Wheel adapters

rogerk93

I'm sure there has been other forums regarding this topic. But I wanted to know if adding a 1.5"wheel adapter would have much negative impact to my jeep? I currently have aftermarket wheels with 4.5" of back spacing.

LeighP

It'll increase the scrub radius on the front. Doing this adds loads to the wheel bearings and ball joints on the front and adds load to the rear wheel bearings. It may also magnify any poor front alignment issues.
You're already running an increased track with the wheels you have....do you really need more track?

rich67

Caught the Bug
How is running spacers any different from running wheels with more backspac ing? Is there really that much more stress?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How is running spacers any different from running wheels with more backspac ing? Is there really that much more stress?

There is no difference between the two. You just need to be aware that less back spacing will put more stress on your bearings and ball joints. Not enough to matter to me but, you will need to replace them sooner than you would need to with stock back spacing.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Is there really that much more stress?
It creates a "moment" factor, basically the further out from the original design is a 1:1 multiplier of the stress applied to the bearing. (If the factory off set is "x", and you put wheels with spacers to have a total off set of "2x" you will be loading the bearings with exactly twice the stress of the factory orientation.

rogerk93

There is no difference between the two. You just need to be aware that less back spacing will put more stress on your bearings and ball joints. Not enough to matter to me but, you will need to replace them sooner than you would need to with stock back spacing.

Is the increased stability worth the stress applied to the ball joints?

Mjay

Is the increased stability worth the stress applied to the ball joints?

If all your after is stability I don't think I would even bother spending money on spacers. Most people use them to effectively increase backspacing because at say 4.5" they're rubbing something at full lock.

Top Bottom