Teraflex 2.5" Budget Boost on 2dr New Driveshafts?

bpack325

All,

I recently purchased the Teraflex 2.5" Budget Boost for my 2014 2dr Sport. From my searches it appears 2drs in particular start to require new driveshafts with even modest lifts, so before I go about having this installed will I absolutely need to install new shafts with it? It will be running with Duratracs in 255/75/17 and Ultra "Bolt" wheels in 17x8" and 4.88" backspacing as well. No real plans to add anything bigger down the road.

Ah2014jk

Will you absolutely need them..... No

Will you cause more stress to the stock shafts which may cause them to wear out sooner ...... Yes

If you plan to be offroad then you should at the very least spend the $40 and get exhaust spacers for some extra room or will probably run the driveshaft on the exhaust.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
It is not immediately needed however, the angle that the BB puts your drive shafts in pinches the rubber boots causing them to fail prematurely. This could take a while so my recommendation is to run what you have, inspect your drive shafts regularly and save for an upgrade later on.

bpack325

Ok, so new driveshafts are pretty much a requirement even with the spacer lift. Are there any other components to consider before I go through with it? What shafts are recommended?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ok, so new driveshafts are pretty much a requirement even with the spacer lift. Are there any other components to consider before I go through with it? What shafts are recommended?

Is it a spacer lift or coils? If it's coils you should probably get front lower control arms and rear upper control arms because you will net a lot more then 2.5" of lift.

bpack325

Strictly a spacer lift, as I understand it with this type and reusing my existing shocks that should net a true 2.5" difference

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Strictly a spacer lift, as I understand it with this type and reusing my existing shocks that should net a true 2.5" difference

Being that you just have a spacer lift and are using shock extensions, you will NOT need new shafts. You only need a new front one IF you are running new shocks that allow for too much droop. You only need a new rear one IF you are sitting at over 3" of lift and only because your cv joints will fail prematurely - you won't need the rear shaft until this happens and that can still be a while.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Will you cause more stress to the stock shafts which may cause them to wear out sooner ...... Yes

If you plan to be offroad then you should at the very least spend the $40 and get exhaust spacers for some extra room or will probably run the driveshaft on the exhaust.

This is not correct. The factory shafts are actually very strong and stronger than an aftermarket 1310 drive shaft. IF you have 3" of lift or more, the rear cv boots will be in a constant state of pinch and THAT will cause them to fail sooner than later. This will in turn cause the bearings inside the rzeppa joints to fail - "stress" has nothing to do with anything. Up front, IF you are running shocks that are too long, this will cause your slip shaft boot to tear when it makes contact with the exhaust cross over. However, IF you are running 3" of lift or more, EVEN IF you install exhaust spacers, your cv boot will still be in a constant state of pinch and that will cause it to fail sooner than later too.

bpack325

... you will NOT need new shafts.

Outstanding news! I ordered the kit with shock extensions so I will be reusing the stock ones on my Sport. I was hoping the height would be under the threshold where I'd really need to go deep with more components. Thanks everyone.

bpack325

Teraflex also says I need their exhaust spacer kit to go in conjunction with this, before I order is this true or is it just to get me to buy more stuff? That was by phone, I later looked at their online FAQ which said it wouldn't be required, so just to be clear, which route to I go on that?

Additionally, the website says the kit requires backspacing of 4.5" or less else spacers are needed. Mine are 4.88" according to Tire Rack's specs. I originally ordered this through Quadratec which did not include this handy information, just a mention that OE wheels would need spacers.

Am I screwed here? This project was somewhat of an impulse buy, I'm not a hardcore off-roader just wanted to be like the cool kids and add a nice look to go with the aftermarket bumper I plan to put on. I'm seeing now that I haven't done the due diligence in the research.

So, to recap:

- Driveshafts = no
- Exhaust Spacers = Maybe?
- Wheel Spacers = Maybe?

Last edited:
Top Bottom