Are there any markings on the axle to know what gears are in it from the factory?

jorgelrod

Hooked
I might have a chance to get a Rubi D44 for my Jeep but they don't know what gears they have on it. Matter of fact, I might end up getting there and finding that it is a D30, people here go crazy putting Rubicon Stickers on their Hoods and a lot of the Junkyards don't know how to tell the difference so I just wanted to know if there is a way to know which gears might be on it...

Jorge

BadApple

There should be a barcode like sticker on it with a part number thats how my axles are at least. When searched it comes up with what it is ill see if i can find it and post it here gimme a sec.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If your front differential is this shape, you have a Dana 30
dana-30.gif

If it is this shape, essentially the same as your rear, you have a Dana 44
dana-44.gif

A quick way to see what gears you have is to mark your rear drive shaft with a piece of tape or marker and then do the same on your tire. Slowly have someone roll your Jeep forward while you count how many times your drive shaft turns to make one full rotation of your tire. If it's just shy of 4, you have 3.73 gears. If it's just over 4, you have 4.10 gears.

jorgelrod

Hooked
If your front differential is this shape, you have a Dana 30
dana-30.gif

If it is this shape, essentially the same as your rear, you have a Dana 44
dana-44.gif

A quick way to see what gears you have is to mark your rear drive shaft with a piece of tape or marker and then do the same on your tire. Slowly have someone roll your Jeep forward while you count how many times your drive shaft turns to make one full rotation of your tire. If it's just shy of 4, you have 3.73 gears. If it's just over 4, you have 4.10 gears.

Thanks, the tape trick sounds awesome, but I'm sure the Diff will be in a rack somewhere off the vehicle so this might not be possible to do though

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thanks, the tape trick sounds awesome, but I'm sure the Diff will be in a rack somewhere off the vehicle so this might not be possible to do though

It's off the ground you could still do it. Mark the hub and spin the yoke where the driveshaft would be. It's the same thing.

DBats

If you haven't figured out what you need yet, I was able to email Jeep directly with my VIN and they sent me the build-sheet for my vehicle free of charge. Had the factory gear ratio listed and everything they put on from the factory.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

blackrubi14

You can also call any Jeep dealer and give them the last 6 of your VIN and they can tell you what gears came in your Jeep from the factory.

Top Bottom