Newbie Pleading for help or a nudge in the right direction.

Donny

Ok...I am honestly frustrated. I bought a 2013 JKU sport with 3.73, power locks, windows, max tow,…I have been trying to find out what I need to modify in order to wheel all of the trails here in Arizona. The easy, moderate, and difficult rating doesn’t tell me how much lift, wheel size, do I need a winch, and all of the other mods.

Minimum mods to deal with Arizona’s Difficult trails and Moab since it is so close.

The wife and I would like to progressively get to the bigger and more difficult trials here in the west. So a good LIFT and tire size to start with that I can upgrade as I get more experience. Not looking to go fast, BAJA Stuff, just the super scenic trails that present an adrenaline challenge!
So anyone willing to throw out some help I am all ears. :idontknow:

Donny
Phoenix, AZ

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
honestly, the easy and moderate stuff out in your neck of the woods can be done stock. i would highly recommend that you install a set of good rocker guards if you don't have them already and tow points both front and rear but that's about it. if you want to play on the harder stuff out there, at bare minimum, i would recommend that you install about 3" of lift and run 35" tires. that'll get you going on most anything out there. 4" of lift and 37's will make things easier but, at that point, you're looking at a lot more money to do it right. the crazy hard stuff out in AZ will get you wanting to run 40's but, that's a totally different animal altogether.

so, the real question you should be asking is, how much of a budget do you have to work with?

Donny

I am able to throw $3500-4000.00 at mods right this minute...then I roll into a save and buy as we go...

So if I put a 3" lift on myself (which one would be modular that I could add to in order to get more lift instead of buying a whole new lift) and get tires and wheels (better brand and min/max backspace?)

Rocker guards with a step area any good? Wife feels if we get the lift that she needs a step :(
I told her it defeats the purpose of the guard sliding and they would probably get shaved off by the rocks at some point....

Donny

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am able to throw $3500-4000.00 at mods right this minute...then I roll into a save and buy as we go...

So if I put a 3" lift on myself (which one would be modular that I could add to in order to get more lift instead of buying a whole new lift) and get tires and wheels (better brand and min/max backspace?)

Rocker guards with a step area any good? Wife feels if we get the lift that she needs a step :(
I told her it defeats the purpose of the guard sliding and they would probably get shaved off by the rocks at some point....

Donny

is it safe to assume that your budget includes wheels and tires? if so, you might want to consider just getting tires and running wheel spacers as that will save you quite a bit.

regarding lifts, you can even install a 2.5" coil lift as most will end up yielding 3" or more anyway or, if you need to save more for things like rocker guards, i would recommend just installing a budget boost for now and trimming your fenders. that'll get you clearing 35's with ease too.

as far as rocker guards with a step go, i would recommend the LoD as they will do that well and will work great too. here are a few write-ups that will help you out:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...er-25-budget-boost-lift-installation-write-up
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...er-long-travel-lift-kit-installation-write-up
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...ure-series-rock-sliders-installation-write-up

Big-T

Donny

If your interested I have for sale a 2.5 / 3" lift. Springs, shocks, sway bar ext. and x5 315/70-17(34.5"x17) bfgs A/t's on black M8 wheels(4.5 bs) kits is less than a yr old tires/ wheels have less than 5k on them spare is new. These parts came off a 2110 JK Rubicon unlimited. These parts might help you get started if I can help, send me a PM if your interested. Good luck on your project.

Donny

Thanks for all the feedback guys....

So the next question I have is what 35" tire will work on my stock rims with a 3" lift? What else would I have to do mod wise?

OR

Am I just better off buying someones used/new rubicon tires and just running them under a 2.5" BB until I flesh out the rock slides, front bumper&winch, back bumper&tire carrier that will hold up to a 37-40, and all the other dodads needed then pull the trigger on a lift and tires at the end?

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Donny

Toooo Many choices I need a :beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the feedback guys....

So the next question I have is what 35" tire will work on my stock rims with a 3" lift? What else would I have to do mod wise?

OR

Am I just better off buying someones used/new rubicon tires and just running them under a 2.5" BB until I flesh out the rock slides, front bumper&winch, back bumper&tire carrier that will hold up to a 37-40, and all the other dodads needed then pull the trigger on a lift and tires at the end?

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Donny

Toooo Many choices I need a :beer:

you can run any 35x12.50 tire so long as you run 1.5" wheel spacers with them. i've run this setup several times and it works great.

Donny

Would I need a new Drive shaft with the 2.5 BB or the OME 3" kit or any 3" kit for that matter?

Thoughts on this list????????????

35X12.5X17 Nittos (anything better for here in AZ? Will a 35" fit on my stock holder?)
Spacers (1.5's)
Teraflex 2.5" BB
Bushwacker Fenders (Good Bad? Opinions everyone)
LoD Rocker Guards.

Missing anything that will cause me grief?

Donny

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Rule of thumb (I believe) is over 3" lift you will need new driveshafts. But I'm sure the stock ones can ware out with the BB kit. You can run your stock shafts until they break but just be prepared to replace them when they break and hopefully you won't be out on the trail.

That said you will be fine for the time being with your stock shafts with either kit.

Donny

Why does the drive shaft break and not the muffler?

I see mufflers hanging by coat hangers all across this great land. My luck I buy the one automobile that has the indeeeeeestructable exhaust system that breaks driveshafts.....

Donny

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why does the drive shaft break and not the muffler?

I see mufflers hanging by coat hangers all across this great land. My luck I buy the one automobile that has the indeeeeeestructable exhaust system that breaks driveshafts.....

Donny

your factory drive shaft has a plastic boot that helps keep grease inside the slip shaft. this plastic boot will tear off on the exhaust cross over if you have too much droop. of course, this is really the least of your problems. with the increase in height, you will also have an increase in angle in your shaft and this will put your cv boot in a constant state of pinch. over time, this will cause the boot to fail and that will lead to the bearings inside to fail as well. there's a lot more going on here than you realize and if you just take some time to give things a look, you'll see what i mean.

Donny

your factory drive shaft has a plastic boot that helps keep grease inside the slip shaft. this plastic boot will tear off on the exhaust cross over if you have too much droop. of course, this is really the least of your problems. with the increase in height, you will also have an increase in angle in your shaft and this will put your cv boot in a constant state of pinch. over time, this will cause the boot to fail and that will lead to the bearings inside to fail as well. there's a lot more going on here than you realize and if you just take some time to give things a look, you'll see what i mean.

Thanks Eddie...I'm just trying to make sure I buy the right setup to get started and I don't want to miss anything that affect another item or cause any further issues down the road... I put together a small list above that I think will cover my first steps what do you think?

Donny

I think I see the forest....but all these trees are in the way:icon_crazy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie...I'm just trying to make sure I buy the right setup to get started and I don't want to miss anything that affect another item or cause any further issues down the road... I put together a small list above that I think will cover my first steps what do you think?

Donny

I think I see the forest....but all these trees are in the way:icon_crazy:

35X12.5X17 Nittos (anything better for here in AZ? Will a 35" fit on my stock holder?)
Spacers (1.5's)
Teraflex 2.5" BB
Bushwacker Fenders (Good Bad? Opinions everyone)
LoD Rocker Guards.

bushwacker fenders are nice and this setup will get you going. depending on what shocks you go with, you may or may not need to upgrade your front drive shaft. if you go with shock extensions, you can get by with the factory shaft.

Donny

Outstanding! Thank you and everyone else for being so patient and helping me through this:blush: I'm sure I will have many more questions as I go but just wanted to say thank you.

Donny

How much are used Dana44's from a rubicon that will fit my 2013? :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Outstanding! Thank you and everyone else for being so patient and helping me through this:blush: I'm sure I will have many more questions as I go but just wanted to say thank you.

Donny

How much are used Dana44's from a rubicon that will fit my 2013? :)

any 2007-13 rubicon dana 44 will fit and you should be able to pick one up for about $1,000-$1,200 tops. if it's been pretty used, i'd say $800 or less. anything more than that and i might recommend that you just save up for a much better dynatrack prorock 44.

Prime8

If I was you, I'd save the $500+ you'd spend on the bushwackers and just chop your current flares. It's free and there's a good write up over on Project JK. I intend to chop mine soon. That will allow you to get more of the performance/functionality mods done now, and you can save up for the snazzy flares later.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

NY1982JK

Thanks Donny for posting this up. Just picked up my 13 JKU Sport the other day and have been trying to decide on the same thing. Thanks everyone for the help!:thumb:

Donny

Gearing question then----- It seems like I need to regear for optimum performance if I go to 35's. Am I reading the table in the newbie FAQ area correctly? Chart says 4.88 and that would still get me into 37's later.

Donny

Last edited:
Top Bottom