Stock arms and aftermarket front driveshaft?

bthomas

Can it be done for the front only? I know I'll need them for the rear when the time comes, but I'd rather not replace the fronts unless I need to. I've got a 2012 2dr auto, my 2.5in lift gave me about 3.5 +/- of actual lift. I'm pretty happy with how it rides and drives. I had AEV geo brackets on for a while and honestly couldn't tell a nickels difference in how it drove, other than I hit them a lot on rocks, so I took them back off. So, can a guy run a 1310 shaft up front with stock arms, or do I need adjustable LCA's for sure, in case of vibes? I've searched all over and can't find a definite answer. Thanks!

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Your control arms will have NO bearing on whether or not you can run an after market drive shaft up front - ONLY the rear.

bthomas

Your control arms will have NO bearing on whether or not you can run an after market drive shaft up front - ONLY the rear.

Thanks Eddie! I had a hunch that was the case. I would think that with stock arms and a lift, you'd have a good pinion angle, but suffer in caster. I'll put some good JJ arms as the stockers start to fail.

Billy

Last edited:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Thanks Eddie! I had a hunch that was the case. I would think that with stock arms and a lift, you'd have a good pinion angle, but suffer in caster. I'll put some good JJ arms as the stockers start to fail.

Billy

By chance do you know what your caster/pinon angles are at?

FWIW, I am scheduled for gears at Off Road Evolution in a couple of week and while they are at it, I am having them change the front driveshaft to a 1350 Reel. I am running stock arms with caster right around 4.5*. From what I have heard from a few members here, keeping the caster less than 5, which keeps the pinion greater than 1, will keep the driveline vibe free.

bthomas

By chance do you know what your caster/pinon angles are at?

FWIW, I am scheduled for gears at Off Road Evolution in a couple of week and while they are at it, I am having them change the front driveshaft to a 1350 Reel. I am running stock arms with caster right around 4.5*. From what I have heard from a few members here, keeping the caster less than 5, which keeps the pinion greater than 1, will keep the driveline vibe free.

I have never checked it myself, or had it on a rack. It should still be whatever stock is. If yours is 4.5 with stock arms/axles I'm sure mine would be the same.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I would think they would be close, however, every Jeep is slightly different. Also, I am running AEV drop brackets.

There is a write up here on WAL outlining how to check your angles yourself. Probably worth the time just to check.

bthomas

I would think they would be close, however, every Jeep is slightly different. Also, I am running AEV drop brackets.

There is a write up here on WAL outlining how to check your angles yourself. Probably worth the time just to check.

I'll take a look for the write up, thanks! I have an angle finder at my disposal and have never made the time to look...
Life sure has been in the way of Jeep stuff the last few months!

bthomas

FWIW, I have a harbor freight digital angle finder, after using the garage floor to set zero and putting it on top of the top ball joint, I read 3.6-3.8 degrees. (Can't get the meter to read the same twice!) and after measuring between the back side of the front spring perches my lift is only 2 5/8 after adding weight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom