Is it common for coil springs.....

My drivers side coil spring has shifted out of the bottom perch. It spun clockwise and is on about 2 inches of the spring that should be on the perch? In other words I have about 2 inches of the seated surface of the spring contacting the bottom spring perch? Is this a normal? Maybe something that happens from time to time? If so what the fix to prevent it from happening again?

chipper

My drivers side coil spring has shifted out of the bottom perch. It spun clockwise and is on about 2 inches of the spring that should be on the perch? In other words I have about 2 inches of the seated surface of the spring contacting the bottom spring perch? Is this a normal? Maybe something that happens from time to time? If so what the fix to prevent it from happening again?

Sounds like you need some coil spring retainers to keep them from getting unseated.

CJW

If the shock allows more travel than the spring has it will allow the spring to come unseated. You either need different shocks or spring retainers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, you are running shocks that are too long for your coils. You can try installing coil retainers but unless you're running really tall bump stop extensions, you're most likely bottoming out your shocks as well.

As mentioned, you are running shocks that are too long for your coils. You can try installing coil retainers but unless you're running really tall bump stop extensions, you're most likely bottoming out your shocks as well.

I currently am running the Tera Flex 3" lift with the Tera Flex shocks. Haven't done any serious wheeling or serious flexing. There are the correct bump stop extensions installed. Ive never even disconnected my sway bar links. I've been doing some reading and I believe the spring popped out of the bottom perch due to high speed on wash board roads. I do believe spring retainers will prevent this from happening again. I'll post some photos when I get a chance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I currently am running the Tera Flex 3" lift with the Tera Flex shocks. Haven't done any serious wheeling or serious flexing. There are the correct bump stop extensions installed. Ive never even disconnected my sway bar links. I've been doing some reading and I believe the spring popped out of the bottom perch due to high speed on wash board roads. I do believe spring retainers will prevent this from happening again. I'll post some photos when I get a chance.

Correct bump stop extensions will only help to prevent your shocks from bottoming out. I will do nothing to help keep your shocks in place when your axle is at a full droop. You can believe what you want from the reading you've done but I can guarantee you that your coils will not unseat themselves UNLESS your shocks are too long. You don't need to be disconnected to have this happen and if you really have been driving hard and fast and have had your axle drop out, this can happen. Of course, that's just me.

Are your brake lines running behind your shocks?

Not only that - are they zip tied to the coils? :thinking:

Correct bump stop extensions will only help to prevent your shocks from bottoming out. I will do nothing to help keep your shocks in place when your axle is at a full droop. You can believe what you want from the reading you've done but I can guarantee you that your coils will not unseat themselves UNLESS your shocks are too long. You don't need to be disconnected to have this happen and if you really have been driving hard and fast and have had your axle drop out, this can happen. Of course, that's just me.

Not only that - are they zip tied to the coils? :thinking:

Yeah I'll be driving my beast home in a few weeks and making some changes. I bought the jeep this way and have been learning along the way. What would be your suggestion to make it right?

Top Bottom