looking for a Dusy/Rubicon Alternative (destination based multi day adventure)

Cole Trickle

We had a trip planned to run the Dusy July 25th and already have a group of people with time scheduled from work......

I wasn't in charge of the trip but after some investigation this morning it seems we missed out on the Dusy scheduled opening of August 1st. We were shifting on the fly and thinking rubicon but it's closed for the jeepers jamboree from July 22nd until August 1st.....crap

Are there any other multi day adventures at a location with beautiful hard to reach scenery? Being July we were thinking Sierra Nevadas so we can beat the heat of the lower elevation trails.

Any recommendations we should be looking at?

Our plan was to head out saturday 7/25 and spend a night in a hotel prior to dropping into a trail.

Cole Trickle

I'm looking for something a built Dj can drive through without body damage and then drive back home to so cal.

Basically a nice family adventure. I have no problem using and testing my jk but I'm not looking for buggy trails.

Basically something no harder than the Dusy.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did you check to see when the other Shaver Lake trails would be opening up? Most should be available sooner and they're just as nice and shorter in length. Swamp Lake is a nice alternative and typically opens in July.

Cole Trickle

Did you check to see when the other Shaver Lake trails would be opening up? Most should be available sooner and they're just as nice and shorter in length. Swamp Lake is a nice alternative and typically opens in July.

I haven't checked...on the website it shows closed but I haven't called for an actual open date yet.

Were looking for something off the beaten path. Not sure a day trail is what we are after. Would love to find a nice quiet lake off the beaten path like something on the Dusy.

I knew you and your website would have some great recommendations.:cool:

MarkW13

I haven't checked...on the website it shows closed but I haven't called for an actual open date yet.

Were looking for something off the beaten path. Not sure a day trail is what we are after. Would love to find a nice quiet lake off the beaten path like something on the Dusy.

Look at the Fresno 4wd club website. They have a list of trails and opening dates.

http://www.4wdcfresno.net/2015/index.php

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I'm not sure I'm following you. While Swamp Lake can be done in a day, there's no reason why you can camp down by the lake and make it into a multi-day trip. Of course, same could be said of Coyote Lake or, you can wheel the trail and camp at one of the many great campgrounds out there like the one at Courtright Reservoir. Of course, it sounds like you have a specific idea of what you're wanting and I may not be able to help you.

ArmyofMike

Look at the Fresno 4wd club website. They have a list of trails and opening dates.

http://www.4wdcfresno.net/2015/index.php

This, their webpage describes many of trails around Shaver/Sierra's. This would be a good start. Most you can camp at overnight, with a fire permit and rules of how close to the lakes etc.

There are several other options than the Dusy here. Swamp Lake Trail would be the next best for a "difficult" day trip/multi-day.

Have fun!

lrgbas

Dusy trail

I was up in that area last week and the gate was open at the parking lot at Courtrite, we drove all the way to the campgrounds , so unless there is a gate a chicken ( voyager) rock then it's open

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was up in that area last week and the gate was open at the parking lot at Courtrite, we drove all the way to the campgrounds , so unless there is a gate a chicken ( voyager) rock then it's open

There is a gate there.

Slick rock is a beautiful place to camp and is a fun little trail. It is a day run but can be ran both ways. Trail starts at lake alpine.

jk12blk

Slick rock is a beautiful place to camp and is a fun little trail. It is a day run but can be ran both ways. Trail starts at lake alpine.
Do you think Slickrock and Niagara Rim could be completed in one day or are they too far apart? I've done Slickrock, but not Niagara Rim which looks like a lot of fun and it's not crazy far.

07JKSahara

Do you think Slickrock and Niagara Rim could be completed in one day or are they too far apart? I've done Slickrock, but not Niagara Rim which looks like a lot of fun and it's not crazy far.

I've done niagara. It's fun but short and really dusty at times. I've never known anyone to do them both in a day, but I think they're close enough. Niagara is really pretty towards the end where you can overlook the "Dardenelles"

jk12blk

I've done niagara. It's fun but short and really dusty at times. I've never known anyone to do them both in a day, but I think they're close enough. Niagara is really pretty towards the end where you can overlook the "Dardenelles"
Cool! Thanks 07JKSahara. There is definitely something to said about taking time to enjoy the surroundings. If Barrett Lake opens this summer, I'm adding it to the list as well. :yup:

07JKSahara

Cool! Thanks 07JKSahara. There is definitely something to said about taking time to enjoy the surroundings. If Barrett Lake opens this summer, I'm adding it to the list as well. :yup:

Let me know if you run those, I'd go back almost anytime. I like it up there.

doooodo

Does anyone know of a shortcut between Slick Rock and Niagara Rim? Looks like it's 2:40 mins just going on the highways. I've gotta imagine there's some forest roads that link the two...

Johnny Krawl

I've been there in past July's, Mirror Lake, Coyote Lake, Red Lake, Spanish Trail, McKinley Grove, Strawberry Lakes are all open.

07JKSahara

Does anyone know of a shortcut between Slick Rock and Niagara Rim? Looks like it's 2:40 mins just going on the highways. I've gotta imagine there's some forest roads that link the two...

Bump this question! Im looking too, I'll pm you if I hear back from the U.S. Forest people.

Top Bottom