Rough Ride??

Jake Wilson

Ok, so my Jeep seems to ride really rough. By rough I mean it doesn't absorb anything (so it seems to me). I thought it was normal till I drove my buddies rig. So my question is this, why? Lol I have a 4in. Pro Comp SA lift with a Sky Jacker dual stabilizer. I'll post pics of it. Btw I first thought it was my tire PSI so I lowered it to 28. No change. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425511724.727539.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425511738.328143.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425511600.727508.jpg

StrizzyChris

Procomp is fairly well known for firm coils and based on personal preference, some would call it a rough ride. This will be magnified if you're running an almost stock jeep by weight. You may want to switch out to a softer coil rate to make your ride more smooth.

noroad

what rating is your tire? how long have you had the lift? Coils usually have the most impact on ride, yours look very stuffed to me but i have never seen pro comp coils in person.

Jake Wilson

The lift has been on there since 2012 (I believe). I actually just purchased this jeep from a private seller. I have all the paperwork for the lift and tires. The tires are Toyo Open Country A/T 35 12.50 R18. I will be replacing the tires with Nitto 37's once they wear out. Other then the lift everything else has been me. I am not a huge fan of Pro Comp unless it's on a truck. However, for the time being it was great deal so overall I am happy with it. I just wish the ride was a bit smoother on the road. So you guys think it is the coils? I mean I could always order new coils from a different manufacture and put those on...:thinking:. But I am about to get a new front bumper and winch which I was hoping to get this weekend.

thardy

Banned
My first thought would be coils and second would be shocks. I have also heard what others were saying in regards to procomp being a rough ride. I'd say it's time for some 4" Evo Plush Rides! :yup:

Edited: another thought, it could be that you're on 18" wheels, that's a long shot thought though.

noroad

The lift has been on there since 2012 (I believe). I actually just purchased this jeep from a private seller. I have all the paperwork for the lift and tires. The tires are Toyo Open Country A/T 35 12.50 R18. I will be replacing the tires with Nitto 37's once they wear out. Other then the lift everything else has been me. I am not a huge fan of Pro Comp unless it's on a truck. However, for the time being it was great deal so overall I am happy with it. I just wish the ride was a bit smoother on the road. So you guys think it is the coils? I mean I could always order new coils from a different manufacture and put those on...:thinking:. But I am about to get a new front bumper and winch which I was hoping to get this weekend.

more weight on the front wont help lol and when looking at a tire try and get a D rating for a little softer ride as well.

Jake Wilson

75% off may i ask what you are looking at?

There is an auto show out here in Honolulu, HI. Everything in there is %75 off. Unfortunatly, most of it is Smittybilt products. I was origionally going to go with a Smittybilt SRC Stinger front bumper but I want something made in the good ol' US of A. However, if they have it for 75% off then I will get it and replace it when I get stateside. Ill be getting a ton of products this weekend. :)

noroad

There is an auto show out here in Honolulu, HI. Everything in there is %75 off. Unfortunatly, most of it is Smittybilt products. I was origionally going to go with a Smittybilt SRC Stinger front bumper but I want something made in the good ol' US of A. However, if they have it for 75% off then I will get it and replace it when I get stateside. Ill be getting a ton of products this weekend. :)

If i where you i would pass on some good deals because more times then not you get what you pay for. I have smittybilt slider and would highly highly NOT recommend them! for a little extra i could have had something a bit stronger. I also just bought a new front bumper from crawler conceptz for $250 and it is made in the US and build to last. but i have always been a fan of do it once do it right so when i mess up buying something it tends to hurt.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, so my Jeep seems to ride really rough. By rough I mean it doesn't absorb anything (so it seems to me). I thought it was normal till I drove my buddies rig. So my question is this, why? Lol I have a 4in. Pro Comp SA lift with a Sky Jacker dual stabilizer. I'll post pics of it. Btw I first thought it was my tire PSI so I lowered it to 28. No change.

Looking at your coils, I'd be surprised if you still have as much lift as you did when it was first installed. If I could guess, you probably have a rough ride because your coils are going solid - as in, they are going metal to metal when ever you hit bumps.

Jake Wilson

Looking at your coils, I'd be surprised if you still have as much lift as you did when it was first installed. If I could guess, you probably have a rough ride because your coils are going solid - as in, they are going metal to metal when ever you hit bumps.

Thats what I am thinking also after doing some indepth research. That being said I have a green light from the wife to get new coils and shocks. Is there anyway I can do this without buying a complete lift??

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Thats what I am thinking also after doing some indepth research. That being said I have a green light from the wife to get new coils and shocks. Is there anyway I can do this without buying a complete lift??

Order just coils and shocks.

Top Bottom