Truck lite vs jw speaker

jman_12

I know truck lites are so much cheaper than JW speaker 8700 led headlights, but I was wondering if they're both just as good as far as light output, minimal glare, install etc.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know truck lites are so much cheaper than JW speaker 8700 led headlights, but I was wondering if they're both just as good as far as light output, minimal glare, install etc.

Having seen both in person, what I can tell you is this. The JW Speakers are probably a little brighter but, they are much harder to look at as in, if you're in a vehicle coming up to a Jeep with them installed, it's hard on the eyes. Are they so much brighter and better than Truck-Lites to justify the premium cost? Not in my opinion. Truck-Lights are significantly brighter, whiter and have a much better spread than stock and are much easier to look at head on. Yeah, Truck-Light is a supporter of ours but honestly, if the JW Speakers were really that much better, I would be running them on my Jeeps.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Having seen both in person, what I can tell you is this. The JW Speakers are probably a little brighter but, they are much harder to look at as in, if you're in a vehicle coming up to a Jeep with them installed, it's hard on the eyes. Are they so much brighter and better than Truck-Lites to justify the premium cost? Not in my opinion. Truck-Lights are significantly brighter, whiter and have a much better spread than stock and are much easier to look at head on. Yeah, Truck-Light is a supporter of ours but honestly, if the JW Speakers were really that much better, I would be running them on my Jeeps.

Completely agreed. I have the JW speaker headlights. The honest "no bullshit" answer on why I picked them over trucklites is that I personally liked the way they look. The thing is, many people don't like the look. It's completely subjective. Most of my friends run trucklites and I believe the behind the wheel experience is nearly identical. Now that the novelty of "the look" has worn off, is it worth the cost difference? Not in my opinion and if I were to do it again I would get a set of trucklites and call it done.

Hack12

Completely agreed. I have the JW speaker headlights. The honest "no bullshit" answer on why I picked them over trucklites is that I personally liked the way they look. The thing is, many people don't like the look. It's completely subjective. Most of my friends run trucklites and I believe the behind the wheel experience is nearly identical. Now that the novelty of "the look" has worn off, is it worth the cost difference? Not in my opinion and if I were to do it again I would get a set of trucklites and call it done.

Doesn't get any more honest than that!

I've only run Truck-Lites on my JK and XJ and I don't have one negative thing to say about them. Well worth the cost. :)

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug

I have the jw's and 100% agree. They are nice but if I was to do it again I'd just go with tl's.

tonywjk

I have the Truck lites on my JK and I will say they were worth the money. i personally haven't seen the JW's in person but what really sold me on the company was their customer service. A year after i had them i had an issue with one light. One light was malfunctioning and was running both hi and lowbeam during normal operation. I called the company to inquire if i did something wrong, remember a year has passed, they asked for my address and were going to ship a new set out the following day. Received them in two days, installed and haven't had any issues since. Now I know all companies stand behind products but a year later, no receipt, i was very impressed. I won't change my TL's for any other light.

Armydog

Just put the TLs on the pumpkin. My son is going with the JWSs on his JK. when he gets them I'll let you know how I think they compare but I can tell you now that I love the TLs I have. Bright as hell

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Completely agree with everything said above. I have the JW Speaker headlights and fog lights and I am very happy with them, but I chose them for their look. They are very bright and throw a beautiful light pattern, especially with the fog lights paired with the headlights. However, if I were to do it again, I would defiantly give a much closer look to the TLs.

bsimon187

I have the tl's and they are well worth the price. I have bad vision at night and they help a ton. I had a problem after about 6 months with one headlights flickering, called them up and they sent me a new light and 2 new connections.

Dr.McNinja

Buy what you like. Both are much, much better than stock.
I tried to get my wife to buy the Trucklites, but she liked the look of the JWS better.

K.D.C.H

I looked into both Truck-Lite and JW Speaker and I ended up going for the Truck-Lites. Even though some may say the JWS lights are a little bit brighter I personally felt that the small increase in brightness didn't justify the additional $$$.

My other reason for going T-L was because of Wayalife. I love what WAL stands for and I enjoy the sense of community here so I want to support those who support them. Eddie also has a bad ass rig and I have no doubt that the products he runs are best.

TrailBear

I have the JW's I really like how wide the light pattern is on them, huge up grade of stock, I do have the odd person flash the brights at me when my low beams are on. I too would go with the Trucklights if I had to do it again, I like that with them the whole light turns on with the high beam.

K.D.C.H

I wonder if it's not that the JWS lights are brighter but that the angle of the low beams are a little higher than the T-L's causing them to be more of a nuisance to oncoming traffic.

thechrisjones

Put truck lights on my JK last week and let me tell you I'm as excited over these light as a fat kid over cake!!! Bought mine from northridge 4x4... They have a good package dea

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

IMHO trucklites put out more light and are a better upgrade. To add to what Eddie said, the JWs APPEAR to put out more light, but that's due to the pretty poor projector design that "hotspots" in the center making it appear brighter...and while the dead center may be a tad brighter than the TLs, the extreme sides are pretty poorly lit...the TLs have a wider throw of more even light. The JWs look fantastic though. The old JWs were IMHO laughable for the money, the new ones are better, but still subpar IMHO when compared to say an OEM HID projector headlight. For the money, you are paying ONLY for the looks with JWs. If you want the best bang for the buck, the TLs are what you want. If you want the maximum possible output, you will have to go with an HID projector setup.

CGJKU

I have the JW Speaker 8700 Evolution J with black bezels and the JW Speaker fog lights. I love the looks and the light output!

File Jan 12, 12 10 45 PM.jpg

bfschor

I have the JW's only because I run a Trucklite in the bike. I wasn't too impressed with the light pattern of the single Trucklite, so I thought I'd try the JW's in the JK. Well, I guess I'm just picky and I'm expecting an even light pattern, because my JW's don't do it - at least in my opinion. Both lights project an accent of light in the upper right corner of the beam pattern. I don't notice it going down the road, but as soon as I pull up behind someone, i see it. It looks like my lights are mounted crooked or something. Does anyone else with JW's have this little accent or tick (not sure what to call it) in their beam pattern? It's kinda annoying and for what these lights cost, and I would think the pattern would be a little more uniform. I emailed JW and never got a response. I guess I'll have to try calling.

Attachments

• image-4280701769.jpg
    image-4280701769.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Top Bottom