Getting a PR44 but...

jorgelrod

Hooked
Luck has shined upon me and some side projects have opened up the opportunity to buy a PR44 around August.

With that out of the way, some advice requested on a few things.

1. The main thing is that my goal gears wise has been to go to 4.56, as I've stated many times, my final tire size is going to be 35" and don't plan to go above that so I feel that is where I want to be on the power/ driving range. Before today the PR44 looked like it wasn't gonna happen for a while so I was planning on regearing my 44/30 to 4.56 to gain some of the lost mpgs since the tires (went from 16 to 12 avg since the tires). Now and this is the actual question, should I hold off on that regearing and save maybe $400 on the parts for the D30, I bring this up because my job as a consultant means I do a lot of stop and go city driving so I'm not entirely sure if i would end up saving more in gas by regearing now than waiting and saving on the parts.

2. The PR44 will be ordered with an Eaton E-Locker, I don't want an ARB, yes they are stronger and all that but I already have an air compressor on the powerplant and don't want another one even if it's a small one.
I know the eatons have been redesigned to be stronger, any reviews are helpful.
The rear I am leaning towards a Detroit, I'm familiar with Auto Lockers as I had one in my WJ before my JK, I'm open to going Eaton E-Locker on the rear but that involves drilling my diff and that would mean getting a really good installer since there is no coming back from a poorly made hole in a diff for the connections. Advice openly accepted...

3. Can I reuse my front driveshaft with the PR44? Just asking so I know if I have to factor a new one into my expenses on the PR44 purchase

4. Anything else I might need to think about that I haven't?

Assorted musings, I thought I might be able to get a trail 60 as well, but some other things have a bit more priority and I don't think I might be able to stretch my $$ that far...

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Before I read everything that you wrote, I saw you state in another thread that you are currently running 285/70R17's. If this correct, you are ALREADY running 35" tires or close to it. A 35x12.50R17 will have a true measurement of about 33" and your 285/70R17 will be just shy of that.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Thx Eddie, I thought 285 were akin to 33's and 305s were akin to 35's but, my measurement for the process based on your recommendation ended up being 31" nonetheless, my questions have little to do with tires so when you have a chance I value your expert input so do please read it
:)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thx Eddie, I thought 285 were akin to 33's and 305s were akin to 35's but, my measurement for the process based on your recommendation ended up being 31" nonetheless, my questions have little to do with tires so when you have a chance I value your expert input so do please read it
:)

I honestly don't know how that is possible. I just went outside and for the umpteenth time measured my worn out 285/75R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers and they still come up to about 32.5". I have run 305's and you are right, they are about as close as you will get to an advertised 35.

That being said, I would hold off on regearing until you get your new PR44. No point in paying for parts and labor twice. Regarding your front drive shaft, even if you could reuse the factory one, I wouldn't as you will just damage it at a full droop. And, if that didn't do it, you would still wear out your CV boots sooner than later.

Top Bottom