Another Oil leak...

mpc355

The other day I noticed a very very small oil spot on my garage floor right under my Jeep. I crawled underneath and noticed what you see in the attached picture. I stuck my finger in the hole without the rubber stopper and could feel oil as far as I could reach. I stopped by the dealership while at work, (driving company car),and showed the service adviser the picture. Service adviser stated he thought the Jeep needed a new oil pan and that the oil inside hole was due to a leak in the oil pan and when I was driving the wind forced that oil towards the rear and up into the hole. I asked him if there was a gasket that could be replaced instead of the oil pan, he said he didn't know. Then I told him that I had read online that it was possibly the rear main seal, he shook his head, shrugged his shoulders and said, "I don't know much about Jeeps, you'll have to bring it in."

Any way, my Jeep is a 2014 JKUR, it has just over 11,000 miles and a 2.5" lift with 35's. Without even asking about mods he assured me it was under warranty still. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the leak might be and what kind of issues people are having getting warranty work done after mods?

Thanks for taking a look and for your help. I am scheduled to drop the Jeep off Monday afternoon. I will keep everyone posted. IMAG0212_2.jpg

SteelBadger

The other day I noticed a very very small oil spot on my garage floor right under my Jeep. I crawled underneath and noticed what you see in the attached picture. I stuck my finger in the hole without the rubber stopper and could feel oil as far as I could reach. I stopped by the dealership while at work, (driving company car),and showed the service adviser the picture. Service adviser stated he thought the Jeep needed a new oil pan and that the oil inside hole was due to a leak in the oil pan and when I was driving the wind forced that oil towards the rear and up into the hole. I asked him if there was a gasket that could be replaced instead of the oil pan, he said he didn't know. Then I told him that I had read online that it was possibly the rear main seal, he shook his head, shrugged his shoulders and said, "I don't know much about Jeeps, you'll have to bring it in."

Any way, my Jeep is a 2014 JKUR, it has just over 11,000 miles and a 2.5" lift with 35's. Without even asking about mods he assured me it was under warranty still. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the leak might be and what kind of issues people are having getting warranty work done after mods?

Thanks for taking a look and for your help. I am scheduled to drop the Jeep off Monday afternoon. I will keep everyone posted. View attachment 143429

I have read that the 2014 JK's have an oil leak issue. Something about an oil filter adapter or something. All second hand info. Can someone else shed some light on this?

noroad

I have read that the 2014 JK's have an oil leak issue. Something about an oil filter adapter or something. All second hand info. Can someone else shed some light on this?

we have a 14 to and it leaks i though it was the new oil pan seal that we put on but now i have to double check.

JRied

Just posted this yesterday, thought it was the same rubber grommet hole but it seems to be way higher. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431814330.951597.jpg

mpc355

Just posted this yesterday, thought it was the same rubber grommet hole but it seems to be way higher. View attachment 143460

That looks like the exact same hole. I guessing you've got skid plates installed?

The leak isn't steady, as a matter of fact I haven't found any other oil drops on the floor. I think that hole allows a tech to observe the torque converter. I just don't understand how engine oil would end up several inches into that opening, kinda defies gravity... I've been keeping an eye on my oil level, there has been no noticeable change. Thanks again everyone for trying to help out.

JRied

Yes I have skids. And idk where mine is leaking from as well. It looks as if it's the bolt on either side about a foot up past those grommets. But it may be a higher leak that just accumulates there I have to check. People have said bell housing back seal is leaking. Idk honestly. When I hear from dealer I'll let you know. I'm still under warranty ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431815592.887436.jpg theres my skids and the furthest bolt up you can see is where I thought it was coming from

mpc355

Sounds good, thanks for your responses. I took a look at mine and can not find oil any higher that what is in the picture. It has to be coming from the rear main seal area. (or at least that's my guess.) I'm dropping it off tomorrow after work, so I would like to assume I'd know by mid week. I'll keep this thread updated.

mpc355

Dropped it off today, got a call from the service adviser. Turns out it is the rear main seal. If the seal is in stock, it should be fixed by tomorrow afternoon.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Dropped it off today, got a call from the service adviser. Turns out it is the rear main seal. If the seal is in stock, it should be fixed by tomorrow afternoon.

I was about to suggest as much until I got to this post. RMS leaking is common on ALL Jeeps (especially if they have an I-6) since the day they were made. Not as much of a problem on the JK's but, I have seen a few cases.

mpc355

So it wasn't the oil filter/cooler thing that is cracking on a bunch of the 14's? Interesting.

No,sure wasn't. I did the whole, "trace the leak up as high as you can" thing. The only traces of oil come from inside those two holes. I did ask about the oil cooler leaking though. The answer I got seemed pretty consistent with what I've found on the forum, as long as the oil filter cap isn't over tightened, a problem is less likely to occur.

mpc355

I was about to suggest as much until I got to this post. RMS leaking is common on ALL Jeeps (especially if they have an I-6) since the day they were made. Not as much of a problem on the JK's but, I have seen a few cases.

It's kinda funny, when I spoke to the first service adviser, (they guy who admitted he knew little about Jeeps), he swore Jeeps weren't known for having issues with rear main seal leaks. When I dropped my Jeep off yesterday I was greeted by a gentleman who identified himself as the "guy who takes care of Wranglers". I gave him the same information I gave the first guy and asked him what he thought. He said, pretty much the same thing you did, "Jeeps have always had the issue, not very common with JK's but it is not unheard of."

Now I just have to wait for the call to go pick it up, that's the hard part....

mpc355

I guess I got a little ahead of myself. Went to pick up the Jeep and it's not fixed. Apparently "rear main seal leaks on this model are very rare, therefore the seal is on national back order." At least I have my Jeep back though. The leak is small enough and slow enough that it shouldn't be a problem. Just wish I knew when the part would be available. Oh well...

jpone

I discovered this exact same leak on my 2012. Took it to the dealer and they claimed ignorance. They told me they could not tell where the leak was coming from. They cleaned it up and told me to come back later . . . I am guessing they just didn't want to do what I assume is a pretty involved repair and they know exactly what's up.

Thanks for the info.

JK_Epidimick

I discovered this exact same leak on my 2012. Took it to the dealer and they claimed ignorance. They told me they could not tell where the leak was coming from. They cleaned it up and told me to come back later . . . I am guessing they just didn't want to do what I assume is a pretty involved repair and they know exactly what's up.

Thanks for the info.

If it's a rear main then it's labor intensive. Remove trans and the seal is right there.

Top Bottom