Is this shock backwards

srosario

I order the bilsteins 5100 24-186995, it has the rod in the top.

Attachments

• 1421860193915.jpg
    1421860193915.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 218

srosario

Yeah the rear is at the bottom, damn thank god I didn't spend the extra 180 on the reservoir ones, I was thinking about it just for the Bling factor.

Yeah the rear is at the bottom, damn thank god I didn't spend the extra 180 on the reservoir ones, I was thinking about it just for the Bling factor.

Reservoir shocks have there place and are not all about bling - with that said depending on your application you might not even notice the difference of a low end reservoir shock versus what you have. A reservoir shock will dampen at a far more consistent rate regardless of the frequency of the shock compression and rebound cycles, because the oil cannot aerate due to the added dead air space from the reservoir. or something like that blah blah blah.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
On a monotube it can be rod up or down, depending on the manufacturer. We tend to be a rod up manufacturer.
:beer:

srosario

Lol, 100k miles, I'm just a clean freak, and the previous owner was as well. And are you serious about the boot, should I take it off.

If your vehicle is that clean, they are fine. People's big beef with them is that they can trap grit/dirt in there and that can adversely affect the rod. Then you remove the boot and the rod is exposed and then can get a nick in it and shorten the life of the rod. The shock boot is the Catch 22 of the off-road world... :crazyeyes:

Lol, 100k miles, I'm just a clean freak, and the previous owner was as well. And are you serious about the boot, should I take it off.

Hack12

It's really a matter of personal preference, but I have heard tons of people recommend removing the boots, which is why I removed mine. While they appear to keep junk out, they aren't air tight or waterproof. They tend to collect a good deal of moisture and dirt over time, doing more harm than good, IMHO.

Hack12

If your vehicle is that clean, they are fine. People's big beef with them is that they can trap grit/dirt in there and that can adversely affect the rod. Then you remove the boot and the rod is exposed and then can get a nick in it and shorten the life of the rod. The shock boot is the Catch 22 of the off-road world... :crazyeyes:

Very true. There is no right or wrong choice. Just personal preference I'd imagine. :yup:

Top Bottom