Need some opinions on fenders

Reaper

Been looking at the metal cloak highline fenders. Mainly for protection and all but they say they allow a 37" tire without any lift? what is your opinion on these fenders and what is your opinion on 37's with no lift?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Not a fan of mc for their quality and 37's are a lot of tire with no lift. Any reason you don't want a lift?

Reaper

No i was lookign at actually getting a lift but being able to fit 37's on no lift with the low center of gravity seems like an ok idea except catching stuff in the middle of the JKU.

olram30

Well, your problem isn't fenders, it's the lack of bump stops that's going to hurt. Be ready to cut a lot of metal on your jeep. I don't see 37 fitting with at least 3" bump stops. Even with 3" bump stops I had to trim the front and both front and rear sections of the back. Sounds like a good idea, but ain't happening without bump stops

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just trim your fenders. It costs nothing and will get you the clearance you are wanting. Hit a tree or rock hard enough and they will bend or just tear off. Pick it back up and pop it back on and you're good to go and without any body damage. Best part - it's FREE. Been running this setup for about 7 years now.

Reaper

so you arent a fan of the metal cloak stuff? see i was looking into the metalcloak lift thats like 1300 for 3.5" vs the rock krawler lift.

olram30

so you arent a fan of the metal cloak stuff? see i was looking into the metalcloak lift thats like 1300 for 3.5" vs the rock krawler lift.

Be ready to receive sports equipment with your lift kit.

Reaper

see i actually liked the look of the fenders but im looking for armor and everything ive seen bolts to the sheet metal and not the frame. except the metalcloack and the smitybilt side armor.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
see i actually liked the look of the fenders but im looking for armor and everything ive seen bolts to the sheet metal and not the frame. except the metalcloack and the smitybilt side armor.

Are you saying that you just like the look of armor or you think you actually need it?

JAGS

Hooked
I also wouldn't recommend 37s with no lift. Even on tame trails, your ride is going to suffer bottoming out. Several others have posted this on the forum. If you travel light you could do a budget boost for cheap or at minimum a 3" lift. If you run heavy camping gear in the back on trips, you'll still have a less than ideal ride. Don't go above 35s if you want to run with no lift or just a leveling kit, like the one EVO sells.

Just trim your fenders. It costs nothing and will get you the clearance you are wanting. Hit a tree or rock hard enough and they will bend or just tear off. Pick it back up and pop it back on and you're good to go and without any body damage. Best part - it's FREE. Been running this setup for about 7 years now.

This^^^^^ x1million.

Reaper

i like the look of the armor, but thats why im asking you guys cause i want to buy something ill actually need out there vs something i just want, and if i were to buy fender armor like this what would you guys recomend and why. Only thing ive seen videos on that looks sturdy are the metal cloak but thats why i come to you guys who liek to play in those unforgiving rocks hahahaha

Rubicon john

I like the look of the metal cloak fenders also except the big "M" in the front. I'm not a huge fan of logos all over my Jeep.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i like the look of the armor, but thats why im asking you guys cause i want to buy something ill actually need out there vs something i just want, and if i were to buy fender armor like this what would you guys recomend and why. Only thing ive seen videos on that looks sturdy are the metal cloak but thats why i come to you guys who liek to play in those unforgiving rocks hahahaha

If you're just going for the look, get whatever you like best. They're all about the same. Me personally, I think the PSC fenders look the best but, that's just me. I probably don't play hard enough but, I have yet to see a need for tube fenders. If anything, I have seen where a hard enough hit to them will CAUSE body damage. But again, that's just me.

sjd78

Oh yeah, you spend your money on what you think are quality jeep parts and you receive a box of hockey pucks with a hole punched in the middle

Ah now I get what you're refering to. Yeah the front bump stops are hockey pucks. I take it you guys aren't crazy about their products? I actually bought and installed their 3.5" GC ARB kit before learning about EVO. Hopefully I don't end up having issues with it.

Top Bottom