37's on a D30

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! God I love threads like these.

Guaranteed, you'll hear from a ton of guys who will chime in shortly (mostly from the east coast) to profess how they are running that setup now, wheel the piss out of their Jeep all the time and haven't had an issue with it. Fact of the matter is, if you leave your front differential open and aren't wheeling in the west or bombing through the desert, you can probably make it work for quite a while BUT, to me, that's far from "wheeling hard".

Do yourself a favor and install a set of C-gussets to help prevent bending them but don't bother throwing any more money at your axle. Play with what you got and if in the future you do need to upgrade, worry about it then. Trust me, a bent axle will not leave you high and dry.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't go over 35" tires. Better start saving for a pr44

Agreed. I would wheel a D30 with 35's and without any concerns. 37's are a different animal and while I've done it, I had always planned on upgrading to a PR44 so I wasn't too worried about breaking it.

BlackHawk08jk

LOL!! God I love threads like these.

Guaranteed, you'll hear from a ton of guys who will chime in shortly (mostly from the east coast) to profess how they are running that setup now, wheel the piss out of their Jeep all the time and haven't had an issue with it. Fact of the matter is, if you leave your front differential open and aren't wheeling in the west or bombing through the desert, you can probably make it work for quite a while BUT, to me, that's far from "wheeling hard".

Do yourself a favor and install a set of C-gussets to help prevent bending them but don't bother throwing any more money at your axle. Play with what you got and if in the future you do need to upgrade, worry about it then. Trust me, a bent axle will not leave you high and dry.

I plan to wheel it till it breaks I like to get every bit I can out of stuff before I replace it:) I don't wheel all the time but when I do I'm not that time that is to easy on my rig I've had 35s on for about a year but want to go bigger.

Webe

I made the mistake of building up my D30, air locker, aftermarket shafts, gears, gussets on 35s. In 4 months I went thru 3 sets of gears, 5 axles shafts(mostly breaking @ u-joints). My tax return bought me a D44 needless to say.:twocents:

BlackHawk08jk

Why on earth did jeep put the D30 front in the wrangler in the first place? It's seemed crazy to me since I bought mine

We've got a D30 and 35s on the wife's 2-door and I don't plan to wheel it very hard or very often. My 4-door has 37s on the stock D44 and I don't like it very much either. (I'm okay with the D44 R&P but am nervous about everything else that shares the D30 weaknesses.)

I personally would not wheel 37s on a D30 because I would live in fear and not be willing to try many things. (R&P breaks on the trail suck.)

To Eddie's point: I do know of someone who is "wheeling" 40s on a D30 though. :crazyeyes:

As mentioned above depending on how you wheel will determine how long it will last. I have been battling this question for quite awhile. In Texas the common practice is to wheel a D30, trussed and in some cases locked. I say this with the caveat that we do not have quite the big rocks as they do in the West. For me it goes against everything I have read and come to understand.

Cozdude is in the process of doing a front axle swap. He is using most of his external parts off his D30 for his new PR44. Check out his build thread especially the last couple of pages.

R/
Will

K.D.C.H

I have a stock JK Sport also and even though I'd want to go with 37's there are better ways to go about it.

For what it's worth, after I get the EVO Double D 4" lift kit my plan is to weld on the C gussets, throw on the 35's and wheel it until it breaks. When it does I'll be throwing in a PR60 or PR44 up front (still not sure which yet), gear the rear to match an then run it until the rear breaks. When that breaks I'll throw in a PR60 rear followed by 37's.

jkmitch

I've been wheeling 37s on my 30 for 3/4 of a year now no issues no hiccups. I mainly do rock crawling and desert exploring. It's seen plenty of abuse!
My build:
Sleeves
Gussets
Truss
Skids
5.13 gears
Aussie locker

If it breaks I'll do a 44 or 60 but right now I don't see the need.

Dean454

for the time being I am running the D30, sleeved, gussets, elocker and 4:88 gears. I have already busted one ring gear in the front. I already have the replacement on order and cannot wait to get it installed. I have no confidence in the 30 even with the upgrades I"ve added.:yup::yup:

BadApple

Im running 37s on mine. Recommended NO doable Yes. A PR44 is in store for march or april when i get my service seperation pay otherwise i would have stuck with 35s. Like eddie said this question pops up frequently, I being one of the guys that did it. Mines a pavement pounder and easy trails until then. Im a wprry wart so i will steer clear of anything over a scenic run for now.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
just snapped by dana 30 axle with 33s

Likewise, I have had an axle shaft failure on a new JKU with less than 7000 miles on it at the time. I'm running 285/70r17s on it. I've wheeled pretty hard out west and love blasting through the desert, but can tell you I have done nothing like that here in SC. Light wheeling because that is literally all there is here, and yet still had an axle shaft failure. From my experience, I wouldn't do 37s on a D30 unless I was sticking to pavement and dirt roads, but that's just me personally. I don't trust the D30 after what happened, so it's getting replaced. Just my 2 cents.

bsimon187

I ran a d30 with 35's for about a year and half.. Light wheeling for the first year or so, and really just started going harder the past 8 or so months. 4.56 gears, trussed, gusset's and e-locker. Broke the ring a few weeks ago and now waiting for the PR44 to be delivered. I knew it was going to break and if I had to do it again, I would not have spent any money on the d30 and just bought the pr44 first. I had ordered the new ring for the d30 and decided that I did not want to put any more money into at all and just ordered the pr44. I am sure you could run 37's, but it will still break on you and it sucks when it goes on a trail and you are hours away from home.. Luckily someone in my group had a long enough trailer I could get my front wheels off of the ground to get it home..

IMG_0199.jpg
IMG_0153.jpg

Top Bottom