PDA

View Full Version : A little lift

Old Dude
11-13-2012, 08:41 PM
I had a couple of BDS 2 front spring spacers http://bds-suspension.com/ that I got from one of our members ($30.00) laying around and decided it was time to get them installed. I made a trip to my local 4WD store and asked about installation, I laughed all the way back to my Jeep! So what was I to do? The Only one answer was, to do it myself. Now lets consider this, Im a 64 year old man that has had two heart attacks, bad knees, and sits on his butt all day at work in front of a computer.

I had read the instructions, downloaded the pdf files, and watched all the videos. I must have installed the spacers at least a hundred times in my head. Thinking the whole time, whats the worst that could happen?

So, with the attitude of, Im not as good as I once was, but Im as good once, as I ever was I jumped in! I have a $20.00 floor jack and a couple of jack stands. I had only a few metric wrenches, no sockets, and no help.

Sound like a train wreck? I know, but, it couldnt have gone better. This was one of the easiest things I have ever done. Everything just seemed to go my way. I actually found myself saying slow down. Not going to tell you I didnt break a sweat. Not going to tell you I didnt bark a finger. But it went WAY better than I had anticipated.

My tool list:
Floor jack (cheap, on hand)
Jack stands (cheaper, on hand)
18mm Combination end wrench (on hand)
10mm Combination end wrench (on hand)
10 Crescent wrench (on hand)
Big screwdriver (on hand)
3 - 1X6X24 pine boards (cheap jacks dont lift very high)
2 Bud lights (on hand as a reward for getting it done)
That is it, total!

It took me about four hours start to finish. So if youve been thinking about a spacer lift, go for it! If I can get it done in this time frame Im sure most could get the job done with ease. You dont need a lot of tools. I must admit that sockets and an air drive ratchet would have been faster and nicer. But, this was my time with the JK, I wasnt in a hurry, and we had a good time! My JK looks better and I saved a bunch of money. In fact I saved enough money to buy a nice tool set! Go ahead, jump in!

gtony12
11-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Nice I am looking at a 2" myself!! Thanks for the info!

wayoflife
11-13-2012, 09:06 PM
awesome post!! glad to hear you were able to jump in and do this on your own :thumb:

OverlanderJK
11-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Nice info! I plan on doing this after the first of the year.

Trail Bud
11-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Great story.
I do the same with the $ I saved. Reinvest it!

Jersey_Devil
11-13-2012, 09:55 PM
And when doing it urself there's more satisfaction in it!

ProfessionalDriver
11-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Great story! Glad to hear it all panned out! :cool:

JKAnimal
11-13-2012, 11:46 PM
You need an "Old Guys Rock!" shirt after that! :rock:

Thanks for that post for sure! That's awesome!

RockyJk
11-14-2012, 12:47 AM
Awesome glad to hear you got em on (i sold em to you lol)

Robar
11-14-2012, 01:19 AM
Cool post. It always gives a lot of satisfaction and sense of accomplishment when you do it yourself. :thumb:

mcpuck
11-14-2012, 01:35 AM
This post is an inspiration to all of us. :rock: I must admit when I read what you wrote, "But, this was my time with the JK, I wasnt in a hurry, and we had a good time!" made me think ... I have been there. Some of my best times with my Jeep is just her and I in the garage, slowly examining and wrenching. :yup:
Thanks for sharing this great story.

StrizzyChris
11-14-2012, 02:54 AM
Some of my best times with my Jeep is just her and I in the garage, slowly examining and wrenching.

So true. I love to just lay under it and just look for little signs of problems and fix them(with a new upgraded wallet busting part of course)

MTG
11-14-2012, 02:57 AM
Fantastic story! :rock: Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad Sharkey convinced me we could do my mods, including my lift. So much fun.

FoxC
11-14-2012, 04:16 AM
Age is all in the mind...well, mostly.
It's like the last trail we were on and meeting up with a retired couple in their 60's ( maybe older) out wheelin the crap out of their 2dr rubi...absolutely awsome!:rock:

kaptkrappy
11-14-2012, 01:32 PM
:worthless:

You know what they say, it didn't happen if there aren't pictures.

You need an "Old Guys Rock!" shirt after that! :rock:

Thanks for that post for sure! That's awesome!

Linebacker
11-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Kudos on the self mod! A new gearhead is born!:rock:

Old Dude
11-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Thank you all so much. I will try to post some pictures. Nothing has fallen off and it rides like it always did. It just isn't much to look at, YET!