Limp Mode

Yes, this was all warranty work.

How was yours driving when it happened to you?

Mine happened because of an ESP error. I was on a road trip from Los Angeles to St. Louis. I hit a wind storm that just tossed me around like a beach ball and the computer didn't like it.

It was driving like it was being choked. Just a total lack of power. MPGs went way down too.

Voodoo Actual

They won't offer a loaner?

No.

The dealer has acknowledged this is because of their work and they will not take my vehicle until they decide what to do.

If the engine were to let go because of this, does this place the liability with them?

Mine happened because of an ESP error. I was on a road trip from Los Angeles to St. Louis. I hit a wind storm that just tossed me around like a beach ball and the computer didn't like it.

It was driving like it was being choked. Just a total lack of power. MPGs went way down too.

Sounds about right. Mine just has a different code. It's a "permanent" code - in guessing the dealer has to take care of that.

Last edited:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
No.

The dealer has acknowledged this is because of their work and they will not take my vehicle until they decide what to do.

If the engine were to let go because of this, does this place the liability with them?

Sounds about right. Mine just has a different code. It's a "permanent" code - in guessing the dealer has to take care of that.

I would say so.
And to much tequila and I go into limp mode.

hydrohut

I'd be wanting them to explain how that silicon got on the end of the dip stick and a reassurance from them that no more of that stuff is inside the crankcase/cyl heads etc. That is not a good look.

Voodoo Actual

I'd be wanting them to explain how that silicon got on the end of the dip stick and a reassurance from them that no more of that stuff is inside the crankcase/cyl heads etc. That is not a good look.

The dealer said its from when their techs last had the engine apart and used silicone to seal the oil pan. They must of used an absurd amount and been careless.

There are new codes every time the ignition turns over - I think the engine has to be disassembled to get the silicone out of it. It's not a radiator - they can't back flush it. In pretty sure one of the sensors is damaged....at least.

According to the oil pressure gage, sometimes, after its started the oil pressure stays at a solid 99. While other times it varies between mid 60's and about 90. 99 must be when it's more plugged up.

USMCvet

Banned
There's one sure way to get results, take all of your documentation to a lemon law attorney and have them fire off some correspondence to the dealer and Chrysler's regional rep. It may piss the dealership off - so be it - but as sure as I sit here it will be taken care of in short order. They know the next thing that follows is a lemon law suit. I would even bet you get a loaner for the duration of the repair. The repair may consist of a tear down or a complete service replacement engine depending. If there's resistance however, then this could be a long drawn out process and involve litigation. You pay no money out of pocket and if you don't succeed there's no cost. If you prevail, the attorney takes a set amount. I've been down this road with a vehicle, dealership, and manufacture. It was worth it and I prevailed, but it took time because the California dealership filed bankruptcy right after my judgment, I then had to go after the manufacture. It all worked out in the end.

Voodoo Actual

There's one sure way to get results, take all of your documentation to a lemon law attorney and have them fire off some correspondence to the dealer and Chrysler's regional rep. It may piss the dealership off - so be it - but as sure as I sit here it will be taken care of in short order. They know the next thing that follows is a lemon law suit. I would even bet you get a loaner for the duration of the repair. The repair may consist of a tear down or a complete service replacement engine depending. If there's resistance however, then this could be a long drawn out process and involve litigation. You pay no money out of pocket and if you don't succeed there's no cost. If you prevail, the attorney takes a set amount. I've been down this road with a vehicle, dealership, and manufacture. It was worth it and I prevailed, but it took time because the California dealership filed bankruptcy right after my judgment, I then had to go after the manufacture. It all worked out in the end.

I'll have to sit down with a local attorney next week on a day off.

The dealer doesn't seem to care. Chrysler resolution offered me $3k to "settle" and avoid a lawsuit. That's a laughable amount. My vehicle had spent 150 days in the shop and it's never been fixed. It now has 35k miles on it - half of which are from the dealer driving around trying to diagnose it.

The whole thing is stupid and I don't think anyone has the time for it.

Exodus 4x4

So....

My transfer case, dynamic sensor (TC), and oil pressure circuit switch are being replaced.

This is classic dealership bullshit and just goes to show you how useless most dealer "mechanics" are these days. At least you have everything documented for the inevitable engine failure that will follow.

Voodoo Actual

This is classic dealership bullshit and just goes to show you how useless most dealer "mechanics" are these days. At least you have everything documented for the inevitable engine failure that will follow.

I know. The whole thing is absurd.

I asked if their techs have ever had a drivers license before, ever. They said that wasn't the point. I said, well, that really is the point.

jeeeep

Hooked
what about the silicon on the dip stick? to me that means there's a very big chance there is silicon traveling through the engine just waiting to cause more damage.

Voodoo Actual

what about the silicon on the dip stick? to me that means there's a very big chance there is silicon traveling through the engine just waiting to cause more damage.

Agreed.

They acknowledged that and brought this up with some super duper Chrysler technician. Who apparently denied the request to disassemble the engine to clean it up.

Exodus 4x4

I would start getting employee numbers, not just names, every time one of these idiots mutters a word. I hate to say it but I think you're going to need it.

I don't know about you, but it's even more frustrating when I know I could tear down and rebuild that engine better than the moron at the dealership and he's telling me what's going to happen based on his "vast" experience and knowledge.

Voodoo Actual

I would start getting employee numbers, not just names, every time one of these idiots mutters a word. I hate to say it but I think you're going to need it.

I don't know about you, but it's even more frustrating when I know I could tear down and rebuild that engine better than the moron at the dealership and he's telling me what's going to happen based on his "vast" experience and knowledge.

The whole thing is really...odd. The amount of resources they've used up on this and now coming up on 200 days of shop time. It's just odd.

I won't be able to sell this Jeep for any real money either with its service history.

I test drove a new 2 dr manual the other day - if I could do it again, I'd really consider that.

Last edited:

spinuck

Arent there "lemon laws" for stuff like this? Luckily I've never had to look into it, but aren't there consumer protection laws that would help you? either way, good luck, hope you get your Jeep fully and properly operating again.

USMCvet

Banned
I'll have to sit down with a local attorney next week on a day off.

The dealer doesn't seem to care. Chrysler resolution offered me $3k to "settle" and avoid a lawsuit. That's a laughable amount. My vehicle had spent 150 days in the shop and it's never been fixed. It now has 35k miles on it - half of which are from the dealer driving around trying to diagnose it.

The whole thing is stupid and I don't think anyone has the time for it.

If they want to settle, then obviously there's a lemon law case. I'd cease any communication with anyone but a competent lemon law attorney.

Top Bottom