Sign of alignment being off??

thechrisjones

I just recently got my tires rotated while getting my first oil change(about 2 weeks ago). The picture attached is afterwards when I drove up to a gas station and ran over some dirt. I noticed the outside tread didn't pick up the dirt like the rest of the tire. Is this a sign of my camber being off? ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432214420.250394.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not necessarily. More likely, you are just running too much air in your tires. If you start to see excessive wear on the inside of your tread, you most likely have camber issues.

K.D.C.H

As Eddie said its just that you're running too much air in your tires. If you look on the inside of your tires you should see the same line from the dirt as there is on the outside.

With too much air it will push the center of the tire up and not allow the left and right edges to touch the ground. If they are under inflated then you'll see the exact opposite.

To find out what tire pressure you need to run you can do what's called a chalk test. Cover a section of your tire with chalk (see picture) and then drive in a straight line. Keep lowering or raising the pressure until all the chalk is worn off evenly you should be at the correct pressure.

I run about 28psi in my Trail Grapplers

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432216596.132488.jpg

wcarlson40

Ok, probably a stupid question, but is there any harm in running them at a higher psi? Say 35 psi? It seems like you would get better gas mileage, and eventually the center portion of the tread would wear even with the outside, still giving you the benefit of traction with higher gas mileage.??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, probably a stupid question, but is there any harm in running them at a higher psi? Say 35 psi? It seems like you would get better gas mileage, and eventually the center portion of the tread would wear even with the outside, still giving you the benefit of traction with higher gas mileage.??

You just get premature wear down the middle of your tread and a rougher ride.

Spudcannons

I had a similar issue at 32 psi. I dropped to 28 and the contact was about perfect and the ride was not as rough. Also check if you have excessive play in your steering that gave me issues with traction control being finicky and it feeling like the alignment was off.

K.D.C.H

Bumping to 35 psi will only give you MAYBE an extra 1/2 mpg but you'll ruin the center of your tire in half the time. The money you'll save won't even come close the cost of buying tires sooner than you need plus your ride will be bumpier.

thechrisjones

As Eddie said its just that you're running too much air in your tires. If you look on the inside of your tires you should see the same line from the dirt as there is on the outside.

With too much air it will push the center of the tire up and not allow the left and right edges to touch the ground. If they are under inflated then you'll see the exact opposite.

To find out what tire pressure you need to run you can do what's called a chalk test. Cover a section of your tire with chalk (see picture) and then drive in a straight line. Keep lowering or raising the pressure until all the chalk is worn off evenly you should be at the correct pressure.

I run about 28psi in my Trail Grapplers

View attachment 144391

Good info. I'm running a 37's on 20 inch wheel. (Mud grapplers) Sensor says I'm running 39 psi sometimes 40 psi.

Sounds like I need to deflate!??

Top Bottom