Front Driveshaft Vibrations.... Still

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
After recently swapping gears to 5.13s and having the front driveshaft changed to a J.E.Reel 1350, I picked up a high frequency, oscillating vibration. Thinking it was driveline angle related, I ditched the AEV Brackets and stock lowers and replaced them with EVO Lower Control Arms.

I have slowly been adjust the pinion and have gotten to the point where I am sub 3° on caster and the arms are as short as they can go (22-1/2ish). The steering was flighty and no charge change in the vibration. It stays the same from 3° all the way to 4.8° degrees of caster.

I've pulled the shaft and the vibration completely disappears. I would think this 100% points to a driveshaft issue (balancing or a bad joint) and I plan on giving Drew a call at ORE this morning, but thought I run it by the group first before they open up.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well that sucks especially if it's a new shaft. It is really hard to get a shaft perfect with 5.13's being that it spins stupid fast but, I feel your frustration. If you bought it directly from JE Reel, I would contact them to have it shipped back and rebalanced.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Well that sucks especially if it's a new shaft. It is really hard to get a shaft perfect with 5.13's being that it spins stupid fast but, I feel your frustration. If you bought it directly from JE Reel, I would contact them to have it shipped back and rebalanced.

I figure with 5.13s and 37" Nittos, the ride isn't going to be prefect. Good thing is, it's damn close. :)

Since I am about 100% sure it's a balance issue and not a pinion angle issue, are there any ill effects driving it with the slight vibration?

I picked up the shaft through ORE when they did my gears, so I'll give them a call first, but working directly with Reel works too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I figure with 5.13s and 37" Nittos, the ride isn't going to be prefect. Good thing is, it's damn close. :)

Since I am about 100% sure it's a balance issue and not a pinion angle issue, are there any ill effects driving it with the slight vibration?

I picked up the shaft through ORE when they did my gears, so I'll give them a call first, but working directly with Reel works too.

How fast are you going when you feel it? After getting 5.38's installed on Rubicat, I started feeling a slight vibration at about 80MPH. Needless to say, I try to keep it below 80 and it's not an issue. If you're feeling them at something like 65MPH, it'd be something I would address. Otherwise, it really isn't that big of a deal so long as the vibration is slight.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
How fast are you going when you feel it? After getting 5.38's installed on Rubicat, I started feeling a slight vibration at about 80MPH. Needless to say, I try to keep it below 80 and it's not an issue. If you're feeling them at something like 65MPH, it'd be something I would address. Otherwise, it really isn't that big of a deal so long as the vibration is slight.

It starts around 60 and is strongest at about 71-72. I just got back from an 800mi trip to NE California and I just kept the speed to 65.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It starts around 60 and is strongest at about 71-72. I just got back from an 800mi trip to NE California and I just kept the speed to 65.

Yeah.... with it being right there in the cruising speed, I might have it addressed if only because it's annoying. If it's a bad vibration, that can eventually lead to your t-case housing breaking. This is something I have seen happen more than once and even on my own t-case BUT, the vibrations were significant. What sucks is that a u-joint shaft going out of balance isn't an uncommon thing just like tires that go out of balance. In fact, I find that I need to get mine rebalanced on a somewhat regular basis just because of the wheeling I do but for this to be the case on a "new" shaft is the bummer thing. A local shop should be able to balance it for about $45 but again, being that this is new, I might have them take care of it.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug

I tried calling Reel directly to discuss my vibration issues and you know who he suggested I speak to? Some guy at ORE named Mel Wade. ;)
Can't say that speaks much for their customer service, although I never discussed sending it back for rebalancing, but at least they pointed me in a good direction.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Well, the driveshaft is headed back to ORE/J.E. Reel. I took the shaft to a local shop this morning and within 2hrs he called a day said they aren't able to balance the shaft due to excessive play in the splines and in the U-Joint.

A big thumbs up to ORE and Drew! He has been extremely helpful in sorting this out even though I'm 400mi away in Norcal. :) :)

deezus

I'm having the same kinda issues with my 5.13 gears. I have a RK mid arm 3.5" lift, on 35"(lol) GY Duratracs and at first I had a horribly vibration at 45mph up. Took it to a local shop who rebalanced it for free because there shop actually makes Rubicon Express DS (yes, I know). Put it back on and vibration is gone until I'm in highest gear and above 60mph then it is there but very small but still there. Now I did this regearing to go to 37" nittos which are going on Friday so maybe I wont have this issue after that and I hope that is the case!

One more thing, I talked to the guy who did my alignment and ask him what my pinion angle was, he didn't have an answer. I ask him how he measured my pinion at the front, he said "By Eye". Now maybe he is right on but tomorrow I'm taking it to another shop who said they never "Eye" anything. I'm in the middle of this issue and just want it to go away.....I'm in Northern Cali and I wish I would've just went to ORE. Everytime I've called they have been nothing but helpful. If I cant get this resolved up here I'm gonna go down there and see what they can do....

WJCO

Meme King
I'm having the same kinda issues with my 5.13 gears. I have a RK mid arm 3.5" lift, on 35"(lol) GY Duratracs and at first I had a horribly vibration at 45mph up. Took it to a local shop who rebalanced it for free because there shop actually makes Rubicon Express DS (yes, I know). Put it back on and vibration is gone until I'm in highest gear and above 60mph then it is there but very small but still there. Now I did this regearing to go to 37" nittos which are going on Friday so maybe I wont have this issue after that and I hope that is the case!

One more thing, I talked to the guy who did my alignment and ask him what my pinion angle was, he didn't have an answer. I ask him how he measured my pinion at the front, he said "By Eye". Now maybe he is right on but tomorrow I'm taking it to another shop who said they never "Eye" anything. I'm in the middle of this issue and just want it to go away.....I'm in Northern Cali and I wish I would've just went to ORE. Everytime I've called they have been nothing but helpful. If I cant get this resolved up here I'm gonna go down there and see what they can do....

'By eye!' What a Dbag. You can't eye those kind of measurements. For your own peace of mind and sense of pride to do it yourself, buy a magnetic analog angle finder like the one in Eddie's alignment DIY thread from ebay or harbor freight and check it your self. That is a great tool to have and you can even use it for projects at home.

deezus

'By eye!' What a Dbag. You can't eye those kind of measurements. For your own peace of mind and sense of pride to do it yourself, buy a magnetic analog angle finder like the one in Eddie's alignment DIY thread from ebay or harbor freight and check it your self. That is a great tool to have and you can even use it for projects at home.

Thanks, ill check it out!

deezus

So, just got the 37s on and took it for a ride. Still feel the vibration and I noticed that shifting into last gear, Overdrive I think, rpms went all the way up to 4500 before shifting. I don't know what the rpms for every gear to shift, if someone can tell me that would be nice, I have 5.13, auto and 37" Nittos. One other thing, on the front differential case, on upper right top corner,theres an electrical connection that is cracked , part#68003570aa. I don't think it has anything to do with it but you never know.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

So, just got the 37s on and took it for a ride. Still feel the vibration and I noticed that shifting into last gear, Overdrive I think, rpms went all the way up to 4500 before shifting. I don't know what the rpms for every gear to shift, if someone can tell me that would be nice, I have 5.13, auto and 37" Nittos. One other thing, on the front differential case, on upper right top corner,theres an electrical connection that is cracked , part#68003570aa. I don't think it has anything to do with it but you never know.

Did you retune for the tire size? Makes a world of difference with the shifting.

Top Bottom