Is there a lift kit that actually increases travel

wanderer

HI I have been talking with some folks and I seem to have come to a sticking point. What is the best way to increase travel. Will a week designed lift kit with longer springs longer shock travel and longer brake line change the available up down travel, Not talking about articulation. but it seems to me that a well designed kit would increase travel and articulation assuming no other limiting factors such as fenders etc.

can some one explain how travel isn't increased using those parameters

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Your shocks will be the ultimate limiting factor in the amount of droop or down travel you have. Your bump stops, shocks bottoming out and/or springs going solid will be the ultimate limiting factor of your stuff or up travel. You can run really long shocks but unless you have coils that are tall enough when uncompressed, they will unseat and can cause problems. Taller springs can help address this but, you will need to run taller bump stop extensions to help prevent the over compression of your coils. Of course, if you have shocks that are too long, they will bottom out anyway.

If you really want to increase your travel effectively, you really need look into a set of coil overs like what EVO makes as they utilize a design that relocate the mounting point higher up and on their DTD kit, angled back up front as well. In the rear, their DTD kit utilizes a cantilever design to help address these issues.

BBrown626

HI I have been talking with some folks and I seem to have come to a sticking point. What is the best way to increase travel. Will a week designed lift kit with longer springs longer shock travel and longer brake line change the available up down travel, Not talking about articulation. but it seems to me that a well designed kit would increase travel and articulation assuming no other limiting factors such as fenders etc.

can some one explain how travel isn't increased using those parameters

When you add longer shocks and springs you generally increase travel, but only a bit. If you add shocks that are 2" longer, the compressed length is probably 1" longer too. Since the compressed shocks are longer you have less room for up travel, so down is the only way to gain unless your changing the mounting points.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I assume you get the same amount of wheel travel with the DTD, just with the added benefit of the King shocks to go with it?

Yes and this is in spite of the fact that we are now running shorter coil overs/bypass shocks than before. What most people never consider is that there is a point where you can have too much droop and this will cause driveline bind. This is why we run limiting straps - to prevent too much droop.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I kinda wished the BO coilovers had a 10" option instead of only the 12" co's. More to be able to set the lift height a little lower. I would rather be at 3" of lift without pushing things right to the limits of the co's.

It would mean less travel (2" ??). Not sure how much this would affect other things.

I know you can get 10" kings, but they wouldn't be Evo specs.

Then there is the fact I will likely go the enforcer route, as it is more reasonable for me. I have just been dreaming of King CO's since long before there was a JK and I am jealous of everyone that has them, especially DTD.

Last edited:
Top Bottom