmable analog signal inputs ◦Can behave as a digital or analog input ◦Digital input can sense GND, 12V, or disconnected
◦Analog input can sense any voltage between 0V and 20V

◦Turn outputs on or off
◦Delayed output turn on after signal
◦Toggle outputs
◦Adjust output PWM in steps
◦Link output PWM to input voltage linearly or logarithmically

How does it work?
device-2014-05-18-193445.jpg

P10007841.jpg

Power distribution - The PDU has 8 independent positive voltage outputs. Each circuit is rated at 15A @ 12V continuous current and the total nominal load the PDU can source is 100A @ 12V. To install, you only need to connect the PDU to your battery’s two terminals, connect a wire from each Motobrain output to the positive terminal of your accessories, and then make sure everything has a good connection to ground. In this way, only one wire for each accessory needs to come back to the PDU. This helps keep the the installation tidy. We suggest you install ground bars to terminate your accessory grounds in groups rather than bringing each individually back to the negative terminal on the battery. Again, to keep the install tidy.

Read more about the Motobrain on their website here:
http://www.motobrain.net/the-motobrain-pdu/

CJW

Very cool!! Wonder if it has the option for hard wire switches as well so you have both options of operation? I'll have to search more about it.
Wireless winch controller also??...hmmmm

GCM 2

Eddie, thanks for sharing the info I sent. And to be clear for any of the outsiders looking in, I have no affiliation with the company, the piece of kit was simply something I thought would be applicable to someone doing a build and needed help keeping their wiring of lights, winches, seat heaters, etc clean and simple. Seems to be cheaper than many of the current power distribution units available for jeeps.

I am primarily interested in it for my Mastercraft Baja RS seat heaters that I am currently running, since I only have a simple on off switch to control the heaters; meaning my seats get hot, and then I have to turn them off, then my seats get cold and I have to turn them back on, on and off, on and off. This device would allow me to independently control amperage to each seat, allowing infinite temperature settings.

Rccrwlr

Eddie, thanks for sharing the info I sent. And to be clear for any of the outsiders looking in, I have no affiliation with the company, the piece of kit was simply something I thought would be applicable to someone doing a build and needed help keeping their wiring of lights, winches, seat heaters, etc clean and simple. Seems to be cheaper than many of the current power distribution units available for jeeps.

I am primarily interested in it for my Mastercraft Baja RS seat heaters that I am currently running, since I only have a simple on off switch to control the heaters; meaning my seats get hot, and then I have to turn them off, then my seats get cold and I have to turn them back on, on and off, on and off. This device would allow me to independently control amperage to each seat, allowing infinite temperature settings.

Uh huh sure. I just saw that email Eddie got about the supercharger. I guess your email was better.

And oh Ya. That is a brilliant idea about the adjustable seat heaters

GCM 2

Uh huh sure. I just saw that email Eddie got about the supercharger. I guess your email was better.

And oh Ya. That is a brilliant idea about the adjustable seat heaters

Haha, I just saw the "help me get a free supercharger on your dime, Eddie" thread, pretty funny email attempt by the guy. The Motobrain seems to have a few capabilities other PDU's have not thought about, most importantly if you trip a fuse/breaker, it seems to be all re-settable through the bluetooth connection. That in itself is badass, not having to swap out fuses should you overload a circuit is pretty sweet. Open up the app, take a look at what is going on with your lights, electronics, whatever....and just adjust it accordingly. I think technology like this is just starting to explore the wiring harness capabilities on any custom motorsports build.

Top Bottom