Evo carrier question

davantalus

If I've removed the center cap of my stock rubicon rim pictured here, should the evo tire bracket fit through it?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432533719.269275.jpg

K.D.C.H

I don't see why but wouldn't. I've got ATX Slabs but it should be the same thing, take off the center cap, bolt on the bracket, throw the whole thing onto the tire carrier and then screw on the T handle.

What's going on with it?

davantalus

Guys, it doesn't seem to fit. My hole is too small. :blush:

Carrier bracket "diameter" is ~2.6in... the 2012+ Rubicon wheel center hole seems to be about ~2.4in.

I can't find data... Any chance someone could measure their hole for me?

SFNick

If I've removed the center cap of my stock rubicon rim pictured here, should the evo tire bracket fit through it?

It will not fit the way it's designed to with the stock rims but it will still work all you gotta do is put the tire on the carrier then slide the adapter over the carrier with the bolt side away from the rim then screw in handle. Sounds weird but that's what I did when I had stock rims & I never had a problem. I'll try to find a pic.

JAGS

Hooked
I think if you turn the wheel around, it will be more secure/snug. So have the finished side of the wheel facing the rear of the jeep. Or you could run a spacer. The issue is the back spacing of the stock wheel.

SFNick

I think if you turn the wheel around, it will be more secure/snug. So have the finished side of the wheel facing the rear of the jeep. Or you could run a spacer. The issue is the back spacing of the stock wheel.

The issue is that the center bore of the stock wheels are too small not allowing the EVO adapter plate to pass through.

davantalus

... all you gotta do is put the tire on the carrier then slide the adapter over the carrier with the bolt side away from the rim then screw in handle.

You're a lifesaver! I get what you're saying. I'll go try it.

Yeah, I had it ratchet strapped today and it looks ...ok...

So joking aside, how much would taking off that material from the wheel hole affect its strength, I wonder...

SFNick

So joking aside, how much would taking off that material from the wheel hole affect its strength, I wonder...

I'm not sure how much it would affect it but honestly I wouldn't bother. I ran my stock wheel with a 37" tire for 8 months like that & never had any trouble with it. 👍🏼💯👌🏻

David1tontj

I knew a guy who had researched this for another reason. He had a Toyota that he was going to straight axle swap and the new Hub wouldn't fit through his old rims. He researched and said people were actually re-drilling the center hole bigger. I guess it doesn't affect wheel balancing since it is inside of the lug nuts. Balancing issues occur from the lug nuts outward, not inward.

Personally, if you're only taking .02" off, I can't imagine it makes that much of a difference.

Top Bottom