PDA

View Full Version : Limp Mode

Voodoo Actual
03-23-2015, 06:34 PM
Does anyone know how to get a 2014 JK out of limp mode? I've gotten the engine warning light off twice but the Jeep is still driving in limp mode.

Is there a way to do this without going to the dealer so that I can drive normally until I get to the dealer?

Canvas JK
03-23-2015, 06:36 PM
Does anyone know how to get a 2014 JK out of limp mode? I've gotten the engine warning light off twice but the Jeep is still driving in limp mode.

Is there a way to do this without going to the dealer so that I can drive normally until I get to the dealer?

I do not know. What did you do to your Jeep that would cause your check engine light to come on?

olram30
03-23-2015, 06:36 PM
You do anything to the jeep lately? Steering wheel centered?

Sharkey
03-23-2015, 06:41 PM
Have you tried unhooking the battery for about 30 minutes?

Voodoo Actual
03-23-2015, 06:55 PM
I do not know. What did you do to your Jeep that would cause your check engine light to come on?

You do anything to the jeep lately? Steering wheel centered?

I have no idea. There haven't been any changes made to the Jeep. I walked out the door with my coffee and started it to head in for my shift and after start up the check engine light never went off.

Have you tried unhooking the battery for about 30 minutes?

Yes. The 1st time I got the light off I disconnected the battery for about 45 mins and the light just came back in after a cycle of the ignition. The 2nd time I got the light off I disconnected the negative cable, turned the ignition to On, tapped the negative cable to the lead, turned the ignition off, then reconnected the cable to the terminal.

That got the light off but the Jeep is stuck in limp mode.

It won't get going over 60 downhill with a tail wind and is always shifting into 3rd.

Moochie
03-23-2015, 07:20 PM
Low oil level/pressure can be one cause of limp mode.

jeeeep
03-23-2015, 07:40 PM

^^I would consider this^^
did you get an oil change recently?

Voodoo Actual
03-23-2015, 07:44 PM

^^I would consider this^^
did you get an oil change recently?

I did not. The cams were replaced recently and the belt/water pump since the belt/pulley exploded and inhaled he belt through the crank seal - that's what they said.

I found what appears to be dried silicone on my dip stick. Plenty of oil but silicone on the dip stick. My guess is this was the dealers attempt to make a gasket(?).

Update:
Light is back on. So I haven't gotten anywhere.

gingerchocolate
03-24-2015, 12:33 AM
I feel like you should take it back to the dealer. (I'm assuming they did the recent work as you mentioned the gasket maker on the dipstick)

I had mine go into torque reduction mode (that's what the dealer called it) and the dealer was the only one that could reset it. However, I'm not sure if limp mode and what he called torque reduction is the same thing.

Voodoo Actual
03-24-2015, 01:49 AM
I feel like you should take it back to the dealer. (I'm assuming they did the recent work as you mentioned the gasket maker on the dipstick)

I had mine go into torque reduction mode (that's what the dealer called it) and the dealer was the only one that could reset it. However, I'm not sure if limp mode and what he called torque reduction is the same thing.

Yes, this was all warranty work.

It's probably the same thing. They called it limp mode last time this happened which was when the cams and a bunch of other stuff was replaced.

How was yours driving when it happened to you?

I'm on graves right now so it's difficult for me to get my Jeep in. It's never a quick process either. Somehow dropping my vehicle off always takes at least an hour.

Any other ideas how to get it out of limp (or whatever they call it now) until I'm able to get it to the dealer?

Heholua
03-24-2015, 02:20 AM
Are you able to find out what CEL codes are coming up? The only way I know how to get the Jeep out of limp mode is to have a code reader clear the codes.

olram30
03-24-2015, 02:22 AM
I did not. The cams were replaced recently and the belt/water pump since the belt/pulley exploded and inhaled he belt through the crank seal - that's what they said.

I found what appears to be dried silicone on my dip stick. Plenty of oil but silicone on the dip stick. My guess is this was the dealers attempt to make a gasket(?).

Update:
Light is back on. So I haven't gotten anywhere.

]
dang, that sucks! i would go back to the dealer with that. good luck getting this resolved.

toxicwaste29
03-24-2015, 02:23 AM
Have you checked codes?

Voodoo Actual
03-24-2015, 02:26 AM
Are you able to find out what CEL codes are coming up? The only way I know how to get the Jeep out of limp mode is to have a code reader clear the codes.

Have you checked codes?

I have a Flashcal that reads and clears codes. But it only found codes for my lighting since I have Truck-Lites. I cleared what it found - that didn't do anything.

I have an OBD II as well. I'll go check again with both.

Voodoo Actual
03-24-2015, 03:26 AM
Okay. I can't spend any more time in this right now but here is what I've come up with for now:

This is what the Flashcal read:

This is useless. I know I have Truck-lites. Thanks Flashcal.

This is what the OBD II read:

It would appear the oil theory is correct - this is why the vehicle went into limp mode.

It is clear this condition was caused by the Chrysler techs. We will be having a friendly conversation about their "quality" of work and they will be taking care of the repair. At a minimum.

We also learned the Flashcal does not read and clear the codes what we need it to read and clear - something to keep in mind.

Heholua
03-24-2015, 03:33 AM
It may not necessarily be the tech's fault. It's a faulty sensor that went bad. Hopefully the dealer will have one in stock. Even if you were able to clear the code, it would come right back on. Best of luck to you.

Voodoo Actual
03-24-2015, 05:09 AM
It may not necessarily be the tech's fault. It's a faulty sensor that went bad. Hopefully the dealer will have one in stock. Even if you were able to clear the code, it would come right back on. Best of luck to you.

I'd say bits of silicone fall under the tech. That shows pretty messy work. Who knows what else they've done wrong. For all I know, their work could be contributing to a lot of things.

If silicone on the dip stick is normal, okay. I don't ever remember silicone on your dip stick being normal, or advised though.

Update:
2 ignition cycles and it's back in limp mode. Looks like it will be this way until I have time to get it in.

SASI4BT
03-24-2015, 11:53 PM
You might have silicone plugging up the oil pick up screen, if this is really an oil pressure problem, you should think twice about driving it. Just my two cents.

Voodoo Actual
03-25-2015, 01:46 AM
You might have silicone plugging up the oil pick up screen, if this is really an oil pressure problem, you should think twice about driving it. Just my two cents.

I don't have that option. I have a vehicle because I need it.

I contacted Lithia, here, and they acknowledged the silicone is from their technicians after I sent them the pictures posted here. They refused to take my vehicle in until their service manager tells them what to do.

I'm not sure if that's the most tactically sound decision they made but that's what they relayed to me.

olram30
03-25-2015, 01:51 AM
I don't have that option. I have a vehicle because I need it.

I contacted Lithia, here, and they acknowledged the silicone is from their technicians after I sent them the pictures posted here. They refused to take my vehicle in until their service manager tells them what to do.

I'm not sure if that's the most tactically sound decision they made but that's what they relayed to me.

They won't offer a loaner?

gingerchocolate
03-25-2015, 02:05 AM
Yes, this was all warranty work.

How was yours driving when it happened to you?

Mine happened because of an ESP error. I was on a road trip from Los Angeles to St. Louis. I hit a wind storm that just tossed me around like a beach ball and the computer didn't like it.

It was driving like it was being choked. Just a total lack of power. MPGs went way down too.

Voodoo Actual
03-25-2015, 02:28 AM
They won't offer a loaner?

No.

The dealer has acknowledged this is because of their work and they will not take my vehicle until they decide what to do.

If the engine were to let go because of this, does this place the liability with them?

Mine happened because of an ESP error. I was on a road trip from Los Angeles to St. Louis. I hit a wind storm that just tossed me around like a beach ball and the computer didn't like it.

It was driving like it was being choked. Just a total lack of power. MPGs went way down too.

Sounds about right. Mine just has a different code. It's a "permanent" code - in guessing the dealer has to take care of that.

olram30
03-25-2015, 02:32 AM
No.

The dealer has acknowledged this is because of their work and they will not take my vehicle until they decide what to do.

If the engine were to let go because of this, does this place the liability with them?

Sounds about right. Mine just has a different code. It's a "permanent" code - in guessing the dealer has to take care of that.

I would say so.
And to much tequila and I go into limp mode.

hydrohut
03-25-2015, 02:37 AM
I'd be wanting them to explain how that silicon got on the end of the dip stick and a reassurance from them that no more of that stuff is inside the crankcase/cyl heads etc. That is not a good look.

Voodoo Actual
03-25-2015, 04:42 AM
I'd be wanting them to explain how that silicon got on the end of the dip stick and a reassurance from them that no more of that stuff is inside the crankcase/cyl heads etc. That is not a good look.

The dealer said its from when their techs last had the engine apart and used silicone to seal the oil pan. They must of used an absurd amount and been careless.

There are new codes every time the ignition turns over - I think the engine has to be disassembled to get the silicone out of it. It's not a radiator - they can't back flush it. In pretty sure one of the sensors is damaged....at least.

According to the oil pressure gage, sometimes, after its started the oil pressure stays at a solid 99. While other times it varies between mid 60's and about 90. 99 must be when it's more plugged up.

gingerchocolate
03-25-2015, 04:47 AM
You know, now that I think about it. There are these blue pills that are supposed to get you out of limp mode.

Voodoo Actual
03-25-2015, 02:24 PM
You know, now that I think about it. There are these blue pills that are supposed to get you out of limp mode.

Couldn't hurt.

Voodoo Actual
03-25-2015, 08:20 PM
I guess the Flashcal is picking up codes now.

Voodoo Actual
03-27-2015, 04:29 AM
Too good...

USMCvet
03-27-2015, 05:03 PM
There's one sure way to get results, take all of your documentation to a lemon law attorney and have them fire off some correspondence to the dealer and Chrysler's regional rep. It may piss the dealership off - so be it - but as sure as I sit here it will be taken care of in short order. They know the next thing that follows is a lemon law suit. I would even bet you get a loaner for the duration of the repair. The repair may consist of a tear down or a complete service replacement engine depending. If there's resistance however, then this could be a long drawn out process and involve litigation. You pay no money out of pocket and if you don't succeed there's no cost. If you prevail, the attorney takes a set amount. I've been down this road with a vehicle, dealership, and manufacture. It was worth it and I prevailed, but it took time because the California dealership filed bankruptcy right after my judgment, I then had to go after the manufacture. It all worked out in the end.

Voodoo Actual
03-27-2015, 07:08 PM
There's one sure way to get results, take all of your documentation to a lemon law attorney and have them fire off some correspondence to the dealer and Chrysler's regional rep. It may piss the dealership off - so be it - but as sure as I sit here it will be taken care of in short order. They know the next thing that follows is a lemon law suit. I would even bet you get a loaner for the duration of the repair. The repair may consist of a tear down or a complete service replacement engine depending. If there's resistance however, then this could be a long drawn out process and involve litigation. You pay no money out of pocket and if you don't succeed there's no cost. If you prevail, the attorney takes a set amount. I've been down this road with a vehicle, dealership, and manufacture. It was worth it and I prevailed, but it took time because the California dealership filed bankruptcy right after my judgment, I then had to go after the manufacture. It all worked out in the end.

I'll have to sit down with a local attorney next week on a day off.

The dealer doesn't seem to care. Chrysler resolution offered me $3k to "settle" and avoid a lawsuit. That's a laughable amount. My vehicle had spent 150 days in the shop and it's never been fixed. It now has 35k miles on it - half of which are from the dealer driving around trying to diagnose it.

The whole thing is stupid and I don't think anyone has the time for it.

Voodoo Actual
04-09-2015, 05:54 PM
So....

My transfer case, dynamic sensor (TC), and oil pressure circuit switch are being replaced.

Exodus Jeeps
04-09-2015, 06:20 PM
So....

My transfer case, dynamic sensor (TC), and oil pressure circuit switch are being replaced.

This is classic dealership bullshit and just goes to show you how useless most dealer "mechanics" are these days. At least you have everything documented for the inevitable engine failure that will follow.

Voodoo Actual
04-09-2015, 06:46 PM
This is classic dealership bullshit and just goes to show you how useless most dealer "mechanics" are these days. At least you have everything documented for the inevitable engine failure that will follow.

I know. The whole thing is absurd.

I asked if their techs have ever had a drivers license before, ever. They said that wasn't the point. I said, well, that really is the point.

jeeeep
04-09-2015, 07:03 PM
what about the silicon on the dip stick? to me that means there's a very big chance there is silicon traveling through the engine just waiting to cause more damage.

Voodoo Actual
04-09-2015, 07:36 PM
what about the silicon on the dip stick? to me that means there's a very big chance there is silicon traveling through the engine just waiting to cause more damage.

Agreed.

They acknowledged that and brought this up with some super duper Chrysler technician. Who apparently denied the request to disassemble the engine to clean it up.

Exodus Jeeps
04-09-2015, 08:52 PM
I would start getting employee numbers, not just names, every time one of these idiots mutters a word. I hate to say it but I think you're going to need it.

I don't know about you, but it's even more frustrating when I know I could tear down and rebuild that engine better than the moron at the dealership and he's telling me what's going to happen based on his "vast" experience and knowledge.

Voodoo Actual
04-09-2015, 11:03 PM
I would start getting employee numbers, not just names, every time one of these idiots mutters a word. I hate to say it but I think you're going to need it.

I don't know about you, but it's even more frustrating when I know I could tear down and rebuild that engine better than the moron at the dealership and he's telling me what's going to happen based on his "vast" experience and knowledge.

The whole thing is really...odd. The amount of resources they've used up on this and now coming up on 200 days of shop time. It's just odd.

I won't be able to sell this Jeep for any real money either with its service history.

I test drove a new 2 dr manual the other day - if I could do it again, I'd really consider that.

spinuck
04-09-2015, 11:20 PM
Arent there "lemon laws" for stuff like this? Luckily I've never had to look into it, but aren't there consumer protection laws that would help you? either way, good luck, hope you get your Jeep fully and properly operating again.

USMCvet
04-10-2015, 03:51 AM
I'll have to sit down with a local attorney next week on a day off.

The dealer doesn't seem to care. Chrysler resolution offered me $3k to "settle" and avoid a lawsuit. That's a laughable amount. My vehicle had spent 150 days in the shop and it's never been fixed. It now has 35k miles on it - half of which are from the dealer driving around trying to diagnose it.

The whole thing is stupid and I don't think anyone has the time for it.

If they want to settle, then obviously there's a lemon law case. I'd cease any communication with anyone but a competent lemon law attorney.

Voodoo Actual
04-10-2015, 04:00 AM
Arent there "lemon laws" for stuff like this? Luckily I've never had to look into it, but aren't there consumer protection laws that would help you? either way, good luck, hope you get your Jeep fully and properly operating again.

Yes. I currently have a lemon law case open. That isn't stopping them from making laughable offers and throwing time, money, and parts at my Jeep.

One of the conditions of their laughable $3k offer was that I drop the lemon law case and that I agree to wipe the service history clean. Meaning, if have a bum vehicle but the service history wouldn't show it so it would free Chrysler from a lemon law case.

They weren't able to get the parts they needed so it'll be a couple weeks before they can work on it again. A couple more weeks out of my Jeep.

Voodoo Actual
04-19-2015, 03:46 PM
Good news!

The new transfer case, oil pressure circuit switch, and dynamic sensor have arrived. Now they must read the directions on how to install all of it - now they take a class on how to read good.

These 1500 loaners are pretty nice - auto 4x4 is a cool feature.

Voodoo Actual
04-26-2015, 12:16 AM
Old t-case:

New t-case:

Still pulls hard right.