Disable TPMS light

hydrohut

Hi all. I have removed my tyre pressure sensors and just want to know if the light can be disabled without having to spend hundreds on a Procal or similar device.
I think I saw something on here a while ago about a procedure you can go through that turns it off but I can't seem to find it. Any helpers?

Hot94Z28

Sorry I used a procal, but if you get a procal if you get bigger tires or any other mod that would require it then you could think of it as an future investment.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So far as I know, the only way to turn off the TPMS light is with a ProCal or Flashcal.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Gonna spend the $'s for a ProCal 'cause the TPMS light is beyond annoying. The last time I aired up leaving Moab it was 150+ miles before it extinguished. Sheesh!:grayno:

hydrohut

Thanks guys, for your input. The tyre guy who put the new valves in told me about the PVC pipe method. Put the four sensors inside a length of PVC pipe sealed at each end with a valve fitted in one end cap. pressurise it to 36lb or so and hide it away somewhere inside the vehicle. I have seen this mentioned on the internet so it must work, lol. Might give it a go sometime and report back. Cant justify the cost of a pro cal as it would be all I would need it for and the light just doesn't annoy me that much.

Wardell

Thanks guys, for your input. The tyre guy who put the new valves in told me about the PVC pipe method. Put the four sensors inside a length of PVC pipe sealed at each end with a valve fitted in one end cap. pressurise it to 36lb or so and hide it away somewhere inside the vehicle. I have seen this mentioned on the internet so it must work, lol. Might give it a go sometime and report back. Cant justify the cost of a pro cal as it would be all I would need it for and the light just doesn't annoy me that much.

I don't think that would work. Your spare should also have a TPMS sensor on it, but I'm pretty sure the Jeep only picks up the sensors for the wheels that are on the axles. Maybe the basic TPMS could be fooled, but the premium TPMS (on Jeeps that have an EVIC readout under the speedometer) seems much more sophisticated. It can read the individual tire pressures, and would show an "--" for pressure in a given tire and give a system error if there was a problem reading one of the sensors (I looked that up on the manual).

I'm really surprised you can't turn the TPMS on or off or change the pressure it goes off at through the EVIC (I thought you could for some reason, that's why I went through the manual). Seems like a huge oversight.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I think older jeeps use indirect sensors. Copied and I don't think the pvc trick would work. I know you have to drive for a bit to get the rotations to shut them off.

An indirect TPMS typically relies on wheel speed sensors that the anti-lock brake system uses. These sensors measure the rate of revolution each wheel is making and can be used by on-board computer systems to compare with each other and to other vehicle operation data such as speed.

Based on the rate of revolution of each wheel, the computer can interpret the relative size of the tires on your vehicle. When a wheel starts spinning faster than expected, the computer calculates that the tire is underinflated and alert the driver accordingly.

So, an indirect tire pressure monitoring system doesn’t actually measure tire pressure. It’s not electronically processing the same kind of measurement you might see with a tire gauge. Instead, an indirect tire pressure monitor simply measures how fast your tires are rotating and sends signals to the computer that will actuate the indicator light when something in the rotation seems amiss.

hydrohut

I don't think that would work. Your spare should also have a TPMS sensor on it, but I'm pretty sure the Jeep only picks up the sensors for the wheels that are on the axles. Maybe the basic TPMS could be fooled, but the premium TPMS (on Jeeps that have an EVIC readout under the speedometer) seems much more sophisticated. It can read the individual tire pressures, and would show an "--" for pressure in a given tire and give a system error if there was a problem reading one of the sensors (I looked that up on the manual).

I'm really surprised you can't turn the TPMS on or off or change the pressure it goes off at through the EVIC (I thought you could for some reason, that's why I went through the manual). Seems like a huge oversight.

Mine doesn't show individual pressures or anything like that. Perhaps later models do. Mine just gives a "ding" when you start and a tyre symbol comes up under the speedo. My spare has had a regular valve in it for ages and the light has worked without it.

I will try the pvc pipe thing sometime, more out of curiosity than anything else.

I think the reason why they don't make it easy to turn them off is because its illegal in some/most places to disable them.

Top Bottom