Question about axle shafts and King rear bump stops

JaySC

Had a couple of questions about potential mods I was thinking of. How necessary are front axle shafts when running 37's? I'm saving for PR 60's but don't know how long that will be...in the meantime, I'd like to wheel (moderate, not heavy) without having to worry about breaking an axle shaft. I've gone out a few times over the last year or so and haven't broken an axle shaft...yet.

Also, I plan on getting the front King bump stops and I've read from other posts that the rear isn't all that necessary. Any opinions?? Thanks!

JaySC

Question answered....I spoke with Jake at ORE, and he cleared up my questions. Didn't oversell either...love that shop.

MTG

Caught the Bug
JaySC said:
Question answered....I spoke with Jake at ORE, and he cleared up my questions. Didn't oversell either...love that shop.

Share the wealth!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Had a couple of questions about potential mods I was thinking of. How necessary are front axle shafts when running 37's? I'm saving for PR 60's but don't know how long that will be...in the meantime, I'd like to wheel (moderate, not heavy) without having to worry about breaking an axle shaft. I've gone out a few times over the last year or so and haven't broken an axle shaft...yet.

assuming you've got a rubicon, i would just wheel what you've got and replace your shafts as needed. if anything, you'll more than likely break a driver side shaft at the u-joint. that happend to us after a month of wheeling up in tahoe. when that happend, we just replaced the one shaft. most any basic chromoly shaft will do the trick well so long as it comes with full circle clips.

Also, I plan on getting the front King bump stops and I've read from other posts that the rear isn't all that necessary. Any opinions?? Thanks!

the rears are as necessary but, depending on how hard and fast you drive, you'll want a set there as well.

LOL!! or that :crazyeyes::D

JaySC

Thanks Eddie...you all definitely have a lot more experience than I do, so I appreciate all the advice. I do my fair share of wheeling, but nothing like you guys do...in fact, I would probably stain my shorts lol (figuratively, of course).

Jake pretty much said what Eddie just mentioned...to replace the axle shafts as needed and not to spend unnecessary $$$ if I didn't need to. He explained what causes an axle shaft to break and said that a chromoly shaft can also be subject to the same type of twisting, depending on the type of wheeling (forgive me if I bunk up the details...Jake shared a wealth of information). He suggested that I just save up for a PR 60 as I do plan on upgrading to 40's one day, unless Fiat comes out with a beast of a jeep, in which case I'd be pissed for spending all that money.

As for the rear bumpstops, I am going to go ahead and get them. I have bottomed out several times, so I think it would be nice to have.

Hightower

Eddie just to clarify you think the front bumps are a good idea but the rears are more dependent on driving style? I can’t remember did you guys take off your bumps when you went DTD?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie just to clarify you think the front bumps are a good idea but the rears are more dependent on driving style?

With the weight of your engine and it being first to hit, your front end will take a lot more abuse than the rear. Air bumps aren't really even needed at all but if you drive hard and fast, I would recommend at least a set up front. If you're loaded down and drive really hard and fast, rears are something I'd get too.

I can’t remember did you guys take off your bumps when you went DTD?

Yes, we removed our front set when we went DTD as you can set the 3rd bypass to act like an air bump. We kept them though and will have EVO install them in the rear. We load up with a ton of gear and they should help when trying to keep up with Mel. :crazyeyes:

Hightower

With the weight of your engine and it being first to hit, your front end will take a lot more abuse than the rear. Air bumps aren't really even needed at all but if you drive hard and fast, I would recommend at least a set up front. If you're loaded down and drive really hard and fast, rears are something I'd get too.

Yes, we removed our front set when we went DTD as you can set the 3rd bypass to act like an air bump. We kept them though and will have EVO install them in the rear. We load up with a ton of gear and they should help when trying to keep up with Mel. :crazyeyes:

Thx.:thumb: I am thinking of doing bumps and putting off DTD for awhile $$$. :grayno: It never ends brother.. lol:yup:

Top Bottom