Name that noise. Any ideas?

WINGER

Not sure what the deal is but I have developed a weird noise from my engine bay after donuts in mud and water fording. I am far from a mechanic and live an hour plus away from a dealer so any help would be appreciated. The video
starts with the engine running then stopping, starting and some 4k rpm hits. Any ideas on what that noise is would be helpful so I don't get hosed by the dealer. Thanks in advance Guys!!!

jeeeep

Hooked
1. your starter is not disengaging all the way - look and see if there's mud packed up in there

2. your fan - did you hose off behind the radiator? mud tends to pack up in that area as well

3. there is no 3, stop mudding! :cheesy:

WINGER

1. your starter is not disengaging all the way - look and see if there's mud packed up in there

2. your fan - did you hose off behind the radiator? mud tends to pack up in that area as well

3. there is no 3, stop mudding! :cheesy:

Thanks, I will check out 1 and 2, as for 3 my girlfriend wont be happy...lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Since you're not aware of this, it is REALLY BAD to play in the mud like you just have with a cold air intake. I can't tell for sure what I'm hearing in the video clip or at least from my phone but if it's a fast knocking, you probably took water in the motor and bent a rod.

WINGER

So I checked all around and no mud caked up near or in the starter and fan. I pressure washed it right away seeing AZ dirt turns to concrete. Why don't go mudding with an air intake? Thanks again.

WINGER

I had the gopro on the night the sound started. Here is the video of the mudding and water fording I did. As you can see it wasn't anything that hardcore for mudding. So if it is water damage would the Jeep still run? Is there anything I can check to verify? Again I appreciate your insights and help.

jeeeep

Hooked
check your oil, if it looks milky or foamy you may have some water.

Personally, I'd do an oil change if I thought water may have gotten sucked in

EDIT - BumblebeeZA may be onto something...thing with mud is it gets everywhere!

Last edited:

BumblebeeZA

Im no expert, just throwing it out there... Could be some mud in the Idler pulley bearing.
Take the serpentine belt off, remove the idler pulley and check if its smooth and silent, Id start there.

Last edited:

utiadam

LOSER
Hard to tell from the video. Before you go to the dealer I would recommend putting the factory air intake back on and going to a car wash to pressure wash the engine bay and underneath the jeep. The only time that I did donuts it killed my power steering pump. The dealer replaced the pump, reservoir, and gearbox. At least I got a couple cool pictures though
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425232350.978827.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425232360.170791.jpg

Mjay

Hard to tell from the video. Before you go to the dealer I would recommend putting the factory air intake back on and going to a car wash to pressure wash the engine bay and underneath the jeep. The only time that I did donuts it killed my power steering pump. The dealer replaced the pump, reservoir, and gearbox. At least I got a couple cool pictures though

Doing donuts also killed the power steering pump in my gf's jk.

WINGER

So it was the idler pulley. Dealer is fixing it now. I also had a leak in my transfer case which is also being fixed. Thanks for the replies and feedback.

BumblebeeZA

So it was the idler pulley. Dealer is fixing it now. I also had a leak in my transfer case which is also being fixed. Thanks for the replies and feedback.

Do I win a prize for getting it right :clap2:

Just kidding :bleh: Glad its getting sorted and great news its nothing serious :thumb:

Top Bottom