EVO rock star skids

It will depend on the compressed length of your shocks and the amount of bump-stop you run. I run Rock Stars with 2" bump and didn't need to relocate the upper.

You should be able to work out the need with a tape measure. Also, make sure your coils have enough length in them from the added droop. My Matalcloak coils are close and there is no way they will work with the wife's Synergy coils without adding spring retainers.

CrazyLarry

It will depend on the compressed length of your shocks and the amount of bump-stop you run. I run Rock Stars with 2" bump and didn't need to relocate the upper.

You should be able to work out the need with a tape measure. Also, make sure your coils have enough length in them from the added droop. My Matalcloak coils are close and there is no way they will work with the wife's Synergy coils without adding spring retainers.

Curious what is the collapsed length of your shocks? The Evos raise the mounts 1.5" correct?

Curious what is the collapsed length of your shocks? The Evos raise the mounts 1.5" correct?

I have Bilstein 5160s (25-187649) They have a collapsed length of 16.12" and extend to 27.42" (11.3" travel). I'm really not sure of the amount the RS skids raise the lower shock mount. With 2" bump-stops I use all but about 1/8" of the shock travel. (In the rare instance I can load the rear springs enough.)

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer

that is correct. factory shock mounting holes are 15'' at full bump. if 2'' bump stops are added you now have 17'' between mounting holes. moving lower mounting hole back up 1.5'' puts a person at 15.5'' of mounting holes at full bump. shocks longer than 15.5'' and you'll be using your shocks as bump stops.

Last edited:
that is correct. factory mounting holes are 15'' at full bump. if 2'' bump stops are added you now have 17'' between mounting holes. moving lower mounting hole back up 1.5'' puts a person at 15.5'' of mounting holes at full bump. shocks longer than 15.5'' and you'll be using your shocks as bump stops.

The problem I see with this is that the shock is not mounted completely vertical. Since the axle moves on an arc and the shocks are mounted at an angle greater than the arc of axle swing ther is a bit more math involved to work out the usable travel and required bump. As much as an engineer nerd as I am, I just stuffed the tire with a fork truck until the shock was compressed almost completely. Then measured the distance the distance between the bump holder and axle plate with a tape measure. In my case, it was just over 2" but I thought the rubber bump wouldn't squish completely so I opted for 2". So far, this was worked.

olram30

The problem I see with this is that the shock is not mounted completely vertical. Since the axle moves on an arc and the shocks are mounted at an angle greater than the arc of axle swing ther is a bit more math involved to work out the usable travel and required bump. As much as an engineer nerd as I am, I just stuffed the tire with a fork truck until the shock was compressed almost completely. Then measured the distance the distance between the bump holder and axle plate with a tape measure. In my case, it was just over 2" but I thought the rubber bump wouldn't squish completely so I opted for 2". So far, this was worked.

So let's say you took out your springs and foam stops. Put the tires back on and set the jeep on the ground at absolute full bump. You're telling me your shocks would bolt right up?
Simple math really. You are back to 15.5" with rock stars and 2" bump stops.
I'm using rock stars and factory shocks on our white jeep. Problem is I need to find or make 1.5" bump stops to get back to factory specs.
I wanted to use them on my jeep, but my shocks are .5" too long.

olram30

Besides, 2" bump stops and 37" tires isn't the best way. Tires hit sheet metal and requires way too much cutting for me.

So let's say you took out your springs and foam stops. Put the tires back on and set the jeep on the ground at absolute full bump. You're telling me your shocks would bolt right up?

With the foam bump out I would miss it by about 1/4"... With foam in, no problem. Even with the rear supported entirely by one side the foam had about 3/8" left to it.

Besides, 2" bump stops and 37" tires isn't the best way. Tires hit sheet metal and requires way too much cutting for me.

I lengthened my arms about 1/2" to recenter the axle in the hole. I had to trim some front and rear but it really wasn't that bad.

Spudcannons

I'm using the bilsteins that evo sells with their long arm kit. Any idea if the would work? 35" tires and matching bumps from evo

olram30

With the foam bump out I would miss it by about 1/4"... With foam in, no problem. Even with the rear supported entirely by one side the foam had about 3/8" left to it.

I lengthened my arms about 1/2" to recenter the axle in the hole. I had to trim some front and rear but it really wasn't that bad.

I still don't see how you gained that extra inch with 2"bump stops going back up 1.5" with rock stars. But I guess we'll agree to disagree.

I still don't see how you gained that extra inch with 2"bump stops going back up 1.5" with rock stars. But I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Its because the shock is on the hypotenuse of the triangle. There is not a 1:1 relationship in bump height and shock travel distance.

But as I mentioned I didn't do math... I just used a tape measure at full stuff and shared what I found and run. I left the o-ring on the shock shaft and am sure I have never bottomed out my shock.

No worries ;) :thumb:

olram30

Any way to figure out the shock length? Any ideas on cycling the suspension without a lift of nice size rock?

Look for a rock, loading ramp anything you can get as much stuff as you can. Besides math, here I found a rock and used a tape measure. I measured from the bottom of the metal cup to the top of the bump stop. Then measured remaining shaft. I have the exact same measurement on both. And looking at the dust ring I'm using all available shock travel.

Attachments

• 1431446782790.jpg
    1431446782790.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 1431446791480.jpg
    1431446791480.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 193
  • 1431446799612.jpg
    1431446799612.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 192

DA RUNT

Look for a rock, loading ramp anything you can get as much stuff as you can. Besides math, here I found a rock and used a tape measure. I measured from the bottom of the metal cup to the top of the bump stop. Then measured remaining shaft. I have the exact same measurement on both. And looking at the dust ring I'm using all available shock travel.

You have me curious about this, now I have to go measure.

Cadima

I just pulled the rear springs off and cycled my suspension last night. I fully stuffed one side of the rear and scribed a line on my shock to note where it stood. I then removed the shock from the lower mounted and measured how much more room it had to collapse. It measured out to be very close to what the rock star skids claim to move the shock mount up. I have metal cloak coils and OME shocks. Out of the exercise I concluded this much:

1) With the rock stars it will be close. I suggest you cycle your suspension if you install these and confirm for yourself on your own rig.
2) worst case, I may have to add a 1/4" to my bump stops but wont know till I do the install due to the angle of the shocks and uncertainty on where they actually end up.
3) It would gladly accept a bit less stuff for an extra inch or so of droop I would gain with the rock stars because my rear never seems to stuff all the way anyway during crawling. It takes more of an impact to squeeze it to full stuff.

Top Bottom