Jeep for the family

AJK

Here is my two cents for what it's worth. It's up to you and what you all think you can live with. This is what I could tell you from my experience. I love my JKU and I have a 12yr and a 6yr. The jeep is comfortable for all of us to ride around town and take short trips in. In fact we are in it a lot and the kids love it. Couple years ago when we first bought the Jeep we thought it would be fun to drive it to FL on our family vacation instead of my wife's SUV. After a 12 hour road trip and getting at best 18mpg my wife said it was never going on a family vacation again she was miserable the kid were tired of being cramped that long etc. Her SUV on the same trip gets 24mpg has a DVD player adjustable seats in the back all the compartments to stow the kids stuff. So it's definitely more practical. You also wanted to use your jeep for trail riding. One thing to think about, if it's your family vehicle what are you going to do when you break something on the trails? How much would that put you all out? When my oldest was first born I had a lifted XJ which probably has the same room as the JKU and we made it work for a little while but it wasn't long after that we traded my wife's car in for a bigger SUV to use as the family vehicle. Remember this, if the wife's not happy ain't no one happy. Have you thought about buying a good used TJ or older Jk as a second vehicle to use for trail riding and camping and not carry a payment on it?

Last edited:

ScoobyCarolanNC

My son is 5 months old and my step daughter is 5 years. While gas sucks, a decently equipped CUV is 30K while a Sahara is like 26K. What do you really need? Do you really need navigation, a touch screen, pandora, dual zone climate, a/c seats, and all that noise? Jeeps retain value better than a crossover, (probably) have a lower total cost of ownership, and if it gets a door ding you won't loose your mind. Also check your insurance rates.

KingCopperhead

I drive a 2014 JK daily. My wife has a 2014 Town and Country minivan fully loaded. This thing has TVs, DVD, leather, all kinds of gizmos everywhere. It was not cheap. She wanted it because we have kids ranging from 14 to 4. Even I think it's damn nice, and I'm not a minivan person at all! Every time we go out, short trips with the family, long trips to other states, weekend drives... Guess what? The kids and he wife practically beg to take the Jeep. Is the van a better traveler? You bet. But they all still love the Jeep. It's comfortable, it's fun, its great to drop the top on nice sunny days with the whole family. And I'm not getting terrible mileage with it either, even with 35s. Heck, even when my wife goes to get groceries, she asks if I can take the top and doors off the Jeep so she can take it! The wife and kids love it, just had to let her drive it on her own a few times and she was sold.

Everyone loves jeeps. My fiancee drives an 11 Acadia. Similar to your t/c very comfortable. Very expensive.

The kids would rather ride in the jeep.

The only time I like driving the Acadia is when it's freezing out since it has heated seats. Next winter I'm putting heated seat covers in my jk.

OP. Hope you end up in a jeep. Your family will love it. My son is 10 and already can't wait to start building his TJ. (I kept my old jeep so he and I can rebuild it together, and then wheel together.)

It's more than just a jeep. It's a way of life :)

t8er

I don't have a whole lot to add since I'm single but I do wheel with others in a club. The all have JKU's and its their daily driver as well. For one family it's the only vehicle. Their kids love it, wives enjoy the scenery (some drive). The jeep will hold better value than the minivan and if you do a lot of road trips then minivan may be worth it. Otherwise rent one for a weekend and see how it goes. Good luck.

whytiptoe

Well speaking with the wife and she is acceptive to the idea of a jeep. We went and looked and now all she wants to do is make sure that the car seat we want for our new son will fit and that she is comfortable driving the jeep, as she will be the primary driver and I will get the scion. check out what we are looking at, place has the best pricing unless someone on here has see better. http://www.nashvillechryslerdodgera...nlimited-3dfb2f6d0a0a00de128e647ead120ce9.htm

WillyJKU14

Ok well my wife felt the same way. I ended up getting a 2014 JKU Willys wheeler. And now about 10 months later we have his and hers! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426997413.127487.jpg

Jk909

Forget the rubicon if you are tight on funds. Check the paper and you can find a brand new sport for 25,500.00. Go buy it and start having fun👍

whytiptoe

One more question, people with new borns how does the car seat fit and work with the jeep. do you have to slide the seat way up in order for it to fit and then the front passenger is uncomfortable or does it fit fairly well and there is no real issue.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
One more question, people with new borns how does the car seat fit and work with the jeep. do you have to slide the seat way up in order for it to fit and then the front passenger is uncomfortable or does it fit fairly well and there is no real issue.

When we had our first we put the seat in the center for two reasons. 1) It is safer for the baby. 2) We didnt have to manipulate the seats at all.

Now that we have two, the newborn behind the front passager and we have to have the front passager seat far forward and straight up in order for the seat to fit.

I can get you pics if you want.

whytiptoe

Well that is not what I wanted to here, that is one of the main reasons we are waiting to see how it works with the car seat. I personally do not want to have to do that as it is not comfortable for the passenger. If it is not to hard I would like a photo.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
In my experience with my '08 Rubicon 4dr and my new '15 Rubicon 4dr and baby seats in the back, it's best to avoid car seats that have a base that stays in the back seat where you just release the baby seat and carry it with you by the handle. They can be more convenient, but my daughter grew out of hers quickly. It took up tons of room, and the front passenger seat had to be pretty far forward. When my daughter was in the middle my wife had a hard time reaching the baby seat. I went to a Chicco Nextfit baby seat, and even in the rear facing position, gave me 3-4" of extra space between the front of the baby seat and the back of the passenger front seat, and it's one of the highest safety rated seats you can buy. My 2nd kid is due the end of May and he will be going in the Chicco seat and my daughter who will be three this year, will be going in a Britax booster seat with a high back and 5 point harness. But, it's also temporary having the jk as a dd since I will be getting my wife a van or suv of her own this year so that I can drop off my new jeep for a few weeks at ORE to start the EVO build on it, and not have to worry about the hassles of daily driving a lifted jk with a family.

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Here you go. 1427052119953.jpg 1427052130408.jpg 1427052145189.jpg 1427052156826.jpg 1427052167866.jpg

I am 6' and I fit in the front passenger seat. The reason why the seat 8s straight up is to allow the handle on the car seat to fold forward. You can still recline the front passenger seat after you put the car seat in. Also, for now my wife sits in the back between the two and she has no complaints. Hope this helps.

whytiptoe

Here you go. View attachment 132334 View attachment 132335 View attachment 132336 View attachment 132337 View attachment 132338

I am 6' and I fit in the front passenger seat. The reason why the seat 8s straight up is to allow the handle on the car seat to fold forward. You can still recline the front passenger seat after you put the car seat in. Also, for now my wife sits in the back between the two and she has no complaints. Hope this helps.

Awesome Well I hope when we go next week to put the car seat in the jeep everything works out and I can get my new toy that the wife gets to drive more than me.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Also the rear seat recline kits that you see that place blocks of some type ( some aluminum, some UMVH plastic) under the front legs of the rear seat help aid in giving a small amount of extra space in the rear seat. I had them in my '08, and have not put them in my '15, and I can tell somewhat of a difference. The extra seat angle with those blocks installed seemed to help slightly in my '08.

Here you go. View attachment 132334 View attachment 132335 View attachment 132336 View attachment 132337 View attachment 132338

Slightly off topic, but how do you like having that sSafety First booster seat? It's on my list of potential booster seats that still have a 5 point harness, to put put my daughter in once my son is born in May. Looks like it fits in the back of a JKU very well without hanging over the edge of the seat.

Last edited:

ScoobyCarolanNC

No issues with the baby seat behind the passenger for me. I have to take it out to fit 2 adults in back. I'd probably move it to center if I had my boy & 2 friends back there.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Slightly off topic, but how do you like having that sSafety First booster seat? It's on my list of potential booster seats that still have a 5 point harness, to put put my daughter in once my son is born in May. Looks like it fits in the back of a JKU very well without hanging over the edge of the seat.

It works well. It has three mounting points to hold it in there well and it is high enough that my oldest can see out of the Jeep. Which keeps him happy on long car rides.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Take her out to dinner at a really nice place. Do some extra honey-do projects without being asked. Then beg like you're trying to save your life. :D

When i bought mine, my wife was completely against it. We have 2 boys, 7mo and 4yo. So 1 car seat and one carrier. It works fine. Its obviously not a church van but it does work without issue. Now my wife loves it and would rather travel in my jk as a family instead of her camry.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Good luck with the new baby.

I should have added to my last post: I'm driving an 07 Liberty and my wife and I have installed a few of our grandson's car seats over the past couple of years with few problems. When he was in a rear facing seat, we would leave the handle for carrying the seat in the up position, so that I wouldn't have to pull my seat up (I'm 6'2", and usually have my seat pushed all the way back). Often, my wife would jump in the back seat so she could keep him occupied, feed him, etc. We always left the seat in the vehicle, as we didn't like carrying a baby and a car seat. And the dimensions for inside of the Liberty are either the same, or very close to, the JKU.

Top Bottom