Best trail in Big Bear...

Shantz

Hello all,

Looking for a good trail in Big Bear that would rate on a scale of 1-10... about a 5/6... nothing too crazy... but with some good challenges.

Heading there the end of April... any info is appreciated.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
Welcome to Wayalife. Make sure you head over to the Give us a wave section and tell us a little about yourself and your Jeep. The John Bull Trail and Holcomb Creek Trail are the two trails that come to
Mind that would offer any challenge for a mildly built JK. It would help if you fill out your profile so people know what your running. Big difference in trail recommendations for a stock JK vs a Jk on 37s

Last edited:

crowrb29

John Bull is pretty good from what I hear from everyone out here. My friend that grew up there had a rubi on 35s and a 3in lift and he said John Bull was the hardest trail up there. Every other trail up there was pretty easy for him. I've ran a lot of trails up there on 33s with a 2.5in bb on a jku and had a lot of fun. Gold Mtn is pretty good if your trying to get your feet wet, or heartbreak ridge. Something worth checking out would be this book http://www.amazon.com/Southern-Cali...-spell&keywords=Southern+California+backroada .

It's a little bit old but it will get you pointed in the right direction.

taher2.1

Here are the trail from easy to difficult

White Mountain Trail
Golden Mountain
Dishpan
Holcomb Creek
John Bull

If you are running stock on last three, keep your strap out and make sure you have a good spotter. You should be able to find GPS tracks by google search or stop by at Discovery center to pick up a map

Last edited:

Shantz

Cool, thank you for the input. I've updated my rig info. Mild extras on 35's, with a few years experience off-roading. Not ready for the Rubicon trail, but looking to do a little more than the easy runs. Been to Big Bear a few times, Hungry Valley, Azuza, and Santa Clarita. It's my DD, so not looking to break anything, just want to get a little out of my comfort zone.

safecracker909

Gold Mountain is a fun trail. Lately it is getting beat up by stock vehicles.
Heartbreak Ridge, Onyx Summit are some medium runs.
Tiptop Mountain is easy with scenic views.

Big Bear has a lot to work with.
Check out Inland Empire 4 Wheelrs website. They host Forest Fest during Father's Day weekend. Good trails and good food.

Hangemhigh1

Thanks for posting this Shantz, I will be there after Easter with my DD for a few days. Thanks for the input Guys.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Cool, thank you for the input. I've updated my rig info. Mild extras on 35's, with a few years experience off-roading. Not ready for the Rubicon trail, but looking to do a little more than the easy runs. Been to Big Bear a few times, Hungry Valley, Azuza, and Santa Clarita. It's my DD, so not looking to break anything, just want to get a little out of my comfort zone.

With 35's, you can have fun on ALL of the trails listed.

jeeps123

I drove all the way up the north side, into the old gold mine area. crazy switchbacks, lots of loose rocks, youll have a blast. I cant remember, but i think it was heading up to where the biggest producing mine was. Definitely on the north side of the lake

JKALLTHEWAY

:cheesy: Only by people who've never run the Rubicon and are looking to puff it up into something that it's NOT.

I've ran both, John Bull isn't even close to the Rubicon. But both trails are fun. Gold mountain is okay Holcomb Creek and Dishman are cool are good runs, if you go in at Running Springs you can do both in a day then be home before dark.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've ran both, John Bull isn't even close to the Rubicon. But both trails are fun. Gold mountain is okay Holcomb Creek and Dishman are cool are good runs, if you go in at Running Springs you can do both in a day then be home before dark.

Never said it wasn't a fun trail, I just think it silly to try and compare it to the Rubicon in any shape or form just to make it sound more badass. :crazyeyes:

LeJerk

Never said it wasn't a fun trail, I just think it silly to try and compare it to the Rubicon in any shape or form just to make it sound more badass. :crazyeyes:

Do you have a link to a good write up of the Rubicon trail? How it compares, what kind of rig you need to be successful.

Top Bottom