are hardtops worth the money?

Reaper

I have a guy willing to sell me his 2013 hardtop for 500 dollars plus my 2012 soft top. I love the look of the hard top but is the performance worth the money? I would like to hear all yu guys opinion on this matter from removing it to sound. AND GO!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hard tops are worth more money than $500. If that's really what he's willing to sell his for and it's in good shape, it's a deal. :D

If you don't run topless much, hard tops can be nice to have as they are a lot quieter, offer more security and are a hell of a lot more convenient to open the back glass.

Reaper

yeah that back glass is one of the biggest sellers for me hahahahha having to unzip the back for groceries is a PITA hahahahaha

RedRum

Yea with the rubicon I just ordered, the hardtop wasn't negotiable it was a must have ! Especially for loading and unload stuff for daily life in the back ... Instead of rolling up a window every time this magical glass simply rises and then lowers closed lol

bkac

Caught the Bug
Trade the hardtop then one day buy a trektop! You'll have be best of both worlds!

cbmatt66

$500 seems like a pretty good deal. I paid $600 for my used soft top.
Last winter I shattered the rear plastic window from bending it too far when it was -2 F.
This is my first winter with a hardtop and really like it with all of the snow and cold weather.
I'll be putting my soft top on as soon as it warms up though.

xrayjeeper83

Guess it also depends on where you live. I would never have a hard top but I live in Florida and dont need the warmth a hard top can bring. I prefer being able to take off my windows when ever I want

Guess it also depends on where you live. I would never have a hard top but I live in Florida and dont need the warmth a hard top can bring. I prefer being able to take off my windows when ever I want

I live in Ohio and sold the hard tops we had for both our Jeeps...

Top technology and fitment has gotten WAY better. Especially on the twill fabric. (It is actually a bit quieter than the hard top).

For our uses, a hard top is not desired. This said, $500 is a fair price.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I live in Ohio and sold the hard tops we had for both our Jeeps...

Top technology and fitment has gotten WAY better. Especially on the twill fabric. (It is actually a bit quieter than the hard top).

For our uses, a hard top is not desired. This said, $500 is a fair price.

LOL!! Us too. We sold all the hard tops we've ever gotten on any of our Jeeps including our old TJ.

Mbair

I say buy it!
Even if you don't end up liking it, at that price, you can resell and make a couple dollars.

UGAdudeoo7

I would say worth it. I've had both soft and hard tops. I wasn't a believer in the hard top until I spent a winter in Missouri with one.

AJK

I have both tops. I could live without the hard top. In fact the only time I use my hard top is in the winter. From spring to fall it just sits in storage. But I like to ride in the open air every chance I get and a soft top is a hell of a lot easier to put down then a hard top is to take off. With that said $500 is a deal on a hard top and it will up the value of your jeep if and when you ever decide to sell or trade it in. Wouldn't be a bad idea to by the top and buy a trektop a little later.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I ordered my Jeep with the Dual Top Group, but wish I would've just went with the hard top only and just bought a Trektop down the road. If I lived down south or out west where I'd go topless more often, I probably would've just went with a soft top only. I like the extra security of the hard top and I think it's nicer with the winter weather in Missouri. $500 is a heck of a deal, most of the ones I see on Craigslist are going for $1200+

Rharvey160

Hard tops are worth more money than $500. If that's really what he's willing to sell his for and it's in good shape, it's a deal. :D

If you don't run topless much, hard tops can be nice to have as they are a lot quieter, offer more security and are a hell of a lot more convenient to open the back glass.

I prefer a hard top for all the reasons that Wayolife mentioned, plus if you live where it is hot the hard top is going to be cooler inside especially if you put hothead headliners in it.

Downside side being it is a pain to take it off if you want to go topless. Then you need a place to store it.

No need to choke on dust out on the trail when you can run with the windows up and the AC on.

Top Bottom