Ways to mount a 35" Spare

KVJK191

What are all the ways to mount a 35" spare? And what products (bumper, fabrication, carrier, extensions) could be used? I'm curious to all the ways people have theirs mounted. If you have purchased anything to mount the tire, please give a review on it and if you would recommend it.

Thanks.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
You can mount it directly onto the stock carrier. Just make sure you extend the rubber isolators to prevent the spare from wiggling.

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
What are all the ways to mount a 35" spare? And what products (bumper, fabrication, carrier, extensions) could be used? I'm curious to all the ways people have theirs mounted. If you have purchased anything to mount the tire, please give a review on it and if you would recommend it.

Thanks.

x2. i remember seeing a thread on it not long ago, that someone just bought some little rubber isolators from lowes to act as extenders to the stock rubber ones.

KVJK191

You can mount it directly onto the stock carrier. Just make sure you extend the rubber isolators to prevent the spare from wiggling.

Would the isolators eliminate vibrations? Would the tailgate start 'breaking down' when a 70+ lb tire gets mounted on to the stock carrier?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Would the isolators eliminate vibrations? Would the tailgate start 'breaking down' when a 70+ lb tire gets mounted on to the stock carrier?

The rubber isolators do exactly the same thing as the stock one with the stock tire. They prevent the tire from wobbling. If not isolated then that will lead to the spot welds failing. A perfect example of how well the stock carrier can hold up is overlanderjk's rig. He has had 35" mid grapplers on his stock carrier for almost 30k miles

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Don't get the daystar isolators. They dry out and don't work well after 6 months or so. I would do the above and get some hard plastic or rubber from lowes and extend the factory bumps. That's what I will be going back to.

KVJK191

Don't get the daystar isolators. They dry out and don't work well after 6 months or so. I would do the above and get some hard plastic or rubber from lowes and extend the factory bumps. That's what I will be going back to.

Is there a picture of the replacement from Lowes? Don't really have an idea in my head of what it looks like.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've had my 35 mounted to the tailgate stock carrier for over 80,000 miles no problems. The key is to make sure its flush against the carrier and the isolators so it does not wobble. tail gate opens and closes the same as when stock

KVJK191

I've had my 35 mounted to the tailgate stock carrier for over 80,000 miles no problems. The key is to make sure its flush against the carrier and the isolators so it does not wobble. tail gate opens and closes the same as when stock

Will the weight do anything to the tail gate?

TheStick

Agree with what has been said. One thing to note, if you are using your stock wheels, you may need an adapter to push the spare out. You may also need to chop your 3rd break light off.

chipper

What is it called specifically? And where would I find it at Lowes? Could I get it from any other store cause Lowes quite a drive from where I live.

It's just a rubber stopper
1 5/8 x 1 5/16 x 1". You should be able to find it at any hardware store

KVJK191

Agree with what has been said. One thing to note, if you are using your stock wheels, you may need an adapter to push the spare out. You may also need to chop your 3rd break light off.

Thanks. Is there any other ways the third brake can be mounted?

Spare adapter solution:
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-5000-r.htm

RH-5000-R-2T.jpg

3rd brake light and mount solution:
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-4006.htm

RH-4006-2T.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I hadnt seen those. Anybody got experience with these? Seems like a great solution for running a 35

It's great for running stock wheels with a 35 or great tire. The very little back spacing with the wider wheel make it so you can't properly seat the spare on the carrier. This bracket moves it out a little and up to allow it to clear. It's almost like running wheel spacers

It's great for running stock wheels with a 35 or great tire. The very little back spacing with the wider wheel make it so you can't properly seat the spare on the carrier. This bracket moves it out a little and up to allow it to clear. It's almost like running wheel spacers

I like that idea alot. Ive got my 35s on rubi wheels so seems perfect. I can avoid buyin a high dollar carrier and throw the evo facia and shackles on as planned.

Top Bottom