Drag link bent?

ldjernes

May be a dumb question but is my drag link bent.

Attachments

• 1421617869349.jpg
    1421617869349.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 1421617897146.jpg
    1421617897146.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 149

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hard to tell from your pics but, so you know, all factory drag links have bends in them and the ones you have are most likely them.

jknikos

Hard to tell from the picture. All factory drag links have bends but i think this one is more than it should be. :thinking: Try to compare it with another jk.

jmatta33

May be a dumb question but is my drag link bent.

I cant say definitively, but mine is bent and this looks about like mine does. have you noticed your steering being a little off in one direction? If it was centered before, after a bend it will now be off a few degrees which can usually be noticable.

Last edited:

ldjernes

I cant say definitively, but mine is bent and this looks about like mine does. have you noticed your steering being a little off in one direction? If it was centered before, after a bend it will now be off a few degrees which can usually be noticable.

my jeep got tboned back in November and rolled. when my front wheels are straight my steering wheel is in a 180 upside down. That why I was thinking the drag link was bent but there might be another issue somewhere else too

jmatta33

my jeep got tboned back in November and rolled. when my front wheels are straight my steering wheel is in a 180 upside down. That why I was thinking the drag link was bent but there might be another issue somewhere else too

Sounds like you may have some more issues than a bent drag link. I would try to do a side by side comparison with a new jeep that the drag link is definitely not bent on. If it is bent, replace it and get an alignment done. That will be a good start. any other symptoms?

ldjernes

Sounds like you may have some more issues than a bent drag link. I would try to do a side by side comparison with a new jeep that the drag link is definitely not bent on. If it is bent, replace it and get an alignment done. That will be a good start. any other symptoms?

Yea I think I'll compare it to a stock one an go from there. What do you mean by symptoms? Lol

jeeeep

Hooked

like others have said, hard to tell from the pic angles, take a pic of the full front view at the axle.

To me it also looks like your track bar might also be bent.

When I got hit, it bent my tie rod, track bar and drag link and front portion of the frame.

Also take a pic of each side of the grill where it meets the body.

Check for bent control arm mounts

edit - after looking at the pic more it looks like your pitman arm is pointing too far passenger but it could be the angle of the pic. compare it to another rig.

Last edited:

jmatta33

Yea I think I'll compare it to a stock one an go from there. What do you mean by symptoms? Lol

for instance your steering wheel being upside down when your wheels are straight, is it pulling to one side, is there anything else going on that is out of the ordinary?

jmatta33

like others have said, hard to tell from the pic angles, take a pic of the full front view at the axle.

When I got hit, it bent my tie rod, track bar and drag link and front portion of the frame.

edit - after looking at the pic more it looks like your pitman arm is pointing too far passenger but it could be the angle of the pic. compare it to another rig.

that looks like it may be an aftermarket track bar..? but if that is bent your axle would not be centered, im having that issue myself...

ldjernes

Ight thanks for the info

ldjernes

for instance your steering wheel being upside down when your wheels are straight, is it pulling to one side, is there anything else going on that is out of the ordinary?

Suprisingly when I moved it from my garage to my dad's it drove straight didn't pull to much to either side

jmatta33

Suprisingly when I moved it from my garage to my dad's it drove straight didn't pull to much to either side

The more I look at the pictures the more I feel like the draglink is bent, but i think we all can agree its hard to know for sure just looking at it with those pictures. You are definitely going to want to get an alignment but just make sure the drag link is good to go before you get that done. I would also check to make sure your track bar isn't bent as well just to be safe. It looks to me like you have an aftermarket track bar that came with your lift?

Txjkjpr

The best way to check is to look at the position of the pitman arm when the wheels are straight. The pitman arm should be angled towards the driver side tire. if its more towards the center then its bent. I just had to replace mine and that was the first thing we were told to look at. With the new drag link in place the arm is at its correct position and all the steering works appropriately.

It is definitely bent. My Jeep is on my lift right now while I’m installing some stuff so I snagged this picture for you.

IMG_20150119_101854112[1].jpg

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I would be voting for bent too. The factory drag link has a bend in it, but yours appears to have the factory bend and then a bow.

And comparing it to jnabird's picture above, I would sure say it's bent.

Top Bottom