EVO rock star skids

rear never seems to stuff all the way anyway during crawling. It takes more of an impact to squeeze it to full stuff.

Amen to this! I have full stuffed the rear twice (that I know of). Once I have headed up on a tall climb and the line I took put one of my rear tires on a large rock. The bottom line was most of the weight of my rig was on one of the rear tires. The other was on an RTI ramp that I backed onto.

I have carried opposite corners several times and the MC spring rate will easily hold the weight of a semi-light rig without going solid (far from it in fact). As mentioned earlier I run 2" of bump and almost always have an inch or so of dust on the shaft after wheeling. :crazyeyes:

CJW

So quick question on these since I'm reading conflicting things online: Do the rockstars move the shock mount up 1.5" or 2" ?

jedg

So quick question on these since I'm reading conflicting things online: Do the rockstars move the shock mount up 1.5" or 2" ?

Straight from EVO's site (http://www.offroadevolution.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=EVO-1038)

This kit raises the rear lower shock location approximately 1.5”. It is recommended that you cycle your suspension before and after installation and check for travel and interference issues. This kit requires cutting and grinding. This kit may require new (shorter) rear swaybar endlinks and/or coil spring retainers.

Cadima

Straight from EVO's site (http://www.offroadevolution.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=EVO-1038)

This kit raises the rear lower shock location approximately 1.5”. It is recommended that you cycle your suspension before and after installation and check for travel and interference issues. This kit requires cutting and grinding. This kit may require new (shorter) rear swaybar endlinks and/or coil spring retainers.

If you read the entire page it claims 1.5" in one spot and 2" at another.

These rear lower control arm skids with shock relocation bracket built in will give you 1.5 inches of increased ground clearance under the lower control arm and raise the lower shock mount 2 inches for max articulation.

• Bolt on
• Laser Cut, CNC Bent 3/16 Steel Plate
• Adds 1.5" of much needed ground clearance
• Allows for maximum use of shock travel under articulation
• Fully boxed skid on bottom
• Powercoated Black
• Proudly Made in the USA

Note:

Cadima

My question is the reference to shorter end links. Why? To limit droop instead of the shocks? I was thinking the opposite, adding in slightly longer links so I dont taco my sway bar with more droop.

From the website:

Note:

jedg

If you read the entire page it claims 1.5" in one spot and 2" at another.

These rear lower control arm skids with shock relocation bracket built in will give you 1.5 inches of increased ground clearance under the lower control arm and raise the lower shock mount 2 inches for max articulation.

• Bolt on
• Laser Cut, CNC Bent 3/16 Steel Plate
• Adds 1.5" of much needed ground clearance
• Allows for maximum use of shock travel under articulation
• Fully boxed skid on bottom
• Powercoated Black
• Proudly Made in the USA

Note:

eyup... sure did and you've bolded the part of what's important. You should have kept going through the part where it recommends that you cycle your suspension and see for yourself.

jedg

My question is the reference to shorter end links. Why? To limit droop instead of the shocks? I was thinking the opposite, adding in slightly longer links so I dont taco my sway bar with more droop.

From the website:

Note:

A quick read of the install instructions - Reinstall rear swaybar link into its new location on the Rock Star and into theswaybar. Verify swaybar links are correct length.

Cadima

Ok so why suggest the new links you may need would be shorter? As I understand it, I dont want my links to limit droop and dont want them to taco at full droop, yet they need to have room at full stuff. Right? So what conditions would lead to the need for shorter links if you are adding droop?

jedg

Ok so why suggest the new links you may need would be shorter? As I understand it, I dont want my links to limit droop and dont want them to taco at full droop, yet they need to have room at full stuff. Right? So what conditions would lead to the need for shorter links if you are adding droop?

Speculation on my part. If the link is higher on the axle side and you don't shorten it, then you risk pushing the rear sway bar too far up into the frame. Or, you with the link point raised, your rear is not no longer within the +- 5 deg parallel of the ground.

The Rockstars also raise the sway links some I believe. As with any change you should cycle to check everything. At full free droop the you do not want the link and bar to go straight. This could cause it to hyper-flex. The only issue with the rear sway bar swinging up higher is it could interfere with the brake lines.

Cadima

Yeah, thats what I understood. Maybe the web page was supposed to spec how much the shock mounts were raised and also how much the sway mount was raised. That could explain the 1.5" vs 2" numbers given. If anyone does know if and how much the links are raised, I'd love to get a number on that.

Yeah, thats what I understood. Maybe the web page was supposed to spec how much the shock mounts were raised and also how much the sway mount was raised. That could explain the 1.5" vs 2" numbers given. If anyone does know if and how much the links are raised, I'd love to get a number on that.

I have them but didn't pay a hill-of-beans attention to it before cutting it off. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it and just cycle the suspension to check everything. If you are that concerned I would call EVO.

CJW

If you read the entire page it claims 1.5" in one spot and 2" at another

^^^This is what I was referring too. It says different things on the website and I see conflicting info from people posting about them.

mds22

^^^This is what I was referring too. It says different things on the website and I see conflicting info from people posting about them.

When I installed mine last month, I got almost exactly 1.5" more ground clearance and my shock mounts were raise a little less than 2"

I'm helping with an install of these this weekend and will take some measurements. I've installed three sets. Honestly I've never really concerned myself with it before.

JKWrang

I just installed mine and didnt take measurements. I cut at 1.5" below the center of the hole and it was too little clearance, needed to shave a bit more.

The rockstars fit so tightly but they honestly make a world of difference on the trail.

Top Bottom