Bumper Tow Rating

YJ_Tom

Hi all,

Quick question I'm looking to order a bumper in the next day or two. I've been looking at the LOD bumpers and want to confirm if they are tow rated? Northridge was under the impression they weren't but I could have sworn I saw they were. Of course their website doesn't mention it either.

I am also looking at the rock hard bumper. Their website says it has a class 2 hitch and I know I've seen their rep post it's rated for towing. I asked northridge though and they weren't sure if it was or not.

I can call the companies in the am to confirm. But I'm hoping to make a decision tonight. I'm driving my wife crazy researching and talking about bumpers.

I don't intend to tow much but the idea of putting a pop up on the back has its appeal.

Thanks,
Tom

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Hi all,

Quick question I'm looking to order a bumper in the next day or two. I've been looking at the LOD bumpers and want to confirm if they are tow rated? Northridge was under the impression they weren't but I could have sworn I saw they were. Of course their website doesn't mention it either.

I am also looking at the rock hard bumper. Their website says it has a class 2 hitch and I know I've seen their rep post it's rated for towing. I asked northridge though and they weren't sure if it was or not.

I can call the companies in the am to confirm. But I'm hoping to make a decision tonight. I'm driving my wife crazy researching and talking about bumpers.

I don't intend to tow much but the idea of putting a pop up on the back has its appeal.

Thanks,
Tom

Yep, most of the bumpers with tow hookups are rated...I don't know that I have heard of one that isn't.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It takes a lot of time and costs a lot of money to have a bumper "officially" tow rated and so most bumper manufactures do not specify a rating. Bumpers like LoD that tie into the cross member just like the factory hitch receiver are what I would stick with and I personally would feel comfortable towing with. Of course, there are some companies like PUREJEEP that allow you to install their bumper over the factory hitch receiver too.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
It takes a lot of time and costs a lot of money to have a bumper "officially" tow rated and so most bumper manufactures do not specify a rating. Bumpers like LoD that tie into the cross member just like the factory hitch receiver are what I would stick with and I personally would feel comfortable towing with. Of course, there are some companies like PUREJEEP that allow you to install their bumper over the factory hitch receiver too.

I should have been more specific, and Eddie is dead on here. Nobody really gets them truly rated, but as long as it's steel mounted on the frame you're likely safe. If you have some doubt, stick with something that retains the factory tow hitch as Eddie said. Of the bumpers I've tried or seen, they were all very sturdy with at least 3/16" steel mounted to the frame which should carry the factory load more than ok.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the replies. I actually ended up ordering the rock hard this morning.

For what it's worth, i had the rock hard bumper/tire carrier on my 07 2dr and hauled an m101a1 military trailer several times with it with zero issues. That's about as heavy a trailer as they come.

Top Bottom