Competent Shop in Reno Nv

KrawlerJK

Can any of the forum members recommend a competent shop in the Reno area to do a Hemi swap?

I have also heard of some overheating issues with the hemis. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of how to overcome this weakness?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I've lived in Reno for the better part of 44 years. I wouldn't hire anyone here to do a swap like that. Maybe some of the other locals on here will disagree.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Can any of the forum members recommend a competent shop in the Reno area to do a Hemi swap?

I have to swing by HRC today. I'm not sure if they would do it or not, but I'll ask them.

Trent Fabrication maybe?

I have also heard of some overheating issues with the hemis. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of how to overcome this weakness?

Put an LS in it. :cheesy:

If it were me, I'd put it on a trailer and take it to Motech in Vegas. :yup:

KrawlerJK

I have to swing by HRC today. I'm not sure if they would do it or not, but I'll ask them.

Trent Fabrication maybe?

Put an LS in it. :cheesy:

If it were me, I'd put it on a trailer and take it to Motech in Vegas. :yup:

I figured that would be your response but I was hoping there might be a hidden gem out there. I'm not totally sold on the LS option.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
If you stick with a Hemi, I wouldn't let someone attempt the swap unless they can give you multiple references of people for whom they have done the swap. That's a big ticket item. Why pay someone the extra labor to be their first attempt at the swap? What experience will they have with programming? With overheating issues? Etc. You want to pay labor for someone to perform the work, not figure out how to perform the work.

You also want someone who is going to be around in five years.

KrawlerJK

If you stick with a Hemi, I wouldn't let someone attempt the swap unless they can give you multiple references of people for whom they have done the swap. That's a big ticket item. Why pay someone the extra labor to be their first attempt at the swap? What experience will they have with programming? With overheating issues? Etc. You want to pay labor for someone to perform the work, not figure out how to perform the work.

You also want someone who is going to be around in five years.

I have absolutely no intention on letting a rookie do it. Just testing the water to see if there's someone competent in Reno with experience.

I contacted Motech today to scope out the LS package and spoke with Evo about the Hemi swap sooooo I guess all I have to do now is make a decision.

It would be nice to have the installer local in case I have any issues though.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I say you do a committee a vote.
I'll start, 1 for LS!
Good luck with your swap!

MTG

Caught the Bug
I have absolutely no intention on letting a rookie do it. Just testing the water to see if there's someone competent in Reno with experience.

I contacted Motech today to scope out the LS package and spoke with Evo about the Hemi swap sooooo I guess all I have to do now is make a decision.

It would be nice to have the installer local in case I have any issues though.

HRC said they can do it, but haven't done a lot. But they do LS's (is that a word?) often. You should go to the S&G next tuesday and check out Moby's V8.

I'll post the same thing I told you the other day. The Hemi's are prone to overheating and their fans run constantly. I'm guessing a lot of people went with Hemis at first for 2 reasons 1) registration issues with swapping manufacturers and 2) it took a while to figure out the computer issues. Motech has solved the later problem and I don't believe Nevada has a problem with the first.

My $.02. Take if for what it's worth.

If it were me, I'd probably just replace my factory 3.6L at a fraction of the cost. :yup:

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
If it were me, I'd probably just replace my factory 3.6L at a fraction of the cost. :yup:

There is some truth to that. Especially after talking to Mel and having him tell me that swaps don't exactly make JK's power monsters. I think a lot of people expect big diesel truck power and are disappointed when that is not what they get.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
There is some truth to that. Especially after talking to Mel and having him tell me that swaps don't exactly make JK's power monsters. I think a lot of people expect big diesel truck power and are disappointed when that is not what they get.

I expect this type of power from a hemi in my JK.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421120074.338305.jpg

bkac

Caught the Bug
There's something pretty impressive with the 3.6L, 5.38s, and 40's in my opinion for a V6.

KrawlerJK

HRC said they can do it, but haven't done a lot. But they do LS's (is that a word?) often. You should go to the S&G next tuesday and check out Moby's V8.

I'll post the same thing I told you the other day. The Hemi's are prone to overheating and their fans run constantly. I'm guessing a lot of people went with Hemis at first for 2 reasons 1) registration issues with swapping manufacturers and 2) it took a while to figure out the computer issues. Motech has solved the later problem and I don't believe Nevada has a problem with the first.

My $.02. Take if for what it's worth.

I'll cruise down to the s&g. I wouldn't mind picking everyones brains and scoping out Moby.

I'm considering the LS... I've always been a Chevy guy anyways.

The 3.6 isn't really an option for me anymore. Pushin 40s chipped with exhaust and intake is still pretty weak. It isn't bad but my last truck had a 496 big block and that sucker had some balls soooo the V6 doesn't excite me much and if the motor has to come out anyway... Seems like a no brainer as I am already super deep into my Jeep in terms of dough.

I am curious to see how this poll turns out! Haha

Top Bottom