Jeep for the family

whytiptoe

Ok so I am looking at getting a JKUR new. My wife and I are expecting our first son and I think this would be a great vehicle for us. My wife on the other hand does not think so. I would like to use the Jeep for what it was intended for in a year or so. This way I could take my son and wife out camping. I don't want to buy another vehicle that I don't really want and then have to wait till my son is 6-8 years old before I can take him camping. We can not afford two car payments and any loan would be 5-7 years. Any thoughts on to either convince my wife to get the Jeep or convince my self to wait and get the Jeep latter. Thanks in advance.

whytiptoe

Yes she has taken one for a test drive and she likes it. She just doesn't think we're going to use the jeep for what it was intended for I guess until he's four. As far as what she wants she has no clue.

Your wife is correct.

Get a Jeep when the time is right and can afford it.

*edit. Your 1st post said you can't swing two payments. Save cash and buy a second reliable car or even the JK with cash.

Put a car seat in the back and sit next to it as if your feeding your kid. You'd be lying your ass off if you tell me it's comfortable.
Fact of the matter is. With just one kid it's totally do able but not at all comfortable or economical. And is the reason my jeep spends most of its time in the garage.
Comfort is subjective...YMMV

Last edited:

whytiptoe

It's really not that we can't afford it. She just thinks it would be a waste as we would not use the Jeep as I wanted till he was older. I don't want to buy a car and then have to wait till that's paid off. By that time he will be 5-7 and I'd like to take him camping and off roading before that. I'm trying to get something we can do as a family. My wife hates my motorcycles and if he likes riding motorcycles we will definitely do that together just me and him. But I would like to get a jeep and go camping in and go off-road Ing and go on scenic drives together as a family

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Well some selling points I used when I was in the same boat were:
1) Completely stock, the JKU gets only one or two less mpg as a minivan or bigger SUV.
2) With kids its always a good idea to have 4wd/awd so you have a better chance of getting out of dodge when the weather is crap. Note: 4wd does NOT make you invincible, it is just a better option.
3) Weekend get away vehicle to get off of the beaten trail.

As for your lady not thinking you'll use it, you'll just have to prove her wrong ha.

KingCopperhead

Your bargaining leverage depends a lot on your financial situation, which I'm not going to pry into.

As far as the jeep not being economical, your wife is correct. However what are you comparing it to? Is she thinking about something along the lines of a minivan or small suv? They're not a whole lot less expensive. Nor do they get much better gas mileage. Is she thinking something like a Honda civic? Or a small econobox type car? Not a lot of room in those to grow into. What if you have more kids? Sure 2 kids fit in a sedan just fine, and it has a trunk. But good luck camping. Or bringing big things home from the store.

Now if you're in an extremely tight financial situation then definitely wait. If you're staring at a 7 year loan at a high interest rate, then PLEASE listen to your wife.

One other thing I'll add. A lot of things change after having a child. Not that your child won't bring boat loads of happiness. But for most of us, the days of having toys and going wherever we want, whenever we want are over. For a while anyway. A jeep might be the one guilty pleasure that let's you still feel like you have a sense of that missing freedom. Even if it's only during your commute to work. Becoming a parent brings a lot of sacrifice but you still need *something* fun in your life.

This is coming from a father of 3. I get to wheel my jeep 3 or 4 times a year. My boys go with me and they LOVE it.

TLDR if you can afford it without putting yourself into a bad financial situation then do it.

trailless

Caught the Bug
Your wife's right that a Jeep isn't an economical choice. I'm averaging 14 mpg, the back seats suck, storage space is limited compared to cars similar in size, its lacking in technology and other accessories.

With that said, I still drive a Jeep and I love it! Try to convince your wife that it would be a great way to spend time together as a family. :thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Your profile says you are in TN, from what I know there are tons of trails and camping opportunities there.

BlackHawk08jk

The only thing with small kids and the jku is the heat does not travel to the back all that well. Other than that I see no reason not to.

atrollip

I think iv heard that you can't get the diesel in America but if you could they are really economical, mine nearly gives me the same as my old compass. And plenty of towing power for later if ud like a caravan or trailer.

Hobolobo

I think iv heard that you can't get the diesel in America but if you could they are really economical, mine nearly gives me the same as my old compass. And plenty of towing power for later if ud like a caravan or trailer.

You are correct, no diesel here. Yet.

HoosierWolf

There is a lot of really good advice here so I guess I don't have much to add.

The one thing that struck me based on the reasons she listed is that she doesn't think you will use it like you want to until he's 4 which may or may not end up being true. If you guys camp now though I'd bet you will still camp after your child is born. I know I would. I've even camped with my parrot (btw single guys if you want ladies to come into your camp and strike up conversations bring with you bring macaw camping with you.. fortunately my wife isn't the jealous type.)

So say for example, she's right and you don't end up camping for a couple of years, what are you out having purchased a jeep?

1) You were going to have a car payment anyway.
2) Minivans as pointed out really don't get much better gas mileage and your jeep will handle bad weather so much better even with stock tires than a minivan or sedan the two are almost not even comparable. Of course again as mentioned, not invincible but way better/safer.
3) The jeep is also a convertible when you want it to be, the other options most likely never will be.
4) When camping ends up being an option, you already have the jeep.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Also if for some reason you had to sell it, the jeep would hold its value better than a car or a mini van.

By all means, listen to your wife but both of you need/should be happy. My boss had some similarities with your situation. His wife and him already had two kids, one was a recent addition though. He was wanting a jeep for a long time but was stuck driving his honda fit because she was giving him every excuse as to why they shouldnt get one. When he finally got one, his payments didnt go up, the loan did extend for a longer term. His wife loves it and drives it just as much as him. She didnt think they would ever take the top off, which they do anytime the weather permits. They now also take the jeep more on family outings as his honda was only a commuter for him, they didnt take it anywhere as a family even when they only had one child. So she enjoys taking the jeep now, etc.

You said your wife already has driven/rode in one and likes it. I would say she would like it when you finally got one. Dont force it though and cause resentment between you all. That isnt good either.

Good luck with the purchase!

TCMguy

Here is my :twocents: worth;

Both you and your wife have raised very valid points. One of the issues is the use of the Jeep Wrangler for it's "proper" purpose. I would suggest that you and your wife sit down and compile a list of what you are looking for in a vehicle. Then, compile a list of candidate vehicles and their costs that could fulfill these requirements. A third list could be uses such as commuting, camping etc. with associated costs.

You may have already done this; both of you should try out candidate vehicles. As it's been pointed out previously in this thread it's surprising how expensive some of these "family vehicles" are to run.

The other option you may wish to consider is renting a Jeep Wrangler and going out with a club or group to a camping/trail family activity where you could see other families with children. This is a good way to experience the "JEEP Thing". Make sure your wife does some of the driving.

There is also the possibility of purchasing a second hand Jeep Wrangler. This is what I did and I am very happy with it.

whytiptoe

I would like to thank you all for your input. I am going to have to sit down with the wife and see what she really wants to do. I hope that I can bring her around to the Jeep side and I can get something that we can do as a family and get out of the house and see the world as everyone should do.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I would like to thank you all for your input. I am going to have to sit down with the wife and see what she really wants to do. I hope that I can bring her around to the Jeep side and I can get something that we can do as a family and get out of the house and see the world as everyone should do.

I drive a 2014 JK daily. My wife has a 2014 Town and Country minivan fully loaded. This thing has TVs, DVD, leather, all kinds of gizmos everywhere. It was not cheap. She wanted it because we have kids ranging from 14 to 4. Even I think it's damn nice, and I'm not a minivan person at all! Every time we go out, short trips with the family, long trips to other states, weekend drives... Guess what? The kids and he wife practically beg to take the Jeep. Is the van a better traveler? You bet. But they all still love the Jeep. It's comfortable, it's fun, its great to drop the top on nice sunny days with the whole family. And I'm not getting terrible mileage with it either, even with 35s. Heck, even when my wife goes to get groceries, she asks if I can take the top and doors off the Jeep so she can take it! The wife and kids love it, just had to let her drive it on her own a few times and she was sold.

Top Bottom